Used 2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

One of the best
By francis15

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My wife bought this one back in 02 TL type S new and it's been a very reliable car. Great power, fun to drive. Runs like the day we bought it. Not pleased with the Xenon lights. Acura wanted $1,200.00 to replace the ballast I got a new OEM one aftermarket for $150, then $150 to install. The 2nd i did myself. The xenon OEM bulbs are about $95 ea at any auto parts place. You can get aftermarket xenon bulbs to work for about $16 for 2 but supposedly can affect ballast. mine seem to work fine but i am now selling. My wife wants an 2015 MDX. I have to say I am impressed with the 02 TL overall. Acura will gouge the daylights out of you but it is a high performance car.

Do away with HID bulbs, that dual standard/auto transmission is useless. Don't over complicate engineering in an attempt to increase profit on maintenance.

I Love My '02 TL-S!!!!!!
By incinerary

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This was MY first car. Parents supplied me with a '90 Civic for a year. Bought my TL early fall of 2012 with 169K and the fixed tranny and now a year later it has 187K with no problems. I take very good care of my car, I do 5000 mile oil changes with Mobile 1 Extended Performance oil and FRAM Ultra Synthetic Filter, & I don't beat on my car, keep it below 4K RPMs. When looking for a car, i wanted something nobody else has with a great mix of everything from looks to performance. This was the perfect match! It has a very smooth, quiet, and comfortable ride; I can go for a 2 hour drive and not feel soar afterwards. If something happened to this car, I would no doubt get another one!!

This cars looks are amazing! Got it in Aegean Blue Pearl exterior and Black interior and when I saw it in person for the first time, boy was there a huge smile on my face! Everybody loves my car and I've gotten complements from random people too! :D I also have the Acura spoiler and that gives it a way better and sportier look! Interior is roomy and comfortable, & I love my heated leather seats in the winter! Heating and AC kick in really fast. I got new Akebono Brake Pads, Smooth Centric Rotors, and Bridgestone Turanza tires and driving and braking is all very smooth, quiet, and comfortable. Also has plenty of power under the hood and good traction, no hydroplaning and good in the winter!!!

Some folds down rear seats for more cargo space would be nice, but it already has a pretty big trunk. Also from going to a sub-compact vehicle to a mid-sized luxury seden was quite a difference in terms of size. Parking took a little bit to get used to. A tighter turning radius would be nicer. Also the rear visibility isn't bad, but blind spots and backing up was easier in my old car. But this car has a down-tilting side view mirror when the car is put in reverse, and that's a nice feature. Last, I know it's an old car, but some sort of AUX port for my iPod would be nice. Oh well, still has a nice sound system setup in it.

Great car to drive
By luvtypes

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my TL about 4 years ago, and didn't have any major issues. All acura and Honda buyers have ideas about the bad transmission problem but still does not maintain it the way it should be taken care of, i changed transmission oil every 10K and now its just over 300KM on my car and still running strong...Love the car

Not worth the money
By Maggie

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Not only will I never buy another acura again, but I will warn everyone I know to never buy one. Transmission went out a thousand miles over our purchased "extended warranty". Acura should be ashamed that a 1994 Geo Prism has outlasted my way overpriced Acura. $3,000.00 later, transmission still not working, and the car is only worth 5,000!!!! Run, run away from Acura products!!!!!

Roomy for a sedan, nice get-up and go when it works. Love the seat warmers. Like the looks.

CD player is crap. Stopped working at about 80,000. Transmission the same. Repairs costly and even then still not fixed. Clock could use a light.

Good family car
By killerisme

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Our first Acura has been a long distance trooper for the family, and despite three transmissions, overall reliability has been outstanding. Only one of the transmissions actually failed, and it gave plenty of warning. Harper Acura in Knoxville, TN has been great in helping take care of maintenance and the trans issues. 140k miles and it is still a nicer ride than new Accords and Camrys.

Interior build quality and styling are top notch. Features are only now starting to feel dated, nine years later. Great balance between sporting/touring, and engine is smooth and strong.

Yes, transmission is a known issue, and it should be factored into ownership costs plans. Brakes are typical Honda (weak), but aftermarket rotors and pads up front helped.