Used 1998 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Excellent Car
By lizaven17

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I got this car back in 2010 as a starter. Since then it's needed an upstream O2 sensor and a wiper motor. I have fallen in love with this car and worked a great deal on it. My TL has done two coast-to-coast cross country trips with stellar performance. The car is kinda rare in the US so parts can get expensive if you break the wrong thing. But overall this car is great. A word of caution to fellow tuners out there: the design of this car is kinda nonsensical. Things like wiring a subwoofer are extremely difficult. But as a basic car, the 5cyl is really reliable and the interior is spacious and comfy. A pure-blooded GT car if you ask me.

Favorite Features

Leather interior, Rare G25A motor, Sturdy frame, responsive steering

Suggested Improvements

More flexible audio system, more parts on the market

Loved It Until 130K
By caitkmc

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Bought my Acura in college at 66K miles, no major problems or complaints for the first 4 years! I drove it hard too. But as soon as I hit that 130K mark EVERYTHING started to go. My car quickly went from being valued above 5K to now I'm hoping to get 1K for trade in. The breaks, the radiator, the intake system (?), and the timing belt all went within 1 year of each other. VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX!! The three different mechanics all told me the same thing - it can cost 2 times the amount to fix these high performance cars as even just a basic Honda. I wouldnt advise anyone to buy one of these cars with high miles, especially if maintenance costs are a big concern. But always drove beautifully!

Favorite Features

The interior!! The smooth quiet drive, the dependability until high miles, very comfortable!

Suggested Improvements

Maintenance costs!!

LOVE MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Erin

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 10 months and am so happy that i made the choice to buy it. The body is in great condition with no rust and is a very rugged car to drive. When i test drove it i was very impressed with how it hugged the road. When its time to get a newer car im sticking to the Acura TL.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable and reliable

Suggested Improvements

better gas milage

The best car money can buy
By Jeff

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

We bought a '97 with about 68k on it i '95. It seemed very expensive at the time. Other than 2 starters (a persistent problem with these cars (requiring the axle to be removed - $-) along with the terrible window operations), and the recommended timing belt change with water pump, I have performed all maintenance which consists only of fluids, filters and brakes (do my own work). This car now has 260k on it, drives as if it were new, with no smoke or leaks from the engine. It does need a power-steering pump but the kids drive it now and they need the exercise. I now have a collection of 3 of the 3.2TL's ranging from 96 to 98 and have my eye on another. If taken care of, they always run.

Suggested Improvements

window motors!

Okay for me.
By Christy

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I bought my Acura used five years ago. In that time I have replace the timing belt, had the engine overhauled and the transmission overhauled (costing several thousand dollars), replaced the pulley system for the alternator and the windows are having trouble rolling down or up and the paint is flaking off. I do realize that it's an older car now, but the repairs are really starting to be too much. Otherwise, the car runs great when it's running and sounds great. Pretty good horse power though gas mileage is only about 21 mpg. Not great, but it's okay.

Favorite Features

Great turn radius, good power off the line.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the windows! Tons of road noise and now the motors inside are breaking so they don't roll up!