1997 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
reliable but not exciting
By It's just me on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This car is, in essence, a glorified Honda. Reliable and predictable, but lacks the soul and spirit of a european car. This car does everything it is supposed to do- but without passion. Good Points: reliability, quality of fit and finish, quiet ride (other than wind noise), good stereo, Excellent Acura Dealership, low overall cost of ownership. Bad points: wind noise, poor layout of dash (fog light, cruise control and fan switch) low unsupportive seats, miniscule trunk space, bland styling, cheap feeling leather, rough idle (typical for 5 cylinder), no tilt on sunroof and tendency to fog up on rainy days.

Holds Value Well
By ebharrison on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Reliable, and fun to drive. Good resale value makes me feel good about this choice. Some passengers complain about how low the seats are to the ground and those with long legs dislike the rear seat.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned!!
By Buckeye64 on 12/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Car handles excellent. Power is what you'd expect from Acura - great. We've had our TL for 3 years and put 70k miles on it. No mechanical or appearance problems. Will definitely buy another Acura.

7 Years old and Still Sharp
By parker002 on 11/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Ac. for a year or so, and it has 82,000 miles on it. Besides the normal tune-up and some oil changes the car runs perfect. When I drive through town people still look at it. Even though the style has changed over the past few years; it still looks sharp. It also drives like a gem

Best car I've ever owned!!!
By RyanMorrow on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Going on 21 months now, and have had no problems with the car yet. It had 69,000 mi (@ 3yrs) and in the last 7 months I've piled on more than 15,000 mi. The brakes squeel once in a while because the disc brakes are exposed, you have to learn not to pump the gas because it floods a little and takes a couple seconds to regain power (ie, at a stop sign/light), and there is quite a bit of road noise. I keep the great stereo system cranked, so I don't notice the noise at all though. Given the amount of mileage I accrue, I'm hoping this car will hold up another 100,000 miles. When I do have to get another car, I look forward to buying another Acura!

Wished I kept my Honda
By ktwill904@yahoo.com on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Worst car I've ever had. Everyone else has the exact same problems with their cars. A technicians told me that the 2.5 TL's were the worst cars Acura makes. I will NEVER buy another Acura. Hard to believe that these people make Honda's. Ask a TL owner about problems they've had with their cars. You'll get a list. Here are things to worry about: parking brakes, regular brakes wind noise, radiators, if your car goes dead and you don't have the code to your radio you are screwed,inside brake lights, power lock shortage, the center piece in your rims will fall out,numerous recalls

great care
By Frank tha shocker on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Just got a used one, so far so good, really pleased with everything...wish they made this model with the vtech engine, kind of surprised they didnt!

Great Reliable Car
By TRayner on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Have enjoyed the car since purchase. Very sharp simple design and cleans up very well. The placement of the fog light switch and criuise control button is hidden behind the headlight stalk. Very bad position. Love the leather interior and the factory sound system is excellent. Factory Michellins are adequate but a bit loud. Trunk is a bit small with a small opening, so loading luggage has to be planned. No problem ups to 100,000 miles and counting. Do keep the transmission fluid changed since the Acura don't have changeable filters.

Love this car!
By Adam G on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This vehicle deserves a much better rating than given. This car is reliable and a beautiful automobile. It holds its value well and it looks like a brand new car.

2.5 tl
By cms1027 on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

car rides great. never had problems.