2002 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
I Love My '02 TL-S!!!!!!
By incinerary on 10/13/13 16:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This was MY first car. Parents supplied me with a '90 Civic for a year. Bought my TL early fall of 2012 with 169K and the fixed tranny and now a year later it has 187K with no problems. I take very good care of my car, I do 5000 mile oil changes with Mobile 1 Extended Performance oil and FRAM Ultra Synthetic Filter, & I don't beat on my car, keep it below 4K RPMs. When looking for a car, i wanted something nobody else has with a great mix of everything from looks to performance. This was the perfect match! It has a very smooth, quiet, and comfortable ride; I can go for a 2 hour drive and not feel soar afterwards. If something happened to this car, I would no doubt get another one!!

Great car to drive
By luvtypes on 05/22/13 06:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my TL about 4 years ago, and didn't have any major issues. All acura and Honda buyers have ideas about the bad transmission problem but still does not maintain it the way it should be taken care of, i changed transmission oil every 10K and now its just over 300KM on my car and still running strong...Love the car

Loved my '02 TL Type S
By tl_lover828 on 10/09/11 09:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my "baby" with about 75k miles 4 years ago. I currently have 220k. I regularly service my car and up until 3 years ago, no problems. It is sad that this beauty has such an issue with the tranny. I paid out of pocket the 1st time, 4k with AAMCO. Acura would only offer a 30 day warranty. (??) 3 yrs & few mos later, it went again. I, well I tried to, have it repaired again. AAMCO had no idea what was wrong nor how to repair it. They had her for almost 6 weeks, with a rental, after I squawked so much. I finally got her back but she not been the same since. I am in the market to buy another car, but nothing else seems to meet my fancy.. I am willing to try a TL again.

Acura Stinks
By Steve on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Be careful of the self dimming mirrors. Bought mine used from a family member with 60000 miles. The mirrors actually have an acid in them. They will leak acid all over your shift lever and the trim (real nice) and melt it. Tranny had the recall done and I am starting to notice problems with it now (currently 68000 original miles). Customer service has got to be the worst in the country. i have had better customer service at a local Sonic drive in. Will never buy another Honda product ever again. The Brakes stink also. The rotors warped and replaced with after market parts and is fone now. Did the work myself and was pretty easy.

Not worth the money
By Maggie on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Not only will I never buy another acura again, but I will warn everyone I know to never buy one. Transmission went out a thousand miles over our purchased "extended warranty". Acura should be ashamed that a 1994 Geo Prism has outlasted my way overpriced Acura. $3,000.00 later, transmission still not working, and the car is only worth 5,000!!!! Run, run away from Acura products!!!!!

Good family car
By killerisme on 08/21/10 08:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Our first Acura has been a long distance trooper for the family, and despite three transmissions, overall reliability has been outstanding. Only one of the transmissions actually failed, and it gave plenty of warning. Harper Acura in Knoxville, TN has been great in helping take care of maintenance and the trans issues. 140k miles and it is still a nicer ride than new Accords and Camrys.

Nice car, terrible transmission
By Ralow on 08/09/10 12:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

All the transmission issues you hear about the TL's are very real. I bought mine as a 1 owner trade with 109K. I did all the research and found that the transmission had the recall done and it was serviced at the local Acura dealer. So I went ahead and bought it thinking it might be OK. WRONG. Had to replace the transmission 3 weeks after I bought it & Acura wasn't willing to help out AT ALL even though it was only a few miles over the recall warranty. Needless to say, I ended up paying $4000 extra for a new tranny. The replacement is under warranty for 3 yrs/36,000 but I will likely never buy another used Acura again. Too much hassle and no reliability. Acura's reputation is tarnished IMO.

Bad transmission
By cp on 06/26/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this acura from a private ownership @ 47,000. It performed beautifully until the transmission went on @ 116,000. I had it serviced at 104,000 and nothing was wrong with it. I have learned that a rebuilt one from the acura dealership would cost $4900. Hello, anyone in there! I paid over $14,000 and still owe $8800. This is truly a LEMON of the technology aged vehicles.I have been told I can build a case with acura that is so far a joke because they told me that I will not get enough credit because I take it to another service provider for the car serviced. If I took it to an acura dealership, I could receive more credit for a new rebuilt transmission. Discrimination?

True to Honda
By Eric on 06/03/10 15:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car brand new and have over 105K miles on it. I did have the transmission replaced once (2007/98K miles), but it was under warranty and 3 years later still no issues. It's a great car, fun to drive and a great value to feature ratio. Very reliable and cost of ownership has been low for me. Overall the car has been a pleasure to own, which is good, since I plan on keeping it another 8 years.

Great mix of Power/Gas Mileage
By gonzalgi21 on 05/15/10 20:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

02 TL-S bought the car with 64k miles which is amazingly low miles for an 8 year old car. First thing that i noticed right away soon as i bought the car is the POWER the car is extremely fast and the gas mileage is pretty darn good for a 260 hp engine, audio system is also very good.Good old Honda reliability. Unfortunately owning this car is stressful because you never really know when your transmission is going to fail even though i haven't had that problem i know it's coming and there's nothing i can do about it. If this car didn't have these transmission issues i would literally want this car forever.