Used 1996 Acura TL 3.2 Premium Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

A FAN
By John

1996 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Owned four Acura over the years - all were great. Bought this TL and have put over 150,000 miles on it. Its a classy looking car w/o being over the top. Its amazing that the car is over 10 years old and people think its a newer model. Acura created a design with some legs on it - it stays contemporary looking well beyond the norm. Only repairs in the last 10 years is a new starter(very expensive $600) and new rear calipers. Everything else has been normal wear and tear maintenance.

Quality, Looks, Handling, exclusivity (you don't see these cars at every stop light)

The newer TL addressed my concerns: Quicker Throttle response, Larger tires, bigger brakes, and more power. Although I am not as excited about the new TL's styling - but that's personal preference.

Performance, at a price!
By Comfortable, zippy

1996 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Fell in love with this car, a local trade-in, at Toyota dealership. Had 90K miles, but had been maintained by Acura as a leased car. Soon learned that parts were VERY expensive, as was service by Acura dealership. I love its style and features. Tight quality, firm shift, responsive handling. Handles extremely well - has saved my grace a couple of times with its quick response in heavy traffic.

Performance is great! High quality leather seats, nice sound system, but above all, Acura quality!

Get real with replacement part prices! The transmission has proven to be a weak link by many owners. The security/door-lock system has failed for many, and Acura was not willing to make any concessions for the $500-plus replacement of the control module!

Must have gotten a dudd
By Dissapointed

1996 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Wanted it as soon as I saw it. Bought a 8 yr old car with 69,000 miles on it, expecting to make it to 100,000 with grace (Honda engine!). In the first 6 months replaced battery, starter, had random misfire, replaced sparkplugs, heater failed, sound system failed. NOW I am replacing a blown head gasket and am worried about the antifreeze that was BURNING out my tail pipe. Minor cosmetics were fixed like cupholder cover. Not only did I pay too much at the dealership originally but I could have bought a new car for the amount of money I have put into this one. As soon as this car is out of the shop I am selling it to someone who can deal with fixing it every week.

Sunroof/power everything/heated seats/good power even with AC/ very stylish/ extremely fun to drive

Make easier to repair, extremely high cost for repairs due to trouble accessing main mechanisms. Reduce wind noise with better sealings, better quality cupholder cover. Reliability was less then satifactory for a Honda.

Great for the $
By V-6 3.2TL P

1996 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

This car is great! Fun to drive, good performance for size and type of car. There are some minor issues but nothing major. Can't beat the performance, comfort, and value.

V6, comfort, exterior styling, features, premium audio speakers and driveability.

Windsheild/windows get chipped or scratched, window fell out of alignment, a bit more power would've been nice and stock CD/cassett player isn't the best.

Great Car
By CGKansas

1996 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Extremely reliable and great ride. I bought it as a certified used car and I'm planning to buy a new 2004 TL replacement.

Every time I get behind the wheel, it does what I expect, and very well.

Some wind noise during highway driving.