2000 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews 2

2000 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

3.2 3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic - (92 reviews )

2000 TL Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
It won't let me by a new car!
By playday rider

2000 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

8 years ago it was time to get serious and buy a car I was going to keep for the next 8 years. Of course, we all say that, but how many of us keep a car that long. This car is the exception, not the rule. I love this car, always have. It drives as smooth and as quiet, and as much power and is as comfortable as when it was new, perhaps even more so. Well designed, perfect size and weight, plenty of power. I didn't get the nav system, but I hear the older ones aren't really that great anyway and they were overpriced. So today, it probably would be worthless. I'll probably keep this car another 8 years or until I get tired of it. Only drawback is it calls for premium - but runs good on plus.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. For the size and power, the gas mileage is exceptional. Recently on a 4,000 mile trip I averaged, with a full car, and at 75 - 80 the entire way, 30.5 mpg. This was after I put new tires on it, and did the 100K mile service. Not an exaggeration - the absolute truth!

Suggested Improvements

Somehow get this to run as well on regular gas, without sacrificing the feeling of refinement you get with this powerful and quiet v6 engine. Also, the interior is a little on the bland side cosmetically, but the materials used are top notch.

2000 TL
By jwd

2000 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Bought it used in 2004. It only had 25,000 miles. Runs great, rides great, looks great. Not a fan of having to use premium gas but it has delivered performance and reasonable gas mileage. Wouldn't hesitate to hop in and take off on a 3000 mile road trip.

Favorite Features

Engine, stereo, climate control, comfort, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Develop engine that does not require premium.

Worth Every Penny
By KingGeorge

2000 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

August 31, 2007 marked the 7th anniversary for my ownership of this solid machine. Bose sound system is unsurpassed. Smooth ride, far more superior than the 2005 330BMW xi. Paramount level of precise engineering when it comes to areodynamics...the car basicall hugs the road. I only replaced tires once, battery once, transmission fluid once, brake fluid once, and periodic oil change. That's it. Make sure to read the owner's manual and not to go about replacing stuff that are not listed.

Favorite Features

Bose system with subwoofer, interior design, leather arrangement, TCS, independent suspension that works, Tiptronic, and "mean" look.

Suggested Improvements

CD-R or CD-WR player (back in 2000 these cds were close to unknown anyway) with 6-disc, less protruding alloy wheels. A little more fuel economy without compromising torque.

A decent automobile
By Nutmegger22

2000 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Our 2000 Dark Emerald Pearl TL was purchased used in 2003 with 50,000 miles. With now over 131,000 miles, the car has been very satisfactory on its journeys all across New England. Reliability has been good. A malfunctioning power seat back on the driver's side and dismal seat heating have been the only issues thus far. The trim is starting to separate from the handle on the inside of the rear doors and the Xenon headlights are not as bright as when we first got the car - normal wear and tear. Luckily, we've had no issues with the transmission (knock on wood). My son's '96 Maxima seems to have better pick up but the TL is sufficient for most.

Favorite Features

Bose sound system, Xenon-headlamps, Acura reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Allow stereo to play burned CDs. A 1992 Legend offered memory seating and a 2000 TL doesn't? Overall, very satisfied. Will be buying a 2005 TL in the near future.

Excellent travel car
By papnjoan

2000 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

This car has provided us with excellent service and comfortability especially on trips. The Mrs. says it is the finest riding car she has ever owned. Both husband and wife enjoy driving the vehicle. The car seems to hold its beauty in design and when taken care of continually looks as if it is a brand new car. Our satisfaction is so great that we would now not consider another make car.

Favorite Features

1. Design - still looks sharp. 2. Ride comfort - still fresh at the end of a long trip. Smooth ride. 3. Power - great get up and go when needed. 4. Audio system - Bose system is pleasurable. 5. Interior design - attractive and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Better seat belt system. Awkward for males when seats moved back but that is minor.

Awesome, Awesome Car!!
By chicagodesi

2000 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

I just purchased this car almost 2 weeks ago and I could not be happier. It's got black on black, chrome wheels and spoiler, and upgraded wood trim. I love the roominess and the performance is more than wonderful. I love how quiet and solidly built the car is and I have not experienced any of the transmission issues that seem to have plagued these cars. I got a 4 year/48000 mile extended warranty so that does give me plenty of peace of mind with the car. I love how it handles and the looks still get plenty of rave reviews.

Favorite Features

Upgraded wood trim, chrome wheels, xenon headlights, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade the CD player so that it plays burned CDs!! The Acura only plays certain brands of cd's that are burned at a low speed.

I LOVE this car!!!!!!
By Gfaze

2000 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in October of 2006 after literally years of research. Every time I weighed the choices, the TL always came out on top! The sportshift works great, no transmission issues (knock on wood) and no complaints. Bought it in flawless, mint condition from a local, reliable used car dealer. It's fun to drive, looks sweet (silver), and performs like a champ. I bought it to replace my aging but reliable, 94 Ford Thunderbird LX (V8). It had a lot of overdue maintenance needs and a dying transmission which would have cost more than it was worth. I still miss that 4.6L V8 roar though.

Favorite Features

Performance, styling, even though some say it's bland, I really like it. The Bose stereo sounds great. The fact that it comes loaded made it easy to shop for one.

Suggested Improvements

It could use some more horsepower but I don't think I'm ever satisfied. Factory foglights would've been nice. Maybe rear heated seats? CD-changer.

Beauty and Peace of Mind
By Green Dragon

2000 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Bought her brand new and named her "Perfect". She is. No mechanical issues. Maneuvering capabilities are unsurpassed for the class. Enough horse power (225) for the local and highways. Sufficient acceleration power to merge traffic. Xenon lights are long lasting.

Favorite Features

Bose sound system with subwoofer.

Suggested Improvements

Rear mirror automatic dimming stops functioning after 2 years. Trims are sort of "protruding" that easily come in contact with (or scratched by) the curb.

Transmission woes
By tam-o-shanter12

2000 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

This is my second Acura. I bought it after having a great experience with my older Legend which currently has over 340,000 miles on it with minimal problems. Overall the TL is really great but the problems with the transmission make it overwhelming disappointing. I had the first trans replaced at 100,000 miles and before the original recall (I don't drive the car hard or use the sport shift) and this new transmission only has 73,000 miles and is failing. Of course, Acura refuses to replace the second transmission, which is no different than the original that was in the car. Sorry, but I will never buy an Acura again.

Sorry I bought it
By FoSho69

2000 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

This is the 2nd Tl I've owned in the past 3 years. My first one had the navigation system. The car ran pretty good, except for the navigation performance. It wouldn't hold the GPS position if it's life depended on it, although it was very user friendly. I currently have a 2000 TL and I dread the day I bought it. First off, The transmission. It was sticking, then gave out altogether, stranding me along the road. I've taken it to acura numerous times for service and I get the run-around. I was furious when it finally broke. It also has the worse cup holders. Also, playing burnt CD's from home is impossible. When I get another car very soon, I will buy another Lexus.

Favorite Features

Xenon headlamps, performance, 160mph speedometer, styling, gas mileage (I average about 21 mpg city.)

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, transmission, transmission. Did I mention transmission? Also, fix the cup holders. taking average bends at more then 15mph results in a coffee-covered right thigh. I would also like to see an improvement in Acura's service department. If you see a problem, just fix it.