Used 1997 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Good car but not great
By divergentdan

1997 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

I bought a '97 TL because the trannys on the 99-03s are notorious for failing. Bought the car with 138K and now it's up to 176K. I've replaced radiator ($150), axles+tie rod ($450), fuel pump ($250), starter ($150). Also replaced regular things (battery $100, rotors and pads $300). The car does tend to overheat, but it's usually caused by air in the cooling system so you just need to bleed the system when it does and it takes care of the problem 95% of the time. Gas mileage is just OK (26-28 highway, 24 combined). Slow windows is a universal problem. Otherwise it's a good car.

This is my secon Acura 2.5 T L
By ave8tor

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I have now owned two Acura 2.5 T L's. What an excellent automobile. The first one I sold after putting on almost 300,000Kms with just regular maintance. The only major problem is the manifold cracked and was not repairable, a $2,000 fix. Other than that I loved the car. The paint was excellent, and the interior stood up well, with just a few cracks in the leather interior. I purchased my second 2.5 t l in Geroria with only 40,000 miles on the spedo. Drove it Canada and had it totalled in a rear end collision with a pick up truck this week. I would recommend this car for its comfort, economy, and reliability and driving performance. A true five (5) star automobile.

Not my favorite car at all
By Eric

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Let's see when I bought this car ay first I loved it had no problems at all until the ac idler pulley went. Got that replaced. Then no more then a month later that belt Burns off, then the ac compressor went. Like a 600dollar job. My catalytic converter and flex pipe go. 700 dollar job. Back brakes plus calipers both sides. Front ones need to be done now. Passenger window gettin ready a blown speaker. Also the d led light is out for drive. Left front tierod too. And this is all happened in about 5months. There's more I'm sure but this car is horrible for things going wrong between 89,000-100k miles. Ridiculous. Was wondering if anyone else has probs like mine.

The stereo, the engine, interior (dash) color blue, still runs great

everything going wrong too soon

1997 Acura TL
By todd

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This is the best vehicle I have owned yet. It currently has 285,000 kms and going strong. I just replaced my cv axle. It drives smooth, quiet and peppy as ever. I do find my fan (blower) isn't working as well as it used to but if that's my only problem... then I really don't have any. Still keeps up with the best of them.

Heated mirrors, placement of all accessory buttons

Part numbers are very hard to find, closest dealer is 250kms away.

Acura = 10 years without repair work
By ealfarotx

1997 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for 10 years and other than regular oil changes and regular maintenance I have only spent $250 for on-board computer connector that was replaced. It's time to do the timing-belt change now, but that's expected with close to 100k miles.

Reliability is the key with this car. People get impressed how good it looks after 10 yrs and there are no squeaks inside the car.

The only improvement on the Acura line is that they should start building more aggressive cars similar to Lexus ISF line. You have the quality now is the time to compete with BMW.