1999 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

3.2 3.2L V6 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
It Still Thinks It's a New Car
By Ken J on 06/12/08 09:34 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I LOVE my '99 TL 3.2 sedan. We bought it new for what we though was a huge amount of money but it has turned out to be a bargain. It still has a luxury ride after 118K miles. Other than brakes (once!) and fluid changes it has only needed a new starter. The secret is regular maintenance by an Acura dealer. I spent major $$ for the 105K tune-up which replaced everything that could be, including timing belt and water pump. What I got back was a car that drove like it was brand new after putting on new Michelins. It was a much better choice than buying a new TL and I highly recommend it. No transmission problems. Almost 60K on the first set of tires. Original plugs!!

1999 Acura TL Sedan
By Acura Owner on 03/26/08 12:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Acura used with 92K miles. It now has 142K miles and continues to run strong. No issues other than routine maintenance. Great stereo system and ride quality. Gas mileage is so-so, but it runs fine on regular gas.

Could Have Been Much Better
By John on 03/06/08 17:25 PM (PST)

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from an auction at 102,000 miles. The transmission died at 116,000 miles, and I mean it. The car left me on the highway. Figures most 1999 models had some kind of transmission problem. Besides the trans, I had various issues ranging from cat to the sensors and some other stuff costing me around $6000 including the trans. Overall do not buy it as a second owner. And the seats make annoying sounds and so does the dashboard and the sunroof. It is annoying, really. However I am sure that these problems are fixed on the 2004 tls so when i can afford one i will definitely buy it.

For Keeps
By Harvey on 12/03/07 17:02 PM (PST)

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car ('99 3.2 Acura TL with navigation) really out of luck. I was looking for reliable vehicle as I drive up and down the coast (400 miles) almost every month. My experience with this vehicle has always been a possitive one. It's easy to maintain. Since the time I bought this car, the only maintenance I had to do was the usual oil change, break/tire change and the required 100k timing belt.

Transmission Replaced 3 times!
By Kristina on 10/28/07 12:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

This vehicle was my favorite, wanted to keep it forever! Until I had to replace the transmission 3 times, so I dumped it at a pawn shop! Didn't have the conscience to sell it outright to a buyer, because of the tranny issue. I spoke with an employee of Honda Research and Development, and he told me there was an inherent transmission problem that wouldn't go away. He said to buy a Honda product newer than 2002. Other than that, I owned the car for over 4 years. Sexy car, but born with a lifetime defect that ended up costing me money, because the new transmissions were only covered under warranty for 10k miles. Don't buy it! It will cost you money!!

Still Going
By lsmac on 06/15/07 07:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new. Now has 220,000 miles! No trans or engine issues. Have replaced the power steering pump, otherwise no repairs, only scheduled maintenance. 25-28 mpg all the time.

Quality vehicle
By Acura Fan on 12/01/06 15:04 PM (PST)

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Own two 99 TLs and enjoy them immensely. Powerful engine, great acceleration. One car has NAV and that's fun. The 99 model NAV unit uses a hard drive and you need 7 cards for the US or you can reprogram the hard drive if you have the CD and a laptop. In 2000, Acura went to a DVD format and it's much better. Only gripe are the seats, good leather but very uncomfortable, too hard and not quite wide enough. Only mechanical problem is one car seems to keep warping the rotors and I think I will upgrade the rotors and pads next brake job. Requires premium fuel but get 23 city, 30 highway. Great entry level luxury car for the money

Goodbye oldpaint
By GR8CAR on 11/14/06 15:41 PM (PST)

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in 2004 with 42K, had 83K when some knucklehead ran a red light and I tagged him. Solid car, fun to drive, engineering, trim, I miss it. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Simply awesome 3.2TL
By fabulous TL on 10/10/06 20:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

After purchasing this high mile car we knew it was an overlooked and underated car. Highway travel is phenomenal great mileage about 27-28 mpg. Noise is minimal and very smooth. City driving yields less mpgs however still decent @ 21mpg. Great handling good passing power and engine is silent even when tested. That engine is bulletproof! The tranny shifted great even through 160k miles of usage, wow! Ergonomics top notch along with a plethora of standard equipment, it blows away the rest of the class. No problems with anything all electronics and mechanics still chugging along!

Hard to look beyond Acura/Honda
By Hondas 4 life on 09/20/06 06:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

This Acura is a benchmark for value & rigid construction. Excellent feel & bang for the buck. Offers many standard features that are often expensive options on other entry luxury sedans. Decent mileage & get go for its not too powerful 3.2 4 speed auto trans. Even though only 4 speed still a performer. Ride is compliant & quiet, not Lexus quiet but defintely more fun. Engine is top notch, idles silently after +150k miles! Longevity of electronics, mechanics, etc. are phenomenal! Only problem we had was a clogged EGR port that was easily taken care of @ the dealer. Love it so much we went out & got the beautiful '06 TL. Just watch out for the trans. problems from 2000-2003 thats all.