Used 2000 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

2000 Acura TL

3.2 3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic - (92 reviews )

Best car in last 14 years
By xdamian

2000 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Purchased it Nov 1999. Only has 44,700 miles. Car is anvil strong. No squeaks, or vibrations. Needed front left engine mount 7 years ago; have replaced only routine maintenance since. Original everything else including Xenon headlamps. Corners at 80 with car rotation (need to feel it to understand). Front dashboard like new (with no special care except occasional cover to keep sun off surfaces in summer). All electrics work perfectly and never needed fixing. Maintenance suggested new tires, (dry rot from lack of use) battery through some pretty tough N VA winters and timing belt (to be changed every 10 years despite mine not needing it). Super quiet, no acceleration lag whatsoever.

Favorite Features

Sport shift is great fun (drives semiautomatic shift as well as normal automatic). Last test run got between 29.7-30.3 mpg highway and car was loaded with heavy groceries (3 ensure 32 pack boxes) as well as full trunk. Still love beautiful lines of forward tilted look (with no smiley face like on today's TL's). Was told car looks like it is speeding while it is standing still. Front wheel drive in heavy VA winters left me moving while others were caught in drifts. Simply nothing wrong with just routine maintenance. Same transmission and headlamps (while others report need to replace in other reviews).

Suggested Improvements

Unaware of why front engine mount needed re-placing 7 years ago ($1800). while overhead light between passenger and driver has come loose (but still works like new). That's it!

One of the best
By realtordl87

2000 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

One of the best cars I've owned. I just purchased it this year 2012 and it's a 2000. I traded in a 2009 Pontiac G5 GT with only 37,000 miles in on this car which had 122,000 miles at purcahse and I would do it over again. I absolutely love the way the car drives, the interior, and the outside. It drives smooth as a brand new car. The only thing that I have an issue with is the cup holders. They don't really do anything with a 20 oz water bottle or pop bottle, it more or less just topples front to back when driving. I'm a realtor by trade and the car is more than spacious enough. I could have bought a newer car, but I really prefer Model years 1999-2001 for some reason.

Favorite Features

All the standard features including, sunroof, heated seats, power just about everything. Huge trunk storage, great long haul comfortable seats, extremely bright headlamps. Very easy to just get in and drive. Nothing overly complicated to learn about the car.

Suggested Improvements

There's features I miss from my old car including bluetooth etc, but they weren't available back then... So really nothing, if you want a newer car, buy a newer car, I bought this car by choice.

2000 TL
By romandiaz

2000 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

2000 TL has 164,000 miles for original owner. Other than the usual recommended maintenance items, the only unscheduled repair was the $5,000 transmission replacement at 120,000. The car just runs with 28mpg, freeway, 23 around our hilly town. All 4 struts have been replaced by dealer ~$2000 and the tires have been replaced 3 times. Battery replaced 3 times. Brakes have been replaced once. The leather looks great inside but driver's side has some cracks. Carpeting is fine. I bought a 2003 in addition and will eventually purchase another Acura if they keep their record up. Just love this car!

Favorite Features

Reliable and powerful. Durable.

Suggested Improvements

Not too crazy about the premium fuel requirement but I understand why it's technically required. The original tires weren't performance / luxury and should be as the latter really affect the car's performance positively in regards to road noise, cornering, ride and braking. Wish paint was thicker.

First and Last Acura I will ever own
By Nels

2000 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Purchased used in 2004 from a relative who bought it new. Found online the tramsmission had problems which had not yet been mailed to the owners. Took it in to Acura service who said the gears weren't discolored so the recall instructed them to increase coolant to the gears. Took it in last year because it was stalling and paid Acura service over $1000 for FUEL INJECTORS! Now at 68K miles, the transmission is almost dead. Acura service says I should have changed the transmission fluid every 15,000 even though they didn't mention this the several times it was brought in and the extended warranty for this known transmission problem expired after 7 years or 100,000 miles. Never again Acura.

Suggested Improvements

Support your poorly designed transmissions with some goodwill and don't penalize customers for your poor engineering just because we drive low miles. Now you've lost the repair service and a customer forever. Bad business Acura.

Do not hesitate!
By John

2000 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

This is the best car i have ever owned. I bought it brand new in 2000 and besides regular maintenance and normal wear and tear things I have had to pay nothing in repairs. Yes, absolutely nothing. I thought it was unheard of to get this performance + reliability for the price until i bought her.I just bought a 2009 TL and LOVE IT! I dreaded the day when I passed this car along to my son. But at least I can feel confident this vehicle will not leave him stranded on the side of the road. This vehicle is far superior to any German made luxury car by far. I have owned a BMW, Lexus, Audi (worst by far), and a Mercedes and the TL tops them all.

Favorite Features

Bose Sound System, quiet v6 engine, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

make this car run without using premium