Used 1999 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

1999 Acura TL

3.2 3.2L V6 4-speed Automatic - (90 reviews )

Acura 3.2 TL Excellent Value
By mark b

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

This model was the first year for the redesigned TL - in which Acura enhanced the look and features of the car, while making the price even more attractive. The net result has been a car that is highly reliable, attractive and an excellent value over time. Although this model is a little more plain vanilla than the latest generation TL it is still a pleasure to drive and own.

Favorite Features

Cockpit controls, leather seats, highly functional first generation navigation system, acceleration and handling, trunk space, comfortable seating and sun/moon roof.

Suggested Improvements

Design could be a little sexier, which has been addressed in the latest generation TL.

Great Workhorse with Looks
By Kentrosi

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

This is my 4th Acura. I am trading it in next week for an 03 TL-S. It has 152,000 of some very hard-driven mileage. I have done nothing but change the oil and replaced the timing belt at 100k. This car is extremely dependable and great looking. I drive 35-45k miles a year and do not have time to deal with the annoying prblems that plague so many other makes. I am sticking with Acura.

Favorite Features

Looks, dependability, power

Seven years and counting
By pmi

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 99 and it is easily the best car I've ever had. I've replaced the battery once and the tires once and other than oil changes and tire rotations, that's all I've had to "fix" in seven years. Acceleration from slow or stop is outstanding; merging in heavy traffic is much easier than what I have experienced in other vehicles. It's only a four-speed so it really isn't very fuel-efficient. I consistently get under 20 mpg with mostly city driving.

Favorite Features

Climate control is excellent. Stereo is excellent. Leather seats are holding up very well. I don't know the numbers, but for my purposes, acceleration from slow or stop allowing me to merge quickly and confidently - something I need to do on a regular basis - is outstanding.

Suggested Improvements

The seat belts and seat heat distribution need improvements. The driver's seat belt is way too tight and the buckle digs into your right hip even if you are a small person. The driver's seat is not evenly heated. Fuel efficiency could be a lot better.

Built with quality
By Carputz

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with only 30,500 miles on it and 7 years old. Cost less than a comparable milage Accord. What a value. Rides and handles like a dream, nice power. Never thought I would own a car like this. A luxury car with Honda depenability and serviceability. Check engine light came on after having it a month. Acura took care of it under a warranty memo they had for the problem. Expect to have this one for a long time. 7 year old car makes any newer car I have owned look bad.

Favorite Features

Audio controls on wheel, power seats very comfortable, rides smooth yet handles great. Climate control.

Suggested Improvements

Would have liked a fold down rear seat. Run on regular gas.

In love w/ my TL
By Crane

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Unquestionably the best car I've ever owned (I've had over 25 including company cars). I have over 180,000 miles with only expected maintenance. Still cruises effortlessly at 80 mph, is quiet and solid. Will probably spend more than I should to keep it since I love it so much (leather seats need repair, lots of dings and nicks from high-speed driving).

Favorite Features

Bose stereo is outstanding. Powerful engine with manners. Comfortable seats with everything you need without too many "bells & whistles".

Suggested Improvements

The emissions hardware seems to wear out sooner than anything else. A pain to keep repairing.