1996 Acura TL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:
96 Acura problems
By henry49 on 09/30/11 07:07 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 4dr Sedan

200k mi(9-30-11) oil leak-filter neck gasket, then water pump alternater moter mounts($400ea) fuel pump And relay(stuck on freeway) oil leak on distributor gasket seats crack oil leaks valve cover(numerous)and on cam seal oil burns and smells(must fix) harmonic balancer wheel to alt bad,(must replace) front wheel bjoints radio(cd trouble) I fix one thing then next week or day here comes another, boy, glad I'm blessed that I can fix my own vehicle! (I really ain"t finished)

Reliable!
By Mayra Holguin on 06/03/10 14:27 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 4dr Sedan

Hi there! I just wanted to share my personal experience in driving an Acura 2.5 TL 1996, in stating that it has been a reliable vehicle ever since I purchased it. I'm still driving this vehicle, and it still runs well.

Outrates my past Cadillac
By Michael on 07/28/09 15:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I have had this acura for four years now and it out performed my previous STS Cadillac. The only repair which I have had to do in the last four years was to replace the muffler. Yes, I was quoted like $600 for a muffler but, what I did was buy one using the internet with a rebate costing me only $114 usd, and then had it installed at a local mechanic for $25 since it was just three bolts to deal with but it required a lift to replace it. Overall great car!!!! I take care of it so it will last, why deal with car payments for a new one... LOL

Excellent after 200000
By kalz on 06/10/09 14:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 4dr Sedan

I bought my acura in 2007 from a private party with about 160,000 miles on it. Since then it's been extremely reliable, the only thing I have spent money on is brake calipers for rear left wheel. Other than that I have had no issues. My car has now 216000 miles on it and it still feels the same. I would highly recommend acura to anybody who wants to buy a used car.

BEST car ever owned
By Ed on 04/11/09 09:58 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2.5TL used in 2000 with 26k miles on it. It now has 228k miles and it still going strong. My teen son drove it for 2 years, my teen daughter drove it for 1 year, now I am driving it again, and it takes me everywhere without problems. I commute 4 hours round trip (combo of highway and city) daily!

Now has 214k
By upotn pt on 02/01/08 05:40 AM (PST)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Back on 2/16/04 I wrote a review when the car had 154k. Well, it now has 214K! It's getting a bit tired now, uses a bit of oil, leaks a bit of oil, bunch more rattles and sqeaks. HOWEVER you can't go wrong with a first generation TL!! Best car I have ever owned. I am in the process of looking to buy for another 96-'98 TL with say 100k miles. I'll be giving my TL to my oldest teenager. He loves the car.

Inspire is a great car for the money
By InspiredTiki on 07/17/07 15:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Got this car with 135k on it for $4k and had no real problems till just recently. Ball joint on psgr. side is squeaking, and steering rack leaks p/s fluid (leakstop stopped it tho). No really BIG issues though! Wish I found a 3.2 (drove my friends one, BIG difference!), but the 2.5 is ok. Acceleration is a bit sluggish, but it is over 3k lbs. Proper maintenance keeps this bad boy running smooth. Just replaced the console with the 3.2 premium wood console. Made a world of a difference in the cockpit!

Still Going Strong
By Kenny on 05/15/07 13:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 4dr Sedan

Bought my 2.5TL in 2001 with 27k miles. Now at 145k miles and car still is doing fantastic! Service it every 30-45k miles and this car should run for a while. I have no complaints with this car and hope to get a new TL someday. Hopefully not for another 100,000 miles!

A FAN
By John on 06/22/06 04:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura TL 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Owned four Acura over the years - all were great. Bought this TL and have put over 150,000 miles on it. Its a classy looking car w/o being over the top. Its amazing that the car is over 10 years old and people think its a newer model. Acura created a design with some legs on it - it stays contemporary looking well beyond the norm. Only repairs in the last 10 years is a new starter(very expensive $600) and new rear calipers. Everything else has been normal wear and tear maintenance.

Great Car!
By Chuck on 02/08/06 12:16 PM (PST)

1996 Acura TL 2.5 4dr Sedan

Without a doubt, this has been the best car that I have ever owned. I now have 197,000 miles on the car. The only thing that I have replaced on this car outside of normal wear and tear items, is the radiator and fan unit. That's it! This was my first Acura but you can bet it won't be my last.