1997 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Good car but not great
By divergentdan on 01/08/13 13:35 PM (PST)

1997 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I bought a '97 TL because the trannys on the 99-03s are notorious for failing. Bought the car with 138K and now it's up to 176K. I've replaced radiator ($150), axles+tie rod ($450), fuel pump ($250), starter ($150). Also replaced regular things (battery $100, rotors and pads $300). The car does tend to overheat, but it's usually caused by air in the cooling system so you just need to bleed the system when it does and it takes care of the problem 95% of the time. Gas mileage is just OK (26-28 highway, 24 combined). Slow windows is a universal problem. Otherwise it's a good car.

'97 TL, an Excellent Car
By Clay on 12/31/05 12:14 PM (PST)

1997 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Excellent car in every way. At 110,000 miles the dealer replaced the o2 sensor and the spark plugs under the free Acura extended emissions warranty (up to 150,000 miles). Otherwise the car has been extremely reliable with only regular maintenance. Regular maintenance costs were low. The paint and the fit and finish of all interior and exterior parts are still great after eight years of use. And it's still comfortable and fun to drive with good acceleration, braking, and handling.

97 3.2 TL
By John on 05/09/05 16:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Great audio for a stock system. Beautiful car and much more elegant than Toyota. Solid engine, but it could use a little more power. Very reliable, but the gas mileage isn't the greatest. Never try to change the timing belt yourself. It took me three days. It can be done, but it's a pain. If you change the transmission and differential fluid often it will shift very smoothly and erase the "clicking" sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Overall, a very stylish and dependable car. I'll be driving this for a while.

Luxury and Performance
By AcuraMan on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I bought my Acura used with 40,000 miles. It now has 140,000 miles on it, Driven rough the whole time. Only had two mechanical problems with it. Driver side actuator and starter went out. Total of $400.00 in Repairs, for a seven year old car not bad at all.

My 1997 3.2 TL
By oulaw90 on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

This is a great and reliable car. You cannot beat the price of this car used. I am going to keep this car till 150,000 miles and still get $$ on resale Dont buy a new honda or camry when u can buy this for half the price?

Acura/Honda are always reliable.
By Sheng Sheen on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

This is my 4th car on the Honda line. I've had Civics and Accords prior to owning this 3.2 TL. I will probably keep this car until it dies. I love it, and I put so much into it. The handle is great, and it's fast. The acceleration is far better than any car I've driven, except for a car I had with Turbo on it. There's no reason why people are driving the speed limit in this car. You can cruise 90 easily without feeling anything.

I liked it though.....
By Jay Kim on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car about one year and half ago. I never had any problem!! Great Reliability~ Great design~ I never get bored. Sound system's quality is good but power is too weak. Smooth and enough performance to enjoy~ But wind noise is the only the part I don't like.

Holds Value Well
By ebharrison on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Reliable, and fun to drive. Good resale value makes me feel good about this choice. Some passengers complain about how low the seats are to the ground and those with long legs dislike the rear seat.

Great Reliable Car
By TRayner on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Have enjoyed the car since purchase. Very sharp simple design and cleans up very well. The placement of the fog light switch and criuise control button is hidden behind the headlight stalk. Very bad position. Love the leather interior and the factory sound system is excellent. Factory Michellins are adequate but a bit loud. Trunk is a bit small with a small opening, so loading luggage has to be planned. No problem ups to 100,000 miles and counting. Do keep the transmission fluid changed since the Acura don't have changeable filters.

lIZ REVIEW OF 97 TL
By LIZ BECKER on 03/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan

Overall the car is pretty solid, my only complaints are the road noise and the sheer wind factor on the driver's side. Cush claims this is a design problem and cannot be fix. I find this hard to believe in a car that when was new sold in the 30's. The sheer wind factor can be very irrating and would love to be able to fix. Cush dealership is great would buy from them again.