Used 2001 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

A Keeper
By coppet

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new fall of 2000. New Honda transmission at 23K miles (warranty). New wheel bearing (LR) at 24K miles (warranty). Kept it up by the book with Acura doing major work. Now it time to reap the rewards of buying a very good car and keeping up with upkeep. It's still solid, peppy, handles well (I prefer modest profile tires for quietness). Sound system rivals anything on the road. Nav system is a bit long in the tooth now, but still works just fine. DVD nav system is a bit outdated and takes up a bit of trunk space. Never get over 23-24 on the highway. Now using cheapest regular gas and it's still purring along just fine.

comfort, handling, quality of ride are all top notch, even after 12 years of work day use.

AC tries to use outside temp to set its controls. Usually this is not accurate. Have to use the NAV system screen to control AC fan manually, an inconvenience.

My best car ever
By mysterger

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

xI have owned this car since it was new, purchased September 2000. I had the transmission replaced at about 34,000 miles by Acura at no extra charge. Since then, I've had no issues with the transmission and mileage currently stands at 153,000 miles. The car still drives and runs beautifully. It is serviced regularly by an Acura dealership and I love their service. For a twelve years old, people who don't know too much about cars think it is just a 3 or 4 years old. Last month, I had the oil changed along with a tire rotation. When I was about to get in my car and leave after the work was done, the mechanic who did the work came outside and offered me $6500 for it! I couldn't believe it.

The factory Nav system. Couldn't be simpler to use. The car's exterior design is timeless elegance. Even after this car's introduction in 1999, it still looks clean and fresh.

Better brake feel. Acura should use glass for the headlights. The headlights are getting the automotive equivalent of cataracts. As do just about all cars eventually.

2001 Acura TL 3.2L (65K miles)
By vb4000

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The Acura TL is a basically a Honda Accord with more fit and trim. If that's okay with you, then you'll love this car. Personally, I think the car looks girly. I have it in white, and I'm not a huge fan of the design. I've seen it in blue and black and it looks much better. -Transmission was replaced at 56K miles. -The 3.2L is a reliable engine that has plenty of pep and a surprising amount of power down low. It won't exactly blow your hair back, but it's a quick car if/when it has to be. As per gas mileage, it's not that impressive. Edmund's says 20pmg, and they're pretty much dead on. For a V6, it isn't exactly a gas sipper.

--The interior seats are comfortable, seat heaters are a nice option, and the cup-holders and big and well placed; I haven't spilled my coffee once. They're also removable to clean, which is a nice feature. --The TL that I have has a sunroof, with a pop-up feature which is nice, but I dread the day it stops working. Also, the rear windows go completely down, so my friends enjoy that. --The car came with Xenon headlights (the person I bought it from said that was stock) which I also think is a nice feature. No automatic headlights, which was disappointing, but the car will chime if you leave them on to remind you. --The car heats up very fast and heat comes up right away - Great in winter.

--No automatic headlights. --Trunk and fuel door release are in stupid spots. --Radio is not impressive, the speakers blew out on me twice already and I don't blast the music. --Transmission was replaced as I previously stated. The refurbished one I bought still slips when cold. --Steering is sluggish once it gets moving. Car has 65000 miles but handles like it's way older than that. Just doesn't have the tight feel you'd expect. Feels heavy and slow to respond. Suspension rides really nice over the bump, but the power steering and the overall design/width of the car give it a really dull handling experience.

Keep going and going
By The Ottoman

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving it for about 7 years now and had to change it's transmission once. Other than that no issues at all. I haven't changed the brakes even after driving 90k miles. I only changed battery, wipers and tires, and that's about it! Gas mileage is 29 in city which is excellent. It still drives like new and I'm planning to keep it forever or give it to my college kid in 10 years...:-))

Quality, reliability, smooth transmission, comfy ride

nothing...!

Edmunds mpg Correction
By A Owner

2001 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I found the TL gets between 26 and 30 mpg depending on the type of driving and octane rating of the gas. I have no idea where Edmunds got the 20 mpg on their rating service.