1996 Acura SLX Consumer Review: I miss my baby. ;.. (

1996 Acura SLX SUV - Consumer Review

I miss my baby. ;.. (
By Welsher on

1996 Acura SLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '96 SLX in August of '07 before leaving for college in Cali (Washington is home). I loved this car, my plan was to drive it til it died, and then drop a V8 in it , slightly lower it, and black it out (it was the green/beige 2 tone). :) Long story short I got hit by a drunk 18 days ago and it's totaled, and the insurance company just offered me $3,462.35 for it. It was great for hanging out w/ my friends at college, driving to the beach, driving to the mountains, driving around town, on the HWY, wherever. It had a very solid, strong, tank-like feel, although sluggish (3.2L V6 in 2 ton vehicle), and in spite of having failed the 30 mph swerve test, it took the corners surprisingly well.

Interior was roomy and luxurious, power everything, heated and power front bucket seats, great console, easy 4WD, "power" and "winter" drive settings. GREAT IN SNOW (because of weight?)! I drove 50 mph through a ft. of fresh snow on HWY-18 here in WA and DIDN'T EVEN USE 4WD! That thing was a soldier.

Fuel economy: 15 MPH city. 19 HWY. Not bad for an SUV but it could be better. Stopping takes a little longer than normal, because it's 4k lbs. Just allow following distance. Acceleration could be better, but I guess there goes your fuel economy, unless you get a turbo, and there goes your insurance!