Used 1999 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

3.2 3.2L V6 4-speed Automatic - (90 reviews )

Great Car
By davidbrown1

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I am the second generation owner of this vehicle bought new by my parents. I was given ownership of this car at 90K miles, now at 150K, and I still love it. I drove this car very hard, across the country, through the country and into a few things. It has proven very durable, even among the the most adverse conditions. Always faithfully maintained, the car has had no major mechanical issues. The handling is not what it once was, but still above average. Excellent braking, impressive acceleration, and comfortable, quiet, confident at high speed. My only complaint is the Premium fuel requirement which drives the fuel cost up substantially.

Favorite Features

Good quality Bose sound system. Heated seats never quit. Despite being rained in many times, all windows and controls still work.

Suggested Improvements

12VDC auxiliary power outlets failed (both).

Love this car but problems are starting to add up
By danielle_1989

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I love this car I got it in 2007; It drives so nice and love all the features that this older car has to offer. Problems are starting to add up the driver seat is ripping and it is leaking oil and in order to figure out why they would have to tare the engine apart. Also major problem the catalytic converter is going and was told that cost a lot to fix, also the lights are really stupid to change cost me $400 to change the bulbs and they had to tare my engine apart just for that. Gas miles are okay not too bad. I really do love this car and if nothing was wrong with it I would run it till it died. One more thing Not good in the snow at all!!

Amost Perfect
By okiegem

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I checked with Consumer Reports before I began searching for a reliable car that my elderly parents could enter/exit easily. This fit the bill above Toyota and Nissan models. We found it VERY comfortable. I really L-O-V-E its appearance and performance! It now has 90K on it and runs beautifully. When I purchased it at 50K, its brakes were pulsing and the dealership included a full brake job before I closed. Its A/C control was replaced a year later when it went out. Otherwise it's been a great car and I'd buy again. In fact, I'm thinking about replacing it with a later year of the same model and design, because I don't like the design of the newer TLs.

Favorite Features

Sporty exterior lines, "zoom-zoom" capability, comfort, visibility, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

This car would be perfect with these changes: interior design includes a safe space for a purse; shift console redesign improves shifting ease; back seat redesign allows it to fold down; many more miles per gallon of gas consumed.

GREAT
By Kyle

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I have had no problems with the car. Except I have worn a hole where my leg rests.

Favorite Features

BOSE

Suggested Improvements

Horsepower

Just Getting Broken In
By Texasrooster

1999 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '99 Acura TL in 2005. At the time, had 42k miles, now closing in on 100k. As with a '91 Accord I previously owned, the overall reliability and build quality of this car have been impeccable. Comfort and luxury with just enough of a sporting flavor thrown in. Comfortable for long trips, yet definitely not a marshmallowy Toyota- or Lexus-like ride. Steering feel is excellent. Sight lines are likewise excellent, something that is missing in most newer cars. These have got to be the most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in--nice soft pleated leather, not like the hard-as-a-rock leather seats in most newer luxury cars.

Favorite Features

Comfortable heated leather seats, great sight lines in all directions, sportier than most contemporary luxury cars.

Suggested Improvements

Not a big fan of the exterior styling.