1999 Acura TL 3.2L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1999 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

3.2 3.2L V6 4-speed Automatic - (90 reviews )

1999 TL Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Great Car
By davidbrown1

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I am the second generation owner of this vehicle bought new by my parents. I was given ownership of this car at 90K miles, now at 150K, and I still love it. I drove this car very hard, across the country, through the country and into a few things. It has proven very durable, even among the the most adverse conditions. Always faithfully maintained, the car has had no major mechanical issues. The handling is not what it once was, but still above average. Excellent braking, impressive acceleration, and comfortable, quiet, confident at high speed. My only complaint is the Premium fuel requirement which drives the fuel cost up substantially.

Favorite Features

Good quality Bose sound system. Heated seats never quit. Despite being rained in many times, all windows and controls still work.

Suggested Improvements

12VDC auxiliary power outlets failed (both).

Love this car but problems are starting to add up
By danielle_1989

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I love this car I got it in 2007; It drives so nice and love all the features that this older car has to offer. Problems are starting to add up the driver seat is ripping and it is leaking oil and in order to figure out why they would have to tare the engine apart. Also major problem the catalytic converter is going and was told that cost a lot to fix, also the lights are really stupid to change cost me $400 to change the bulbs and they had to tare my engine apart just for that. Gas miles are okay not too bad. I really do love this car and if nothing was wrong with it I would run it till it died. One more thing Not good in the snow at all!!

Amost Perfect
By okiegem

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I checked with Consumer Reports before I began searching for a reliable car that my elderly parents could enter/exit easily. This fit the bill above Toyota and Nissan models. We found it VERY comfortable. I really L-O-V-E its appearance and performance! It now has 90K on it and runs beautifully. When I purchased it at 50K, its brakes were pulsing and the dealership included a full brake job before I closed. Its A/C control was replaced a year later when it went out. Otherwise it's been a great car and I'd buy again. In fact, I'm thinking about replacing it with a later year of the same model and design, because I don't like the design of the newer TLs.

Favorite Features

Sporty exterior lines, "zoom-zoom" capability, comfort, visibility, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

This car would be perfect with these changes: interior design includes a safe space for a purse; shift console redesign improves shifting ease; back seat redesign allows it to fold down; many more miles per gallon of gas consumed.

GREAT
By Kyle

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I have had no problems with the car. Except I have worn a hole where my leg rests.

Favorite Features

BOSE

Suggested Improvements

Horsepower

Just Getting Broken In
By Texasrooster

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '99 Acura TL in 2005. At the time, had 42k miles, now closing in on 100k. As with a '91 Accord I previously owned, the overall reliability and build quality of this car have been impeccable. Comfort and luxury with just enough of a sporting flavor thrown in. Comfortable for long trips, yet definitely not a marshmallowy Toyota- or Lexus-like ride. Steering feel is excellent. Sight lines are likewise excellent, something that is missing in most newer cars. These have got to be the most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in--nice soft pleated leather, not like the hard-as-a-rock leather seats in most newer luxury cars.

Favorite Features

Comfortable heated leather seats, great sight lines in all directions, sportier than most contemporary luxury cars.

Suggested Improvements

Not a big fan of the exterior styling.

EGR
By Lynnerksu

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 2005 with 32,000 miles on it. I love the car but now it has about 72,000 miles and has been in the shop for the EGR. Other than that it's been a perfect inexpensive car.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, seat heaters, and dimming mirror.

Suggested Improvements

Better leather on the middle console.

Recall the Transmission
By Angela

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I feel the transmission should have been recalled. The manufacturer is more than aware that the transmission in this car was poorly made, and I am quite upset that I am having to replace it. I have always driven a Honda or Acura and this is the first time I've had major problems. I am told that the issue has been resolved mechanically, but that does little to help my out of pocket fee.

Favorite Features

Moon Roof, Navigation

Suggested Improvements

The Transmission

Good while it lasted, now moving on...
By Jamnurse

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with about 24k miles, currently 164k. Was gonna try to push it til 200k, but, Engine light staying on for a year now. Car has shut off on me twice while at the stop light (have a new battery). Ignition switch was changed out under the recall. EGR changed a few times. Engine going. I put quite a bit of $$ into it already. No sense putting any more. I got my thrill for 9 years. I had visor, wood grain and wing put on. I loved my car. Will always have a place in my heart... I think I'm done with acura though. Don't like the shape of new TL. I like the RL, but, I think I'm getting GS300.

Favorite Features

Body Style, Smooth Ride (for the 1st 6 yrs), Bose Stereo

Suggested Improvements

Engine-Transmission, EGR valve, Ignition

Engine stop while I'm driving
By khiet

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I bought my car almost 5 years ago and never had any problem until now. My car currently had only 65,350 miles on it. The problem with my car is while I am driving on the road it shuts down the engine (on the busy road). The battery is almost brand new. I think ignition switch is bad. Hopefully, they recall ignition switch so I don't have to pay money out of my pocket.

Favorite Features

interior for the year 1999

Suggested Improvements

ignition switch and better gas

Amazing Car
By Lucky13

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Great car, I bought it from a friend for 2500 dollars dirt cheap with all the gizmos i took out the GPS because i never really used it and added a pioneer stereo system.Nice smooth ride very fast. the stereo system rocked when i got it i have made a g=few changes now like a 12" Mtx sub and its even better. Love driving the car. I buying a Wings West body about $800 total but makes the car have a little more presence on the street. If you are looking for a tuner car this car is great the V-Tec engine is great engine to start with.

Favorite Features

Love the Stereo,Moon Roof/Sun Roof, i also enjoy the sport shifter its nice for when your in a daring mood. But you have to love the v-tecs kick at about 4000 rpms.

Suggested Improvements

Would have been an even better car if it had came in a manual transmission