1998 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Excellent Car
By lizaven17 on 10/25/14 15:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I got this car back in 2010 as a starter. Since then it's needed an upstream O2 sensor and a wiper motor. I have fallen in love with this car and worked a great deal on it. My TL has done two coast-to-coast cross country trips with stellar performance. The car is kinda rare in the US so parts can get expensive if you break the wrong thing. But overall this car is great. A word of caution to fellow tuners out there: the design of this car is kinda nonsensical. Things like wiring a subwoofer are extremely difficult. But as a basic car, the 5cyl is really reliable and the interior is spacious and comfy. A pure-blooded GT car if you ask me.

Loved It Until 130K
By caitkmc on 07/31/11 21:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Bought my Acura in college at 66K miles, no major problems or complaints for the first 4 years! I drove it hard too. But as soon as I hit that 130K mark EVERYTHING started to go. My car quickly went from being valued above 5K to now I'm hoping to get 1K for trade in. The breaks, the radiator, the intake system (?), and the timing belt all went within 1 year of each other. VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX!! The three different mechanics all told me the same thing - it can cost 2 times the amount to fix these high performance cars as even just a basic Honda. I wouldnt advise anyone to buy one of these cars with high miles, especially if maintenance costs are a big concern. But always drove beautifully!

LOVE MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Erin on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 10 months and am so happy that i made the choice to buy it. The body is in great condition with no rust and is a very rugged car to drive. When i test drove it i was very impressed with how it hugged the road. When its time to get a newer car im sticking to the Acura TL.

Okay for me.
By Christy on 07/26/10 15:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I bought my Acura used five years ago. In that time I have replace the timing belt, had the engine overhauled and the transmission overhauled (costing several thousand dollars), replaced the pulley system for the alternator and the windows are having trouble rolling down or up and the paint is flaking off. I do realize that it's an older car now, but the repairs are really starting to be too much. Otherwise, the car runs great when it's running and sounds great. Pretty good horse power though gas mileage is only about 21 mpg. Not great, but it's okay.

Very nice car, high reliability
By TLW on 06/25/07 07:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I bought my '98 2.5 TL about 5 years ago, I also paid $1200 for the extended warranty to 100K miles. I never got to use the warranty. At 107K miles now, D4 light is out, and I have replaced both oxygen sensors as well as doing the scheduled 104K miles timing belt / water pump service. I also replaced the battery a couple years ago, and new brake pads. I'm due for replacing the AT fluid and filter. All in all, this car has been excellent. My car with 107K miles drives and feels like a new car - nothing loose or sloppy, and the throttle response is very smooth.

Great but not without flaws
By kwle04 on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Handling is precise and predictable, a sure mark of quality craftsmanship. Not like BMW, but has tight riding - you can feel the contour of road surface in a well tamed manner. Surprizingly reliable driving and traction in various inclement weather conditions - A+. If you make sure that air filter, spark plugs, and engine oil are clean, then you will be surprised with its mileage. Mine has 115,000 miles on it, and drives about 27 miles per gallon faithfully on highway with some inner city driving combined. Today it recorded 27.4miles/gallon on my trip to Richmond. Not too bad at all for such a heavy machine! Definitely a nice bang for the bucks.

Great Car
By jrratl on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. I bought it pre- owned from an Acura dealership and love it. The ride is great, it is very reliable, the sound system is very good, the outside design is beautiful and the inside is ergonomically well designed.

Great Vehicle
By craigch8 on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2.5 TL used with 50K miles on it. I now have over 100Kmiles on it and it still drives like new. I originally bought it with a warranty, never needed it. Extremely reliable, just as quick as the 3.2TL, better gas mileage. I would suggest this model to anyone. You'll love it.

I wish it was more reliable
By myself on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used, at 70K. The car is perfect, but not as reliable as Honda. I expected it to be as reliable as Honda, but apparently all those nice features introduce failure factors. Things that are supposed to last a long time broke down: a radiator fan started making funny noise, had to replace it ($250), the exhaust manifold got cracked ($1100). Other than that, the car is great, handles well, excellent brakes and transmission.

TLBOY
By Pearl on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Very reliable;good performance. Very smooth ride and precision steering and handling.