Used 2001 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Great Car of the Money
By DCooper

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Acura product. My wife had a 1996 Honda Accord EXL and a 2000 AccordEX V6 which we like. However, my TL is a far better car in appearance and ride. With the price adjustment down in 1999 by $4k, I decided to get the TL in 12/2000. I just turned over 50,000 miles this week so I am out of warranty but I believe the quality is there to keep the car for another 3 years. I have enjoyed my TL and while it is paid off, I do not plan to replace it any time soon. I am not impressed with the style of the new 2004 TL. I would recommend the TL as a good use car buy if the car has been well maintained and the mileage is under 60,000 miles.

Smooth refined engine, handling, heated seats, bose sound system with a CD along with the cassette, Xenon head lights, automatic climate control, nice leather seats, adjustable front arm rest, outside temperature guage,sport shift transmission is nice for hill decents but does not replace a manual

Auto on head lights, six way passager front seat vs. four way, heated exterior mirrors should be on a timer, 60/40 folding rear seat, better fuel mileage in city driving, use regular gas not premium, transmission problems are disappointing even with the extended warranty, improve front cup holders

2001 TL Acura
By Mrs. Markel

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I used to LOVE my TL until I had 4 transmissions for the car before 40,000 miles. The last time it was in the shop (8/2004) they told me come pick it up it runs beautifully. Tried to start it the next day and now the starter is out. Don't buy TL.

Recall 2001 TL and give consumers refunds. Cannot with a clear conscience sell this car to a private party and no dealer would give me a decent price with known transmission problems.

There's nothing like a Honda product
By Russell2372

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

While Acuras in general do not rate well with critics due to their conservative styling, a quick sample of user opinions will give you ample reasons to purchase one. They are a Honda product and are unmatched in quality and reliability. This is my second Acura over the last 12 years as I previously owned a Vigor. In that span I have had no mechanical problems other than routine maintainence. It also helps that I have had very favorable experiences with my local dealership. The service has matched the quality of the vehicle.

225 HP engine - very responsive, interior styling and controls, trunk space

Rear seating needs a little more leg room

TL recap
By Nadeau

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Sporty, Dependable, excellent price/performance ratio with good resale value after 3 years

Ergonomics of radio controls, driver leg room, navigation system

need full time clock when not using navigation system, off switch for navigation system and took too long for the navigation upgrade CD

quality without being overboard
By sylvesr

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle is sound, comfortable, pleasant to drive, not too sporty. Great sound and navigation system. Had to replace rear wheel bearing at 20,000 miles! All repairs under excellent warranty. Some discoloration in airbag cover NOT handled well by dealership.

Sound system. Good reserve power when you punch it.

Auto transmission tries to be too clever, downshifting on slowing down slopes, for example. Takes getting used to.