Used 2002 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Title? ? GARBAGE
By Willie Hopkins

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Do not buy this car, don't even think about it, if you want something sporty and luxurious go for Lexus Honda/Acura will never have my business again, this car is on its 5th transmission and I refuse to get it replaced again the car is known for its transmission problems and recalls the car has been wrecked once due to the cars bad transmission at 75mph it dropped into 1st gear and all the tires locked I spun off the road and had to get towed that was when I was told I'd need my 5th transmission 5 thousand miles in and its already sliiping and locking. Save yourself some trouble and never buy an Acura or a Honda this is dangerous and outrageous especially the fact that the company will only replace your transmission with one that has previously failed after usually giving you the run-a-round this is the worst purchase I have ever made and I advise any buyer to do research on this car before you buy it. It's awesome if you want to replace a transmission every 40-40k miles cheap interior,boring styling but to each his own I suppose have fun. You might get more use out of it as a yard ornimant because it probably wont leave your driveway one day!

Great Car if you like 65,000 mile transmissions
By P. Gerald

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Just don't buy one unless you like buying a transmission from Honda for $2500 every 65, 000 miles. No kidding. Honda set up a plant and sell you one for $2500 when the transmission goes out every 65,000 miles instead of fixing the design problems. Otherwise it's a great driver's car.

I want a new Acura TL just like my 2002
By DGF

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Best car I've ever had. It never left me stranded. I've had it for 12 yrs.

Great car-bad trans.
By Jeff

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Factor 2,500 into the cost of a major transmission rebuild at an independent shop if the car is past the warranty (5,000 at the dealer). It's a matter of when not if this will be needed. My original transmission failed at 30,000 (covered by warranty at no cost) and the replacement failed after 73,000 and American Honda would not help with the cost at all. Hope their new cars are better, I'm not going to take the chance. Time to try another manufacturer.

Love my car but not the transmission
By Ralph

2002 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car "pre-owned" off a lease, 3 yrs old, 30k miles. I have loved this car. Transmission went out at 104K miles and 7 yr, 9 mos from date of purchase. Transmission was replaced, just under the mandated extended warranty, but told new transmission has no warranty. What? I've had two problems with windshield wipers. Other than that, it is a great car. My dealership has been great to me (Atl)

Everything. Rides comfortably, great stereo, great seats, great controls.

Transmission issues.