1996 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Performance, at a price!
By Comfortable, zippy on 10/21/05 08:57 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Fell in love with this car, a local trade-in, at Toyota dealership. Had 90K miles, but had been maintained by Acura as a leased car. Soon learned that parts were VERY expensive, as was service by Acura dealership. I love its style and features. Tight quality, firm shift, responsive handling. Handles extremely well - has saved my grace a couple of times with its quick response in heavy traffic.

Must have gotten a dudd
By Dissapointed on 06/24/05 14:38 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Wanted it as soon as I saw it. Bought a 8 yr old car with 69,000 miles on it, expecting to make it to 100,000 with grace (Honda engine!). In the first 6 months replaced battery, starter, had random misfire, replaced sparkplugs, heater failed, sound system failed. NOW I am replacing a blown head gasket and am worried about the antifreeze that was BURNING out my tail pipe. Minor cosmetics were fixed like cupholder cover. Not only did I pay too much at the dealership originally but I could have bought a new car for the amount of money I have put into this one. As soon as this car is out of the shop I am selling it to someone who can deal with fixing it every week.

Great car
By John on 05/14/05 21:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 4dr Sedan

Major maintenance service completed at 95,000 miles . Runs perfectly. I would recommend highly . Have a 2001 Mercedes E-320 wish I had the same realiability.

Great for the $
By V-6 3.2TL P on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

This car is great! Fun to drive, good performance for size and type of car. There are some minor issues but nothing major. Can't beat the performance, comfort, and value.

Best car I've had so far
By tjael on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 4dr Sedan

I bought this Acura in 1996 and it was a terrific car It has/had 157,000 miles on it. We had major maintenance work done at 100,000 miles, new belts, timing belt, etc. Other than that no major expenses. Just last week my teenage son totalled it, and at time of wreck the car was still running extremely well. Am now looking for another Acura to replace the TL.

Excellent Car for the Price
By shadowfenrir on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this for $13000 ($10000US) after selling my '90 4Runner for gas reasons. This car is good on gas for its size (about 10L/100km or 24mpg in city driving and 6.3L/100km or about 30mpg on the highway). It is very comfortable with its nice leather bucket seats (although the leather isnt as high class as in the newer cars, or even as in the older lexus cars, but its good). The engine is very responsive and refined even at high RPM, but the transmission tends to shift at weird times. I haven't had any problems at 160000km(100000mi) other than c/v boots needing replacement. Great car!

Acura 2.5TL Premium Sedan
By Joannie621 on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

If I could buy this car brand new, I would! I have driven and experienced just about any other car out there- and I'm always happier and more comfortable in my Acura. The car is classy, sporty, and reliable. Mine has 125K miles and running amazingly. I have driven about 60 miles a day to college for the past 4 years and my car has never let me down. Now I can afford any other car but seriously don't want to give it up!

Great Car
By CGKansas on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Acura TL 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Extremely reliable and great ride. I bought it as a certified used car and I'm planning to buy a new 2004 TL replacement.

Getting The Looks
By SCB81 on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Acura TL 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 71,000 miles. It now has 87,000. this car has been good to me so far. The only problem I've had thus far is a ball joint is starting to fail and cause a loud squeeking noise from under the driver's side fender. I replaced the stock wheels with the '02 3.2 TL Type S wheels and the car looks almost brand new, despite the fact that it's 8 years old. This car always turns heads. I love it!

Solid after 154k
By upton pt on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in '97 as a certified pre-owned. With 154k miles, the car has held up extremely well and still going strong.