1998 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
The best car money can buy
By Jeff on 08/23/10 20:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

We bought a '97 with about 68k on it i '95. It seemed very expensive at the time. Other than 2 starters (a persistent problem with these cars (requiring the axle to be removed - $-) along with the terrible window operations), and the recommended timing belt change with water pump, I have performed all maintenance which consists only of fluids, filters and brakes (do my own work). This car now has 260k on it, drives as if it were new, with no smoke or leaks from the engine. It does need a power-steering pump but the kids drive it now and they need the exercise. I now have a collection of 3 of the 3.2TL's ranging from 96 to 98 and have my eye on another. If taken care of, they always run.

Still in love
By Vanessa on 05/26/10 05:10 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Got my car on 2/14/98 and still love it after all these years. Having problem with speed sensor now but the car is still solid otherwise. Other than maintenance and replacing the struts, this car has been low cost over the years. I love pulling up next to other owners of the older TLs because we always roll down windows and praise our cars. I've never met anyone who didn't love theirs. I know I'll need a new vehicle one day but for now will continue to enjoy the ride.

Amazing long term car!
By sfgiants22 on 04/26/09 16:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

This was the second car that Ive ever bought and it is awesome. I bought it at 110,000(I know), but following some dealer tricks I was sold on it. I felt a bit taken later because of the miles it had but it still drive like new and its at 165000 now. I couldn't ask for a more reliable vehicle and the only thing that Ive had to do is replace the battery and headlight bulbs...unbelievably reliable. Acura is simply an all around good company and I'm glad I bought my TL.

I love this car!
By Acura32tl on 10/07/08 07:26 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

I have been the proud owner of my 3.2 TL for nearly 10 years now and it's been amazing. Wonderful, well rounded vehicle that's attractive and engineered like a dream. My TL has 162000 miles and has seen less than $2000 in non maintenance repairs to date! That's pretty remarkable in my opinion. The service has been solid, but I must admit that I perform most maintenance personally (mobil 1 only). As much as I love this car, I will probably go to Lexus next as Acura styling has degraded over the years.

Love My Acura
By Degruise on 01/03/07 22:13 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

This is my favorite car. Even when I see a car exactly like mine go by, I still stare at it because I feel like it is one of the most attractive styles ever made. It drives great, and I have only brought it in for regular maintenance such as oil, brakes and tires. It is the best running vehicle I have ever driven!

Love the '98 3.2TL
By Don from Florida on 11/23/06 13:23 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Purchased the 3.2 in November of 2001. I've been very happy with the ride and reliability. It has 88,000 miles and all I've done is change the oil, belts, and tires. (The lone exception was new front brakes & rotors at 87,000 miles) It rides like a cadillac but without the reliability issues. The interior is 1st class as well as the comfort of the seats. It's not a fast sports sedan, but the 3.2 V-6 200 HP engine has plenty of speed for us. Exterior is black and the paint has yet to fade. (There are the normal nicks from opening doors and such.) Like the sleek exterior with the long front hood. I feel comfortable enough to sell this car to my daughter next month. Will purchase another Acura.

I love my Acura!!!
By Dana Lucas on 01/15/06 08:17 AM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

By far, the best car purchase I have ever made! I have had this car since late 1997, and have only had to pay for basic maintenance until Dec 2005. In Dec, the heat system failed and I had to fix - only cost $800! Also, car rides like a dream - very smooth. I always get compliments on the look and feel of the car. I plan to buy another Acura when I'm done with this one!

Honda makes great cars
By Matt on 01/12/06 23:17 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

I like this car alot. Unfortunatly I bought one that had been recked. Despite this problem which I didnt discover untill later the car has been great. It is fun to drive with more than average power. My problems have been consistant with the other reviews. The seal on the driver side window is bad which makes for alot of road noise. The placement of the controls in the interior are the worst of any car. Although stylish all of the luxury features are invisable because of the placement. The last thing would be that repairs are VERY expensive. I spend alot of money at the dealership, who are the only people who know how to work on that car, even oil changes. Trust me.

Just got my car
By Deb on 12/29/05 20:30 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

We reviewed this year for the TL and so far I'm delighted. It's beautiful and rides like a dream, although it does have some road noise, but the stereo is awesome. I'm confident it will be an excellent car for us. We looked at the 1999-2003 TL's and the transmission problems scared us off. We have a 2002 RL, and although the TL is not as luxurious as that, it is just as fun to drive and it has all the same toys, just a little smaller, and I LOVE this car! The metallic blue paint is just beautiful also, and this car is in perfect shape.

Very dependable
By Reggie on 11/23/05 14:04 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

I purchases the car off lease after 2 years. Because I had a warranty I took advantage and ordered new seat. Seat did not match, removed and replaced with seat from trade-in (my greed, great service). Keep service maintenance not expensive. Replaced timing belt after 100,000; fuel sensor cleaned at over 120,000; Battery replaced after 7 years.