1997 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Good car but not great
By divergentdan on 01/08/13 13:35 PM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

I bought a '97 TL because the trannys on the 99-03s are notorious for failing. Bought the car with 138K and now it's up to 176K. I've replaced radiator ($150), axles+tie rod ($450), fuel pump ($250), starter ($150). Also replaced regular things (battery $100, rotors and pads $300). The car does tend to overheat, but it's usually caused by air in the cooling system so you just need to bleed the system when it does and it takes care of the problem 95% of the time. Gas mileage is just OK (26-28 highway, 24 combined). Slow windows is a universal problem. Otherwise it's a good car.

This is my secon Acura 2.5 T L
By ave8tor on 06/24/12 18:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I have now owned two Acura 2.5 T L's. What an excellent automobile. The first one I sold after putting on almost 300,000Kms with just regular maintance. The only major problem is the manifold cracked and was not repairable, a $2,000 fix. Other than that I loved the car. The paint was excellent, and the interior stood up well, with just a few cracks in the leather interior. I purchased my second 2.5 t l in Geroria with only 40,000 miles on the spedo. Drove it Canada and had it totalled in a rear end collision with a pick up truck this week. I would recommend this car for its comfort, economy, and reliability and driving performance. A true five (5) star automobile.

Not my favorite car at all
By Eric on 07/10/10 23:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Let's see when I bought this car ay first I loved it had no problems at all until the ac idler pulley went. Got that replaced. Then no more then a month later that belt Burns off, then the ac compressor went. Like a 600dollar job. My catalytic converter and flex pipe go. 700 dollar job. Back brakes plus calipers both sides. Front ones need to be done now. Passenger window gettin ready a blown speaker. Also the d led light is out for drive. Left front tierod too. And this is all happened in about 5months. There's more I'm sure but this car is horrible for things going wrong between 89,000-100k miles. Ridiculous. Was wondering if anyone else has probs like mine.

1997 Acura TL
By todd on 04/22/09 09:44 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This is the best vehicle I have owned yet. It currently has 285,000 kms and going strong. I just replaced my cv axle. It drives smooth, quiet and peppy as ever. I do find my fan (blower) isn't working as well as it used to but if that's my only problem... then I really don't have any. Still keeps up with the best of them.

Acura = 10 years without repair work
By ealfarotx on 11/29/07 16:09 PM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for 10 years and other than regular oil changes and regular maintenance I have only spent $250 for on-board computer connector that was replaced. It's time to do the timing-belt change now, but that's expected with close to 100k miles.

'97 TL, an Excellent Car
By Clay on 12/31/05 12:14 PM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Excellent car in every way. At 110,000 miles the dealer replaced the o2 sensor and the spark plugs under the free Acura extended emissions warranty (up to 150,000 miles). Otherwise the car has been extremely reliable with only regular maintenance. Regular maintenance costs were low. The paint and the fit and finish of all interior and exterior parts are still great after eight years of use. And it's still comfortable and fun to drive with good acceleration, braking, and handling.

Luxurious Ride
By Jenny on 05/28/05 01:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Acura 2.5 TL in 2004. The paint has held up wonderfully with a great topcoat. The sleek design is very desirable to most. No cracks or problems with the leather interior. Very little maintenance problems. A very luxurious ride. I am very pleased.

Great car for the money
By 3.2 premiun on 05/21/05 20:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Just bought a used TL with 73000 miles. The car looks great and has all the features you can ask for $8500. My only complaint is that I had to have the starter replaced at 74000 miles, and the starter for this car is pretty expensive considering its a honda ($550). I also notice when I park slowly I can hear the gas swishing in the gas tank, it also seems like the fan always turns on when the car turns off. Otherwise the car is very fun to drive. It handles great, the interior and exterior look great.

97 3.2 TL
By John on 05/09/05 16:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

Great audio for a stock system. Beautiful car and much more elegant than Toyota. Solid engine, but it could use a little more power. Very reliable, but the gas mileage isn't the greatest. Never try to change the timing belt yourself. It took me three days. It can be done, but it's a pain. If you change the transmission and differential fluid often it will shift very smoothly and erase the "clicking" sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Overall, a very stylish and dependable car. I'll be driving this for a while.

I love this car!
By bw on 02/25/05 20:37 PM (PST)

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I have owned 3 Acuras and this is by far my favorite. I bought this new in 1997, have put over 200,000 miles on it and have only done basic scheduled maintenance on the car. Reliability and quality are exceptional. The look is timeless and my mechanic says I could put another 150,000 miles on the car without a worry. Rides like a dream. Buy this car and you'll never buy another brand again.