2000 Acura TL Consumer Review: Best car in last 14 years

2000 Acura TL - Consumer Review

3.2 Sedan (3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic)

Best car in last 14 years
By xdamian on

2000 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Purchased it Nov 1999. Only has 44,700 miles. Car is anvil strong. No squeaks, or vibrations. Needed front left engine mount 7 years ago; have replaced only routine maintenance since. Original everything else including Xenon headlamps. Corners at 80 with car rotation (need to feel it to understand). Front dashboard like new (with no special care except occasional cover to keep sun off surfaces in summer). All electrics work perfectly and never needed fixing. Maintenance suggested new tires, (dry rot from lack of use) battery through some pretty tough N VA winters and timing belt (to be changed every 10 years despite mine not needing it). Super quiet, no acceleration lag whatsoever.

Favorite Features

Sport shift is great fun (drives semiautomatic shift as well as normal automatic). Last test run got between 29.7-30.3 mpg highway and car was loaded with heavy groceries (3 ensure 32 pack boxes) as well as full trunk. Still love beautiful lines of forward tilted look (with no smiley face like on today's TL's). Was told car looks like it is speeding while it is standing still. Front wheel drive in heavy VA winters left me moving while others were caught in drifts. Simply nothing wrong with just routine maintenance. Same transmission and headlamps (while others report need to replace in other reviews).

Suggested Improvements

Unaware of why front engine mount needed re-placing 7 years ago ($1800). while overhead light between passenger and driver has come loose (but still works like new). That's it!
By xdamian
on 10/23/14 17:56 PM (PDT)

Now almost 2015, I still have had no problems, it is still quiet, still my trusty steed. Of course a lot has happened since the year 2000 and I find myself missing the high tech Tesla concepts, although I could buy three of these cars for one of those. But the thought of updating a car by sending software to the car to update it (through cell phone technology) would be a great improvement. I did change the tires, replaced with the Michelin V rated originally called for and now let Sears do some of the upkeep, like oil changes and transmission flushing and replacing as well as radiator flushing since Acura does charge a pretty penny and Sears has nice specials. But for this car to run as quietly, and corner as it did when new (and did not have the airbag issues the 2002-2003TL had)and look inside as brilliantly as the day I bought it is astonishing. Unless the Tesla $30,000 version comes out in the next 3 years, you will still see me driving the TL with pride. heated seats, heated outside mirrors, inside mirror with auto dimming with both blueish head lights and yellow krypton brights I believe to be unique even today. Simply a joy to ride and own and still 30 mpg highway.