1997 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
This is my secon Acura 2.5 T L
By ave8tor on 06/24/12 18:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I have now owned two Acura 2.5 T L's. What an excellent automobile. The first one I sold after putting on almost 300,000Kms with just regular maintance. The only major problem is the manifold cracked and was not repairable, a $2,000 fix. Other than that I loved the car. The paint was excellent, and the interior stood up well, with just a few cracks in the leather interior. I purchased my second 2.5 t l in Geroria with only 40,000 miles on the spedo. Drove it Canada and had it totalled in a rear end collision with a pick up truck this week. I would recommend this car for its comfort, economy, and reliability and driving performance. A true five (5) star automobile.

1997 Acura TL
By todd on 04/22/09 09:44 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This is the best vehicle I have owned yet. It currently has 285,000 kms and going strong. I just replaced my cv axle. It drives smooth, quiet and peppy as ever. I do find my fan (blower) isn't working as well as it used to but if that's my only problem... then I really don't have any. Still keeps up with the best of them.

Acura = 10 years without repair work
By ealfarotx on 11/29/07 16:09 PM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for 10 years and other than regular oil changes and regular maintenance I have only spent $250 for on-board computer connector that was replaced. It's time to do the timing-belt change now, but that's expected with close to 100k miles.

Luxurious Ride
By Jenny on 05/28/05 01:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Acura 2.5 TL in 2004. The paint has held up wonderfully with a great topcoat. The sleek design is very desirable to most. No cracks or problems with the leather interior. Very little maintenance problems. A very luxurious ride. I am very pleased.

I love this car!
By bw on 02/25/05 20:37 PM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I have owned 3 Acuras and this is by far my favorite. I bought this new in 1997, have put over 200,000 miles on it and have only done basic scheduled maintenance on the car. Reliability and quality are exceptional. The look is timeless and my mechanic says I could put another 150,000 miles on the car without a worry. Rides like a dream. Buy this car and you'll never buy another brand again.

My 1997 Acura 2.5 TL
By Muchacho on 06/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Well, to begin, I've had this car for a little over a week, so I cann't really say the long-term status of my car, but for now I'm enjoying it. This is my first car, and it's compitant overall. The interior and exterior design is all fine and dandy, but lacks soul and excitement. The CD system is amazing, and the 5-cylinder really revs fast, but since the car is fairly large the 176 hp don't move the TL very fast. Everybody only has good comments on the car, and for the most part I agree, although alil spice overall wouldn't hurt.

Yawner...
By mtalinm on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Picked this up in a hurry when my BMW died. As others have said, I'm sure I can drive this car for 10 more years with minimal maintenance...the question is whether I would WANT to. From the outside, it looks like a Honda Accord with an Acura badge slapped on it. (The Honda stamps on the glass don't help.) The controls (wiper, cruise, even horn) are identical to the Accord my family drove in 1978. No evolution. None. Even worse is the engine. This thing can only break 10s 0-60 if I manually shift, and it's a yawner for passing anyone.

reliable but not exciting
By It's just me on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This car is, in essence, a glorified Honda. Reliable and predictable, but lacks the soul and spirit of a european car. This car does everything it is supposed to do- but without passion. Good Points: reliability, quality of fit and finish, quiet ride (other than wind noise), good stereo, Excellent Acura Dealership, low overall cost of ownership. Bad points: wind noise, poor layout of dash (fog light, cruise control and fan switch) low unsupportive seats, miniscule trunk space, bland styling, cheap feeling leather, rough idle (typical for 5 cylinder), no tilt on sunroof and tendency to fog up on rainy days.

Wished I kept my Honda
By ktwill904@yahoo.com on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Worst car I've ever had. Everyone else has the exact same problems with their cars. A technicians told me that the 2.5 TL's were the worst cars Acura makes. I will NEVER buy another Acura. Hard to believe that these people make Honda's. Ask a TL owner about problems they've had with their cars. You'll get a list. Here are things to worry about: parking brakes, regular brakes wind noise, radiators, if your car goes dead and you don't have the code to your radio you are screwed,inside brake lights, power lock shortage, the center piece in your rims will fall out,numerous recalls

Love this car!
By Adam G on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This vehicle deserves a much better rating than given. This car is reliable and a beautiful automobile. It holds its value well and it looks like a brand new car.