Used 2001 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Most Helpful|
Bad Transmission by Darius Erby
By Darius Erby

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle, but the only issue I have with this vehicle is that it has transmission issues. I knew that the Acuras and Hondas from year 98 to 04 had transmission issues, but they extended the warrany out to 100000 miles. My trans went out at 90000 miles. It had 50000 on it when I bought it. I bought it in Atlanta. My trans went out on me in the mountains in Tennessee. I was frightened because my rpm's just started going crazy, I was driving about 70 mph and then my car just stopped accelerating and it started rolling backwards down the mountain, as it was rolling back I was able to roll into the emergency lane, and I almost got hit by a few 18 wheelers.

Favorite Features

The power, the performance, and the heaviness of it. Everything else is reliable except the transmission.

Suggested Improvements

MAKE A BETTER TRANSMISSION so you don't have customers being stranded in the mountains for 6 hours. I missed my 21st birthday party,due to the fact that I was driving from Atlanta to Chicago, because I was stuck in Chattanooga, TN for 2 days due to a bad trans.

No problems
By paul

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've driven my TL daily and put on 140,000 miles and have never had a problem with this car. I drove GM vehicles primarily prior to this and had more issues than I care to remember. Since owning this car, I'm sold on Honda quality.

Favorite Features

reliability and build quality

Suggested Improvements

plain exterior, but new TL looks awesome

2001 Acura TL 3.2L (65K miles)
By vb4000

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The Acura TL is a basically a Honda Accord with more fit and trim. If that's okay with you, then you'll love this car. Personally, I think the car looks girly. I have it in white, and I'm not a huge fan of the design. I've seen it in blue and black and it looks much better. -Transmission was replaced at 56K miles. -The 3.2L is a reliable engine that has plenty of pep and a surprising amount of power down low. It won't exactly blow your hair back, but it's a quick car if/when it has to be. As per gas mileage, it's not that impressive. Edmund's says 20pmg, and they're pretty much dead on. For a V6, it isn't exactly a gas sipper.

Favorite Features

--The interior seats are comfortable, seat heaters are a nice option, and the cup-holders and big and well placed; I haven't spilled my coffee once. They're also removable to clean, which is a nice feature. --The TL that I have has a sunroof, with a pop-up feature which is nice, but I dread the day it stops working. Also, the rear windows go completely down, so my friends enjoy that. --The car came with Xenon headlights (the person I bought it from said that was stock) which I also think is a nice feature. No automatic headlights, which was disappointing, but the car will chime if you leave them on to remind you. --The car heats up very fast and heat comes up right away - Great in winter.

Suggested Improvements

--No automatic headlights. --Trunk and fuel door release are in stupid spots. --Radio is not impressive, the speakers blew out on me twice already and I don't blast the music. --Transmission was replaced as I previously stated. The refurbished one I bought still slips when cold. --Steering is sluggish once it gets moving. Car has 65000 miles but handles like it's way older than that. Just doesn't have the tight feel you'd expect. Feels heavy and slow to respond. Suspension rides really nice over the bump, but the power steering and the overall design/width of the car give it a really dull handling experience.

A Keeper
By coppet

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new fall of 2000. New Honda transmission at 23K miles (warranty). New wheel bearing (LR) at 24K miles (warranty). Kept it up by the book with Acura doing major work. Now it time to reap the rewards of buying a very good car and keeping up with upkeep. It's still solid, peppy, handles well (I prefer modest profile tires for quietness). Sound system rivals anything on the road. Nav system is a bit long in the tooth now, but still works just fine. DVD nav system is a bit outdated and takes up a bit of trunk space. Never get over 23-24 on the highway. Now using cheapest regular gas and it's still purring along just fine.

Favorite Features

comfort, handling, quality of ride are all top notch, even after 12 years of work day use.

Suggested Improvements

AC tries to use outside temp to set its controls. Usually this is not accurate. Have to use the NAV system screen to control AC fan manually, an inconvenience.

Disheartened TL Owner
By DaAcuraTL

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Was continually taking it into the shop for repairs. There were 37 repairs in 7 years and this is not counting servicing, which were all done on time. Multiple attempts to fix the nav system (7 months); multiple attempts to fix handling problems on two separate occasions (23 months total); had to replace molding between doors 11 times; had to replace all four window drive units at separate times; had to replace heater system; had to replace one motor mount; had to replace windshield washer pump assembly; had to replace door latching system in passenger door and driver's door is going out also; had to replace all the brakes at 19,000 miles; and had to replace positive battery cable.

Favorite Features

I like the acceleration, the looks of the car, the feel of the car and the way you mold into the driver's seat. I like the attention it gets when it's not in the shop for repairs.

Suggested Improvements

They need to improve on quality and reliability. You spend too much for a car that has to spend so much time in the repair shop.