Used 1998 Acura TL 2.5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

1998 Acura TL Sedan

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Most Helpful|
Okay for me.
By Christy

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I bought my Acura used five years ago. In that time I have replace the timing belt, had the engine overhauled and the transmission overhauled (costing several thousand dollars), replaced the pulley system for the alternator and the windows are having trouble rolling down or up and the paint is flaking off. I do realize that it's an older car now, but the repairs are really starting to be too much. Otherwise, the car runs great when it's running and sounds great. Pretty good horse power though gas mileage is only about 21 mpg. Not great, but it's okay.

Favorite Features

Great turn radius, good power off the line.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the windows! Tons of road noise and now the motors inside are breaking so they don't roll up!

Loved It Until 130K
By caitkmc

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Bought my Acura in college at 66K miles, no major problems or complaints for the first 4 years! I drove it hard too. But as soon as I hit that 130K mark EVERYTHING started to go. My car quickly went from being valued above 5K to now I'm hoping to get 1K for trade in. The breaks, the radiator, the intake system (?), and the timing belt all went within 1 year of each other. VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX!! The three different mechanics all told me the same thing - it can cost 2 times the amount to fix these high performance cars as even just a basic Honda. I wouldnt advise anyone to buy one of these cars with high miles, especially if maintenance costs are a big concern. But always drove beautifully!

Favorite Features

The interior!! The smooth quiet drive, the dependability until high miles, very comfortable!

Suggested Improvements

Maintenance costs!!

LOVE MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Erin

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 10 months and am so happy that i made the choice to buy it. The body is in great condition with no rust and is a very rugged car to drive. When i test drove it i was very impressed with how it hugged the road. When its time to get a newer car im sticking to the Acura TL.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable and reliable

Suggested Improvements

better gas milage

Great but not without flaws
By kwle04

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Handling is precise and predictable, a sure mark of quality craftsmanship. Not like BMW, but has tight riding - you can feel the contour of road surface in a well tamed manner. Surprizingly reliable driving and traction in various inclement weather conditions - A+. If you make sure that air filter, spark plugs, and engine oil are clean, then you will be surprised with its mileage. Mine has 115,000 miles on it, and drives about 27 miles per gallon faithfully on highway with some inner city driving combined. Today it recorded 27.4miles/gallon on my trip to Richmond. Not too bad at all for such a heavy machine! Definitely a nice bang for the bucks.

Favorite Features

Nice indoor trim. Very gentle & handsome hind look. Refer to my review for other likable characters.

Suggested Improvements

D4 lamp never survives more than 100,000 miles. Exhaust-manifold cracked. $1000 to fix (not covered by factory recall wty for 1998 model). If it had more kick on acceleration. Seats may be tiring for long distance.

Very nice car, high reliability
By TLW

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I bought my '98 2.5 TL about 5 years ago, I also paid $1200 for the extended warranty to 100K miles. I never got to use the warranty. At 107K miles now, D4 light is out, and I have replaced both oxygen sensors as well as doing the scheduled 104K miles timing belt / water pump service. I also replaced the battery a couple years ago, and new brake pads. I'm due for replacing the AT fluid and filter. All in all, this car has been excellent. My car with 107K miles drives and feels like a new car - nothing loose or sloppy, and the throttle response is very smooth.

Favorite Features

Great reliability, very comfortable and it drives wonderfully. Use the cruise control on the interstate, the car rides like 65 mph when you're actually cruising easily at 110 mph.

Suggested Improvements

Poor fuel economy combined with the need for premium fuel are downers.