2001 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
2001 Acura TL 3.2L (65K miles)
By vb4000 on 03/08/12 18:57 PM (PST)

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The Acura TL is a basically a Honda Accord with more fit and trim. If that's okay with you, then you'll love this car. Personally, I think the car looks girly. I have it in white, and I'm not a huge fan of the design. I've seen it in blue and black and it looks much better. -Transmission was replaced at 56K miles. -The 3.2L is a reliable engine that has plenty of pep and a surprising amount of power down low. It won't exactly blow your hair back, but it's a quick car if/when it has to be. As per gas mileage, it's not that impressive. Edmund's says 20pmg, and they're pretty much dead on. For a V6, it isn't exactly a gas sipper.

Keep going and going
By The Ottoman on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving it for about 7 years now and had to change it's transmission once. Other than that no issues at all. I haven't changed the brakes even after driving 90k miles. I only changed battery, wipers and tires, and that's about it! Gas mileage is 29 in city which is excellent. It still drives like new and I'm planning to keep it forever or give it to my college kid in 10 years...:-))

Edmunds mpg Correction
By A Owner on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I found the TL gets between 26 and 30 mpg depending on the type of driving and octane rating of the gas. I have no idea where Edmunds got the 20 mpg on their rating service.

Acura quality? Not in this car.
By The Lark on 08/24/10 09:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It's not a secret that Acura installed defective transmissions that blow anywhere from 50K to 100K miles. But we've had acid (yes, acid) leak from the electronic rear view mirror onto the shifter, melting the plastic overnight. Apart these unacceptable problems, you have a car that is underwhelming to drive. The engine has nice power, but it's mated to a jerky, malfunctioning transmission (manual mode doesn't cooperated either), and insensitive accelerator feel. Body roll was mentioned in the review, but this car has an absolutely laughable turning radius. If you want to drive to the other gas pump you'll end up back out in the street.

No problems
By paul on 11/25/09 08:19 AM (PST)

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've driven my TL daily and put on 140,000 miles and have never had a problem with this car. I drove GM vehicles primarily prior to this and had more issues than I care to remember. Since owning this car, I'm sold on Honda quality.

I guess I'm a poser
By keith on 03/31/09 16:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is definitely a great car in every area except exterior design. Love the engine, gas mileage, Bose sound system, handling and build quality is superb. If I didn't have to look at it and think of a BMW M3, This would be the car for me. Think I'll trade it for one.

Reliable, Well Built and Almost Fun!!!
By JLO on 11/04/08 09:33 AM (PST)

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I loved this vehicle since it came out in 96, but could not afford it back then. I finally got a pre-owned one in 2004 with only 20K miles in it. I took it to the dealership for the warranty tranny to add the cooling oil jet for the 3rd gear and never had a problem. It's a great car, reliable, comfortable, nice craftsmanship and powerful, but a bit too large for my taste as I like to corner it hard. My next vehicle will be an Acura TSX, Honda Accord or Civic SI.

Had a lot of fun with this car, but ....
By Doug on 01/11/08 14:46 PM (PST)

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my TL with navi for 7 years now! I still enjoy driving the car, but I have had too many issues with the transmission to give it a good rating. I am on my 4th transmission already but the dealership has worked with me to have it replaced each time. The car drives smoothly and the navi is great! Overall, I have been very happy with the car and I would purchase a new one, provided the transmission issue is fixed.

2001 Acura TL
By TLowner on 11/30/07 08:09 AM (PST)

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My TL rides great after 7 years. One major problem I had was that the AC wasn't working and it took 3 times to the shop to fix. The door trim also peeled and cracked after 2 years and the cushion on the center console deflated. After 6 years, the paint started fading. You would think that Acura would build their cars better than that. I still like driving my TL but wished the looks lasted longer.

Disheartened TL Owner
By DaAcuraTL on 10/04/07 19:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Was continually taking it into the shop for repairs. There were 37 repairs in 7 years and this is not counting servicing, which were all done on time. Multiple attempts to fix the nav system (7 months); multiple attempts to fix handling problems on two separate occasions (23 months total); had to replace molding between doors 11 times; had to replace all four window drive units at separate times; had to replace heater system; had to replace one motor mount; had to replace windshield washer pump assembly; had to replace door latching system in passenger door and driver's door is going out also; had to replace all the brakes at 19,000 miles; and had to replace positive battery cable.