Used 1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Outrates my past Cadillac
By Michael

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I have had this acura for four years now and it out performed my previous STS Cadillac. The only repair which I have had to do in the last four years was to replace the muffler. Yes, I was quoted like $600 for a muffler but, what I did was buy one using the internet with a rebate costing me only $114 usd, and then had it installed at a local mechanic for $25 since it was just three bolts to deal with but it required a lift to replace it. Overall great car!!!! I take care of it so it will last, why deal with car payments for a new one... LOL

BEST car ever owned
By Ed

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2.5TL used in 2000 with 26k miles on it. It now has 228k miles and it still going strong. My teen son drove it for 2 years, my teen daughter drove it for 1 year, now I am driving it again, and it takes me everywhere without problems. I commute 4 hours round trip (combo of highway and city) daily!

Quality and design.

Better lumber support. That's a personal preference though. The rest of the family thinks it's fine.

Now has 214k
By upotn pt

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Back on 2/16/04 I wrote a review when the car had 154k. Well, it now has 214K! It's getting a bit tired now, uses a bit of oil, leaks a bit of oil, bunch more rattles and sqeaks. HOWEVER you can't go wrong with a first generation TL!! Best car I have ever owned. I am in the process of looking to buy for another 96-'98 TL with say 100k miles. I'll be giving my TL to my oldest teenager. He loves the car.

Longevity.

Nothing... incredibly well build car.

Inspire is a great car for the money
By InspiredTiki

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Got this car with 135k on it for $4k and had no real problems till just recently. Ball joint on psgr. side is squeaking, and steering rack leaks p/s fluid (leakstop stopped it tho). No really BIG issues though! Wish I found a 3.2 (drove my friends one, BIG difference!), but the 2.5 is ok. Acceleration is a bit sluggish, but it is over 3k lbs. Proper maintenance keeps this bad boy running smooth. Just replaced the console with the 3.2 premium wood console. Made a world of a difference in the cockpit!

Exterior styling (shouldn't have changed it), tight turning radius, and the smooth ride. The cockpit is set up pretty nice too (just need more illumination to see what you're trying to adjust).

Make it quiet! Road noise is bad for a "luxury" car. Smoother shifting tranny would be nice too. Cheaper parts would be nicer. At least drop the price to 3.2 prices. Why is the 2.5 more expensive? A tilting sunroof would've been nice too.

Excellent Car for the Price
By shadowfenrir

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this for $13000 ($10000US) after selling my '90 4Runner for gas reasons. This car is good on gas for its size (about 10L/100km or 24mpg in city driving and 6.3L/100km or about 30mpg on the highway). It is very comfortable with its nice leather bucket seats (although the leather isnt as high class as in the newer cars, or even as in the older lexus cars, but its good). The engine is very responsive and refined even at high RPM, but the transmission tends to shift at weird times. I haven't had any problems at 160000km(100000mi) other than c/v boots needing replacement. Great car!

Auto climate control Nice seating. EXCELLENT stock sound system. 8 speakers and sounds very crisp and loud with good bass. EXCELLENT reliability. No powertrain trouble or major repairs needed. Good fit and finish on the paint and interior materials. Heated mirrors.

They could have used better materials on the door handles on the inside. It looks like a chrome foil was wrapped around them. Needs a rear spoiler and bigger rims (stock is 15") and better tint on glass.