2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
I Love My '02 TL-S!!!!!!
By incinerary on 10/13/13 16:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This was MY first car. Parents supplied me with a '90 Civic for a year. Bought my TL early fall of 2012 with 169K and the fixed tranny and now a year later it has 187K with no problems. I take very good care of my car, I do 5000 mile oil changes with Mobile 1 Extended Performance oil and FRAM Ultra Synthetic Filter, & I don't beat on my car, keep it below 4K RPMs. When looking for a car, i wanted something nobody else has with a great mix of everything from looks to performance. This was the perfect match! It has a very smooth, quiet, and comfortable ride; I can go for a 2 hour drive and not feel soar afterwards. If something happened to this car, I would no doubt get another one!!

Great car to drive
By luvtypes on 05/22/13 06:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my TL about 4 years ago, and didn't have any major issues. All acura and Honda buyers have ideas about the bad transmission problem but still does not maintain it the way it should be taken care of, i changed transmission oil every 10K and now its just over 300KM on my car and still running strong...Love the car

Not worth the money
By Maggie on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Not only will I never buy another acura again, but I will warn everyone I know to never buy one. Transmission went out a thousand miles over our purchased "extended warranty". Acura should be ashamed that a 1994 Geo Prism has outlasted my way overpriced Acura. $3,000.00 later, transmission still not working, and the car is only worth 5,000!!!! Run, run away from Acura products!!!!!

Good family car
By killerisme on 08/21/10 08:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Our first Acura has been a long distance trooper for the family, and despite three transmissions, overall reliability has been outstanding. Only one of the transmissions actually failed, and it gave plenty of warning. Harper Acura in Knoxville, TN has been great in helping take care of maintenance and the trans issues. 140k miles and it is still a nicer ride than new Accords and Camrys.

Nice car, terrible transmission
By Ralow on 08/09/10 12:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

All the transmission issues you hear about the TL's are very real. I bought mine as a 1 owner trade with 109K. I did all the research and found that the transmission had the recall done and it was serviced at the local Acura dealer. So I went ahead and bought it thinking it might be OK. WRONG. Had to replace the transmission 3 weeks after I bought it & Acura wasn't willing to help out AT ALL even though it was only a few miles over the recall warranty. Needless to say, I ended up paying $4000 extra for a new tranny. The replacement is under warranty for 3 yrs/36,000 but I will likely never buy another used Acura again. Too much hassle and no reliability. Acura's reputation is tarnished IMO.

Great mix of Power/Gas Mileage
By gonzalgi21 on 05/15/10 20:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

02 TL-S bought the car with 64k miles which is amazingly low miles for an 8 year old car. First thing that i noticed right away soon as i bought the car is the POWER the car is extremely fast and the gas mileage is pretty darn good for a 260 hp engine, audio system is also very good.Good old Honda reliability. Unfortunately owning this car is stressful because you never really know when your transmission is going to fail even though i haven't had that problem i know it's coming and there's nothing i can do about it. If this car didn't have these transmission issues i would literally want this car forever.

Worst Car since my 1977 Chevrolet
By R Jarrell on 12/04/09 12:09 PM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I'm on the second Transmission now. It's going bad and the dealer won't acknowledge. Among other failures blower motor, emissions sensor, brake rotors, leaked for over a year - defective rear view mirror, trim is coming loose on dash. Thin metal will dent at the slightest bump. Awful quality. Great mileage though but they lightened it up too much. I will never buy another Acura. Not as good as a regular Honda.

Great car, horrible reliability
By value man on 09/28/09 16:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Why the whole world has not made a big issue that the reliability of this model year's transmission is absolutely horrible is beyond me. Acura should be embarrassed - this model year is a black eye to their reputation of reliable cars.

Acura = Advance
By Blindside on 08/11/09 09:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Acura, had less than 50k miles when I bought it. I love everything about it, my friends are jealous of my ride. Now has 124k miles and no issues. I have upgraded the brakes and rotors to high performance quality, the engine with a Cold air intake and new sparkplugs. Upgraded the exhaust system also. Changed the factory headlights to 10k Blue HIDs. Even installed brand new aftermarket speakers with Amp and sub, and kept the original stereo. Love it all! Best car I've ever owned.

Great traveler
By wenoh appy on 05/02/09 11:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We bought ours new, we own 4 other cars but drive the Acura when we travel, sometimes because of the gps system other times for the comfort and dependability it has given us, however we will not buy another acura because the dealer service was terrible, the car was in several times for a noise that they kept insisting it was brakes, it was transmission. When we picked up our car from the transmission exchange, the radio (BOSE system) showed an error code, they kept the car and reset the code then the CD player showed an error code and they wanted us to buy a new system, never having any prior stereo issues we took it to Bose - Acura didn't remove the cds prior setting code this JAMS the cd deck!!