Used 1996 Acura SLX Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Acura Slx - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (5 reviews )

I miss my baby. ;.. (
By Welsher

1996 Acura SLX SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '96 SLX in August of '07 before leaving for college in Cali (Washington is home). I loved this car, my plan was to drive it til it died, and then drop a V8 in it , slightly lower it, and black it out (it was the green/beige 2 tone). :) Long story short I got hit by a drunk 18 days ago and it's totaled, and the insurance company just offered me $3,462.35 for it. It was great for hanging out w/ my friends at college, driving to the beach, driving to the mountains, driving around town, on the HWY, wherever. It had a very solid, strong, tank-like feel, although sluggish (3.2L V6 in 2 ton vehicle), and in spite of having failed the 30 mph swerve test, it took the corners surprisingly well.

Favorite Features

Interior was roomy and luxurious, power everything, heated and power front bucket seats, great console, easy 4WD, "power" and "winter" drive settings. GREAT IN SNOW (because of weight?)! I drove 50 mph through a ft. of fresh snow on HWY-18 here in WA and DIDN'T EVEN USE 4WD! That thing was a soldier.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy: 15 MPH city. 19 HWY. Not bad for an SUV but it could be better. Stopping takes a little longer than normal, because it's 4k lbs. Just allow following distance. Acceleration could be better, but I guess there goes your fuel economy, unless you get a turbo, and there goes your insurance!

SLX Premium Package I Love It
By Gremlenman2000

1996 Acura SLX SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this SUV! 20 MPG. Tows an 18 ft boat well. No problems in the boat ramp. Slips in and out of 4WD with ease. I would buy another. I wish I had bought this SLX new. Thanks

Favorite Features

The ease of 4WD in the boat ramp. The different look. The gold lettering.

Suggested Improvements

I like it just the way it is.

Comfortable but boxey
By Steve of Ohio

1996 Acura SLX SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

It is a nice vehicle, but it's a little sluggish and boxey on the road. Feels and drives like a mini-bus. Gas mileage isn't good, but it does deliver when towing and hauling. Lots of space and pretty reliable. She doesn't quite 'hug the road', so it needs to be driven like a mini-bus. It also has one of the worst roll-over ratings, so drive carefully. Looks great and runs well.

Favorite Features

Love the space and flipup seats and it feels strong. It has nice design and is great for camping and tailgating.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage, sportier suspension, make it alittle lighter so it isn't so hard to stop. Backseats that come out or fold into the floor. Better rear door design, b/c it is a pain to close (unlock) when you are holding anything or parked at an angle.

Big
By Kristeen Fitts

1996 Acura SLX SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the size of this SUV. Lots of storage space in the back and lots of headroom. The back seat is large enough for three carseats!

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. It is not very fun to drive - but it is an SUV.

SLX
By MissMrozik

1996 Acura SLX SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Great car, very few mechanical problems. Vehicle is large and my husband's LX470 Lexus, but it gets 17.00 mpg, 4 more than the Lexus. Acura dealers treat certified used car purchasers very well.