Used 2001 Acura TL 3.2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

2001 Acura TL 3.2L (65K miles)
By vb4000

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The Acura TL is a basically a Honda Accord with more fit and trim. If that's okay with you, then you'll love this car. Personally, I think the car looks girly. I have it in white, and I'm not a huge fan of the design. I've seen it in blue and black and it looks much better. -Transmission was replaced at 56K miles. -The 3.2L is a reliable engine that has plenty of pep and a surprising amount of power down low. It won't exactly blow your hair back, but it's a quick car if/when it has to be. As per gas mileage, it's not that impressive. Edmund's says 20pmg, and they're pretty much dead on. For a V6, it isn't exactly a gas sipper.

Favorite Features

--The interior seats are comfortable, seat heaters are a nice option, and the cup-holders and big and well placed; I haven't spilled my coffee once. They're also removable to clean, which is a nice feature. --The TL that I have has a sunroof, with a pop-up feature which is nice, but I dread the day it stops working. Also, the rear windows go completely down, so my friends enjoy that. --The car came with Xenon headlights (the person I bought it from said that was stock) which I also think is a nice feature. No automatic headlights, which was disappointing, but the car will chime if you leave them on to remind you. --The car heats up very fast and heat comes up right away - Great in winter.

Suggested Improvements

--No automatic headlights. --Trunk and fuel door release are in stupid spots. --Radio is not impressive, the speakers blew out on me twice already and I don't blast the music. --Transmission was replaced as I previously stated. The refurbished one I bought still slips when cold. --Steering is sluggish once it gets moving. Car has 65000 miles but handles like it's way older than that. Just doesn't have the tight feel you'd expect. Feels heavy and slow to respond. Suspension rides really nice over the bump, but the power steering and the overall design/width of the car give it a really dull handling experience.

Keep going and going
By The Ottoman

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving it for about 7 years now and had to change it's transmission once. Other than that no issues at all. I haven't changed the brakes even after driving 90k miles. I only changed battery, wipers and tires, and that's about it! Gas mileage is 29 in city which is excellent. It still drives like new and I'm planning to keep it forever or give it to my college kid in 10 years...:-))

Favorite Features

Quality, reliability, smooth transmission, comfy ride

Suggested Improvements

nothing...!

Edmunds mpg Correction
By A Owner

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I found the TL gets between 26 and 30 mpg depending on the type of driving and octane rating of the gas. I have no idea where Edmunds got the 20 mpg on their rating service.

Acura quality? Not in this car.
By The Lark

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It's not a secret that Acura installed defective transmissions that blow anywhere from 50K to 100K miles. But we've had acid (yes, acid) leak from the electronic rear view mirror onto the shifter, melting the plastic overnight. Apart these unacceptable problems, you have a car that is underwhelming to drive. The engine has nice power, but it's mated to a jerky, malfunctioning transmission (manual mode doesn't cooperated either), and insensitive accelerator feel. Body roll was mentioned in the review, but this car has an absolutely laughable turning radius. If you want to drive to the other gas pump you'll end up back out in the street.

Favorite Features

Powerful V-6, leather seats, climate controls, interior comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Defective transmission (recalled), pedal feel, non-responsive manual mode, weak steering, massive turning radius, rear view leaks dangerous fluid. No kidding.

No problems
By paul

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've driven my TL daily and put on 140,000 miles and have never had a problem with this car. I drove GM vehicles primarily prior to this and had more issues than I care to remember. Since owning this car, I'm sold on Honda quality.

Favorite Features

reliability and build quality

Suggested Improvements

plain exterior, but new TL looks awesome