1998 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Loved It Until 130K
By caitkmc on 07/31/11 21:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Bought my Acura in college at 66K miles, no major problems or complaints for the first 4 years! I drove it hard too. But as soon as I hit that 130K mark EVERYTHING started to go. My car quickly went from being valued above 5K to now I'm hoping to get 1K for trade in. The breaks, the radiator, the intake system (?), and the timing belt all went within 1 year of each other. VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX!! The three different mechanics all told me the same thing - it can cost 2 times the amount to fix these high performance cars as even just a basic Honda. I wouldnt advise anyone to buy one of these cars with high miles, especially if maintenance costs are a big concern. But always drove beautifully!

LOVE MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Erin on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 10 months and am so happy that i made the choice to buy it. The body is in great condition with no rust and is a very rugged car to drive. When i test drove it i was very impressed with how it hugged the road. When its time to get a newer car im sticking to the Acura TL.

The best car money can buy
By Jeff on 08/23/10 20:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

We bought a '97 with about 68k on it i '95. It seemed very expensive at the time. Other than 2 starters (a persistent problem with these cars (requiring the axle to be removed - $-) along with the terrible window operations), and the recommended timing belt change with water pump, I have performed all maintenance which consists only of fluids, filters and brakes (do my own work). This car now has 260k on it, drives as if it were new, with no smoke or leaks from the engine. It does need a power-steering pump but the kids drive it now and they need the exercise. I now have a collection of 3 of the 3.2TL's ranging from 96 to 98 and have my eye on another. If taken care of, they always run.

Okay for me.
By Christy on 07/26/10 15:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I bought my Acura used five years ago. In that time I have replace the timing belt, had the engine overhauled and the transmission overhauled (costing several thousand dollars), replaced the pulley system for the alternator and the windows are having trouble rolling down or up and the paint is flaking off. I do realize that it's an older car now, but the repairs are really starting to be too much. Otherwise, the car runs great when it's running and sounds great. Pretty good horse power though gas mileage is only about 21 mpg. Not great, but it's okay.

Still in love
By Vanessa on 05/26/10 05:10 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Got my car on 2/14/98 and still love it after all these years. Having problem with speed sensor now but the car is still solid otherwise. Other than maintenance and replacing the struts, this car has been low cost over the years. I love pulling up next to other owners of the older TLs because we always roll down windows and praise our cars. I've never met anyone who didn't love theirs. I know I'll need a new vehicle one day but for now will continue to enjoy the ride.

Amazing long term car!
By sfgiants22 on 04/26/09 16:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

This was the second car that Ive ever bought and it is awesome. I bought it at 110,000(I know), but following some dealer tricks I was sold on it. I felt a bit taken later because of the miles it had but it still drive like new and its at 165000 now. I couldn't ask for a more reliable vehicle and the only thing that Ive had to do is replace the battery and headlight bulbs...unbelievably reliable. Acura is simply an all around good company and I'm glad I bought my TL.

I love this car!
By Acura32tl on 10/07/08 07:26 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

I have been the proud owner of my 3.2 TL for nearly 10 years now and it's been amazing. Wonderful, well rounded vehicle that's attractive and engineered like a dream. My TL has 162000 miles and has seen less than $2000 in non maintenance repairs to date! That's pretty remarkable in my opinion. The service has been solid, but I must admit that I perform most maintenance personally (mobil 1 only). As much as I love this car, I will probably go to Lexus next as Acura styling has degraded over the years.

Very nice car, high reliability
By TLW on 06/25/07 07:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I bought my '98 2.5 TL about 5 years ago, I also paid $1200 for the extended warranty to 100K miles. I never got to use the warranty. At 107K miles now, D4 light is out, and I have replaced both oxygen sensors as well as doing the scheduled 104K miles timing belt / water pump service. I also replaced the battery a couple years ago, and new brake pads. I'm due for replacing the AT fluid and filter. All in all, this car has been excellent. My car with 107K miles drives and feels like a new car - nothing loose or sloppy, and the throttle response is very smooth.

Love My Acura
By Degruise on 01/03/07 22:13 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

This is my favorite car. Even when I see a car exactly like mine go by, I still stare at it because I feel like it is one of the most attractive styles ever made. It drives great, and I have only brought it in for regular maintenance such as oil, brakes and tires. It is the best running vehicle I have ever driven!

Love the '98 3.2TL
By Don from Florida on 11/23/06 13:23 PM (PST)

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Purchased the 3.2 in November of 2001. I've been very happy with the ride and reliability. It has 88,000 miles and all I've done is change the oil, belts, and tires. (The lone exception was new front brakes & rotors at 87,000 miles) It rides like a cadillac but without the reliability issues. The interior is 1st class as well as the comfort of the seats. It's not a fast sports sedan, but the 3.2 V-6 200 HP engine has plenty of speed for us. Exterior is black and the paint has yet to fade. (There are the normal nicks from opening doors and such.) Like the sleek exterior with the long front hood. I feel comfortable enough to sell this car to my daughter next month. Will purchase another Acura.