Used 2002 Acura TL 3.2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Love my car but not the transmission
By Ralph

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car "pre-owned" off a lease, 3 yrs old, 30k miles. I have loved this car. Transmission went out at 104K miles and 7 yr, 9 mos from date of purchase. Transmission was replaced, just under the mandated extended warranty, but told new transmission has no warranty. What? I've had two problems with windshield wipers. Other than that, it is a great car. My dealership has been great to me (Atl)

Favorite Features

Everything. Rides comfortably, great stereo, great seats, great controls.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission issues.

Acura is just average
By Gerhard

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Acura based on consumer reports reliability and performance recommendations. However, my Acura did not live up to my expectations. I spent the extra money on Acura over domestic products and other foreign brands because I thought I was getting top quality. Instead I got many headaches. For the record, I still like the design and I like the performance. However, I did not like the fact that I have had to have my transmission changed 2 times. I am on my third trans and now I have to purchase a new timing belt that is supposed to cost over $1000. And that is only at 7100. Needless to say I would not recommend this model, nor would I endorse this brand any more.

Don't want to trade it in!
By sm

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2002 Acura TL certified pre-owned in 2004 and it's going on 5 years now. It still looks new inside and out. I was thinking about upgrading to the new Acura but was very disappointed in the look of the new models. Tacky interior trim and bulky looking exterior. My blue 02 is SO much better looking. I guess I'll be keeping it for a while. Zero issues with maintenance, no transmission problems.

Favorite Features

Blue paint job holding up well. Luxury interior features still look great, no annoying little chips or plastic things breaking. Quiet comfortable ride, smooth handling.

Suggested Improvements

I wish I could get a new one that looks just like mine! Would like newer electronics and nav package.

A great car that improves with age
By BMW Enthusiast

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We have had the 2002 Acura now for 6 years and the darned thing looks and performs exactly as if it had just pulled out of the dealership. It has always been a surprisingly nimble car, great handling, nice acceleration when you need it; but what's most remarkable is how well it has aged. Still feels like new. Never a single mechanical issue. Rock solid quality. I originally got it for the value and it has more than delivered. It's made me an Acura fan.

Favorite Features

Nimble, responsive, extremely high quality.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had built-in bluetooth like the newer models.

Great Sporty Sedan
By JS

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I picked up my 02 TL in Florida and drove it up to Minnesota about 64,000 miles ago. I now have 112,000 miles on it and it still drives just as nice. I just put in a timing belt, brakes, rotors, crossover cooling line. Acura gave me a 100,000 mi. warranty on the transmission since there were issues with a select few. The only thing I notice is that there sometimes is some hesitation when shifting into D5. You have to wait 1-2 seconds before applying the gas. Great fuel mileage. 26-28 city / 28-31 hwy. Record trip was made with a 34 mpg tank.

Favorite Features

Navigation, control buttons on steering wheel, Bose sound.

Suggested Improvements

Premium fuel only, CDs sometimes need assistance with ejecting.