1996 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
Outrates my past Cadillac
By Michael on 07/28/09 15:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I have had this acura for four years now and it out performed my previous STS Cadillac. The only repair which I have had to do in the last four years was to replace the muffler. Yes, I was quoted like $600 for a muffler but, what I did was buy one using the internet with a rebate costing me only $114 usd, and then had it installed at a local mechanic for $25 since it was just three bolts to deal with but it required a lift to replace it. Overall great car!!!! I take care of it so it will last, why deal with car payments for a new one... LOL

BEST car ever owned
By Ed on 04/11/09 09:58 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2.5TL used in 2000 with 26k miles on it. It now has 228k miles and it still going strong. My teen son drove it for 2 years, my teen daughter drove it for 1 year, now I am driving it again, and it takes me everywhere without problems. I commute 4 hours round trip (combo of highway and city) daily!

Now has 214k
By upotn pt on 02/01/08 05:40 AM (PST)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Back on 2/16/04 I wrote a review when the car had 154k. Well, it now has 214K! It's getting a bit tired now, uses a bit of oil, leaks a bit of oil, bunch more rattles and sqeaks. HOWEVER you can't go wrong with a first generation TL!! Best car I have ever owned. I am in the process of looking to buy for another 96-'98 TL with say 100k miles. I'll be giving my TL to my oldest teenager. He loves the car.

Inspire is a great car for the money
By InspiredTiki on 07/17/07 15:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Got this car with 135k on it for $4k and had no real problems till just recently. Ball joint on psgr. side is squeaking, and steering rack leaks p/s fluid (leakstop stopped it tho). No really BIG issues though! Wish I found a 3.2 (drove my friends one, BIG difference!), but the 2.5 is ok. Acceleration is a bit sluggish, but it is over 3k lbs. Proper maintenance keeps this bad boy running smooth. Just replaced the console with the 3.2 premium wood console. Made a world of a difference in the cockpit!

Excellent Car for the Price
By shadowfenrir on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this for $13000 ($10000US) after selling my '90 4Runner for gas reasons. This car is good on gas for its size (about 10L/100km or 24mpg in city driving and 6.3L/100km or about 30mpg on the highway). It is very comfortable with its nice leather bucket seats (although the leather isnt as high class as in the newer cars, or even as in the older lexus cars, but its good). The engine is very responsive and refined even at high RPM, but the transmission tends to shift at weird times. I haven't had any problems at 160000km(100000mi) other than c/v boots needing replacement. Great car!

Acura 2.5TL Premium Sedan
By Joannie621 on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

If I could buy this car brand new, I would! I have driven and experienced just about any other car out there- and I'm always happier and more comfortable in my Acura. The car is classy, sporty, and reliable. Mine has 125K miles and running amazingly. I have driven about 60 miles a day to college for the past 4 years and my car has never let me down. Now I can afford any other car but seriously don't want to give it up!

Solid after 154k
By upton pt on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in '97 as a certified pre-owned. With 154k miles, the car has held up extremely well and still going strong.

Acura Produces Great Autos
By Jbrown500 on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought this one used but it feels, smells, and acts like new. Very reliable and handles like a charm. As a medium size luxury car it is a great value and is probably one of the more underappreciated cars in this class. My TL2.5 is as reliable as the day I purchased it, even with 117,000.

A Very Mixed Bag
By WavyGravy on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This car is in one word interesting. The materials and design on the inside and out are of top quality, but the engine is another story. The inline 2.5 Litre inline 5 cylinder is the outcast of Acura engines. While it loves to rev high and sound very buzzy, it doesn't move you as fast as you would expect it too. With some very agressive driving in my automatic 2.5, I've been able to squeeze out a 0- 60 time of 7.4 seconds. Not too bad in my book, especially since it's a 5 banger pulling around 170 horses. Not a fast car, but one that will move you around in style and almost guranteed to fire up every morning.

Best car I've owned
By CarNut on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This car is extremely reliable, very comfortable, nice engine sound, great looks.