1998 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Love the '98 3.2TL
By Don from Florida on 11/23/06 13:23 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Purchased the 3.2 in November of 2001. I've been very happy with the ride and reliability. It has 88,000 miles and all I've done is change the oil, belts, and tires. (The lone exception was new front brakes & rotors at 87,000 miles) It rides like a cadillac but without the reliability issues. The interior is 1st class as well as the comfort of the seats. It's not a fast sports sedan, but the 3.2 V-6 200 HP engine has plenty of speed for us. Exterior is black and the paint has yet to fade. (There are the normal nicks from opening doors and such.) Like the sleek exterior with the long front hood. I feel comfortable enough to sell this car to my daughter next month. Will purchase another Acura.

I love my Acura!!!
By Dana Lucas on 01/15/06 08:17 AM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

By far, the best car purchase I have ever made! I have had this car since late 1997, and have only had to pay for basic maintenance until Dec 2005. In Dec, the heat system failed and I had to fix - only cost $800! Also, car rides like a dream - very smooth. I always get compliments on the look and feel of the car. I plan to buy another Acura when I'm done with this one!

Honda makes great cars
By Matt on 01/12/06 23:17 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

I like this car alot. Unfortunatly I bought one that had been recked. Despite this problem which I didnt discover untill later the car has been great. It is fun to drive with more than average power. My problems have been consistant with the other reviews. The seal on the driver side window is bad which makes for alot of road noise. The placement of the controls in the interior are the worst of any car. Although stylish all of the luxury features are invisable because of the placement. The last thing would be that repairs are VERY expensive. I spend alot of money at the dealership, who are the only people who know how to work on that car, even oil changes. Trust me.

Just got my car
By Deb on 12/29/05 20:30 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

We reviewed this year for the TL and so far I'm delighted. It's beautiful and rides like a dream, although it does have some road noise, but the stereo is awesome. I'm confident it will be an excellent car for us. We looked at the 1999-2003 TL's and the transmission problems scared us off. We have a 2002 RL, and although the TL is not as luxurious as that, it is just as fun to drive and it has all the same toys, just a little smaller, and I LOVE this car! The metallic blue paint is just beautiful also, and this car is in perfect shape.

Very dependable
By Reggie on 11/23/05 14:04 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

I purchases the car off lease after 2 years. Because I had a warranty I took advantage and ordered new seat. Seat did not match, removed and replaced with seat from trade-in (my greed, great service). Keep service maintenance not expensive. Replaced timing belt after 100,000; fuel sensor cleaned at over 120,000; Battery replaced after 7 years.

Luxury & stylish
By Joshua Carroll on 11/22/05 23:52 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Bought this car a couple years ago with almost 100,000 miles on it. Now it has almost 150,000 miles on it but still rides like a brand new Lexus. I love it, but it has had its problems like any other car. Right now I'm having a problem with my transmission, but that'll be fixed soon. Runs really quiet and smooth when kept clean and maintained all the time. I do hate the position of the cruise control, fog lights, and seat heater buttons but every car has it's minor annoyances. The road noise is a bit louder than what I prefer, but the smooth ride makes up for it. I do hate the fact that the backseat isn't big enough for tall people, but I guess the style of the car makes up for that.

An amazing purchase
By tommsu on 11/16/05 13:59 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

I am used to buying lemons but this is the first car I can truly say that I am pleased with, I have logged almost 35000 miles in the past year alone, including a trip to Key West. Car is in amazing shape and no problems to date, just normal upkeep has been needed.

Dependable Vehicle
By Olga on 08/15/05 23:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since 1998 and have never had a problem. I just changed the battery for the first time. I also agree, the cruise control button is not in a convenient location. Other than that my car has been great to me.

OK but nothing special
By djm on 03/11/05 18:30 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Not that much power, Handles well, rides smooth and quitely but not very big inside. The windows have not top seal which adds some noise. Mileage not even close to rated numbers. A lot of problems for a so called premium car. Replaced starter and exahust plus a broken power seat at 68K. I should have bought a new Accord. OK at best, I am not overwhelmed. When I pay for a premium product that is what I expect, this is a partial premium, nicer than the Accord but not a great car.

3.2TL is a sure thing
By wpit on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

wonderful car, fast, affordable, and stylish.