Used 1999 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

1999 Acura TL

3.2 3.2L V6 4-speed Automatic - (90 reviews )

1999 Acura 3.2TL
By Augusta Richards

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new. This car has been wonderfully reliable. I have never had it in service for a mechanical problem. As a female driver, this is very important to me. I use premium gas as recommended but with todays prices, I am going to try mid- grade again although I tried that once and noticed a negative difference. My mileage in the city is about 20 and on the highway 27-28. I feel very safe in this car and have learned to appreciate the styling although after having an Infiniti J30, I thought this car could use more pizazz in the exterior styling. What can I say - I love this car.

Favorite Features

The fact my car looks like a new car and is going on 8 years old. The sound system and the interior styling and the security I feel while driving it.

Suggested Improvements

More pizazz in body style and built to require regular gas instead of premium and with the same wonderful response when I press the gas pedal.

Great Car!!!
By Sergey

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

This is great car! I bought it at 2 years old with 9000 miles for 23k, sold it at 7 years wit 115k for 6k. I put 106000 miles on it in 5 years. It still drives like new. All interior features are working great. The service during warranty was outstanding. This is great expirience and very low price

Favorite Features

It holds the road in your hands.

Suggested Improvements

There is no need to imprve perfection.

1999 Acura TL
By captain

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Maintenance and repair expence during 7 years and 143000 miles has been very low. A new transmision at 93,000 mi. was replaced by Acura at no cost. They even provided a new TL to drive while mine was in the shop. My total expense for maintenance(incl oil changes), tires, batteries and repairs is less than $1600, including a new starter at 142000 mi. It still runs and handles like new. (I dont follow scheduled maintenance). Never tuned up, but do change oil and filter every 7500 mi. I still have the original plugs. Gets 26- 31 mi/ga; I use only regular. I think it runs better on regular. I've recently towed this car with 4 wheels on ground behind my motorhome over 6000 mi without any problems.

Great car, great value, fun to mod
By Shaun

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I have had my DEG (dark emerald green) TL for 2 and a half years and have had no problem with it at all. 117k and still on original tranny and runs better than new. I have upgrades many engine components to pull some great performance (faster than a Type S) out of this car w/o effecting it's reliability and actually increasing overall gas mileage from 25 to 28 now. Interior is great, make sure you strip the paint off your shiftknob, it is chrome underneath you know (99 TL only). Exterior is very sexy and elegant, I think it stands out when detailed properly. Stock stereo isn't the greatest, I don't like Bose at all. Low maintenance vehicle and easy to work on yourself. Rotors lasted 100k+.

Favorite Features

performance, style, comfort. wonderful on long drive, standard features are unmatched, stock exhaust flows very well, vtec sounds sweet with cold air intake.

Suggested Improvements

manual tranny would ideal, as well as AWD or RWD. These cars would be real "sleepers" with a manual and RWD.

Just Keeps Going
By lsmac

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new. It now has 197,000 miles. 28mpg all the time. Have stuck to the manual for maintenance. Some dash lights don't work and door lock relay needs replacing. Only non-maintenance item was to clean the EGR valve at 80k. I do this myself now. Takes two hours. Engine has never been opened. Ditch the Michelin Tires. Get Toyo Proxes TPT for less than $500 and last 50k.

Favorite Features

No favorites, but seat heaters are nice for those stressful days.

Suggested Improvements

Memory seating