Used 2001 Acura TL Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

2001 Acura TL
By TLowner

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My TL rides great after 7 years. One major problem I had was that the AC wasn't working and it took 3 times to the shop to fix. The door trim also peeled and cracked after 2 years and the cushion on the center console deflated. After 6 years, the paint started fading. You would think that Acura would build their cars better than that. I still like driving my TL but wished the looks lasted longer.

Disheartened TL Owner
By DaAcuraTL

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Was continually taking it into the shop for repairs. There were 37 repairs in 7 years and this is not counting servicing, which were all done on time. Multiple attempts to fix the nav system (7 months); multiple attempts to fix handling problems on two separate occasions (23 months total); had to replace molding between doors 11 times; had to replace all four window drive units at separate times; had to replace heater system; had to replace one motor mount; had to replace windshield washer pump assembly; had to replace door latching system in passenger door and driver's door is going out also; had to replace all the brakes at 19,000 miles; and had to replace positive battery cable.

I like the acceleration, the looks of the car, the feel of the car and the way you mold into the driver's seat. I like the attention it gets when it's not in the shop for repairs.

They need to improve on quality and reliability. You spend too much for a car that has to spend so much time in the repair shop.

Still going strong
By Jimmy Mac

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new 9/2000. First 30K was commuting back and forth to Cleveland from home (420 miles one way). This car is coming up on 95K, still runs great, looks good and I plan on keeping it. Best car (value) I have ever owned.

Runs strong and great sound system.

Radio reception could be better, have to replace wipers 2x a year.

Great except for transmission
By don denton

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

TL has proven an excellent auto with a quarter million miles plus over less than 6 years. Only gripe is the transmission. Acura replaced the first one at 92,000 miles at no charge, and I replaced the second one at 230,000 miles at an expensive charge. Other than this one negative, the auto has had only one small problem, which cost <$150. High-end Michelin tires last 120,000 miles. This auto has been a very high value buy.

Gas mileage has been outstanding.

Transmission!!

Bad Transmission by Darius Erby
By Darius Erby

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle, but the only issue I have with this vehicle is that it has transmission issues. I knew that the Acuras and Hondas from year 98 to 04 had transmission issues, but they extended the warrany out to 100000 miles. My trans went out at 90000 miles. It had 50000 on it when I bought it. I bought it in Atlanta. My trans went out on me in the mountains in Tennessee. I was frightened because my rpm's just started going crazy, I was driving about 70 mph and then my car just stopped accelerating and it started rolling backwards down the mountain, as it was rolling back I was able to roll into the emergency lane, and I almost got hit by a few 18 wheelers.

The power, the performance, and the heaviness of it. Everything else is reliable except the transmission.

MAKE A BETTER TRANSMISSION so you don't have customers being stranded in the mountains for 6 hours. I missed my 21st birthday party,due to the fact that I was driving from Atlanta to Chicago, because I was stuck in Chattanooga, TN for 2 days due to a bad trans.