Used 2005 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura RSX Type-S - Consumer Reviews

Type-S 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (71 reviews )

So far it's been amazing
By cczajka21

2005 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car about a month ago with only 84,000 miles on it. For being almost 10 years old, I thought that was pretty good. I have always loved this kind of car and ended up finding one when I wasn't even looking. After the first test drive i fell in love. The 6 speed is amazing and so much fun to drive. It has the perfect amount of power for me and it handles great. I was worried about the mpg because before this car I had a corolla and got excellent gas mileage. I go to college in a big city so I figured that would lower my mpg but I'm getting an average of 29.5 which I thought was good. So far I have had no problems and hope it stays that way so i can keep this car for a long time.

The clutch is still amazing for having 84,000 miles on it. The exterior is amazing as well as the interior. The seats are very comfortable. The 6-disc cd player is great. Very reliable. Good amount of hp especially for a 4 cyl. Good on gas and extremely fun to drive!

They should have never stopped making them!

Fun little car
By statusone

2005 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This was my first car ever and I enjoyed the heck out of it. It was vivid blue pearl and I had the type-s so the wheels looked amazing as well. The car was definitely a head turner and everyone seemed to like, people would let me thru in traffic (this doesn't happen in something like a bimmer). It is a Honda so it is reliable as the universe and I had it serviced at Honda (since no Acura dealership was built near me at the time) and I got Honda prices, but Acura prices aren't that bad actually for a luxury car. It isn't as fast as you'd expect a 210 hp car to be. The problem is you have to wind it up to 6500 rpm to get it going and there's very little torque. But a fun drive nevertheless

Beautiful car. Wheels, paint, perforated leather interior, heated seats. Red glow in the dash is easy on the eyes. Holds value like a tank.

2nd gear grind. 3rd gear pop out. This can actually end up being dangerous if not taken care of. Tape deck is useless. Interior can be prettier. Seat is a too high and I'm only 5'7. Also it can get uncomfortable on long trips. A few rattles here and there but mostly fixable. Soft paint = Chips easy and can start rusting if not maintained. Maybe it's too beautiful - mine was stolen.

Used Acura
By robertbaseball

2005 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

So i'm a new driver and i just bought a 2005 AcuraRSX as my first car. I've driven other cars and the engine noise isen't so loud. Is it just my car or is it just a noisy car? Other than that i love it! Leather seats but very sporty bucket seats. Interior is a little plain but has plenty of room to add an indash navigation system which will do soon. Plenty of horse power even in the non S type. Great car!!

Great fun car, but with unfortunate drawback
By denverseven

2005 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is really fun to drive, especially stick. I found it to be underpowered however and always had to work for torque since it peaks so low and at high rpms. However, once you learn to time everything correctly it becomes a joy to drive. I had problems with my transmission (which are common). The gear gear kept popping out and if you tried to keep it in there it would grind. The second gear was about to go in my car (but if you read the crsx forums, you'll find tonnes of owners have second gear grind. These things really begin to take a toll after some time and destroy the enjoyment of the drive. Otherwise, great built quality - clutch will last and last, and is also very light.

Light clutch, sharp gear changes, otherwise reliability. Looks great, always gets great comments. But then its so nice that it gets stolen (lol, thats what happened to mine)

MORE POWER. More toque. Also a traction control system or a dif or something. OH and an auxiliary jack! Like come on, a tape deck???? In a 2006? Other improvements: Brink the car back! lol

Resilient Coupe
By TypeS4real

2005 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is my 2nd Type S & still impressed. With the hp bumped up to 210, it performs very well. Turn-ratio & handling are great. For a high torque coupe, it still gets good mpg, but it does require premium unleaded. Like other owners say, the ride can be extremely stiff so watch bumps in the road very carefully, seriously. I like how Acura upgraded the wheels to 17s, but wish they kept the original headlights, since that's what initially caught my eye. Interior hasn't changed, still sleek. The fold-over rear seats are a huge plus, but rear seating is narrow. As long as required maintenance is done (which is HIGHLY recommended), it'll be faithful. Definitely reliable, fun, & a great value.

Pros: awesome 6-speed horsepower for a 4 cyl, great looking interior, tight handling, the standard luxuries (moonroof, spoiler, 6-disc CD changer, Bose speakers, leather seats), can do long road trips, great value.

Cons: Wish it wasn't discontinued. While it can be a pro for some, its torque & high rev definitely makes it noisy while driving. Suspension could be tweaked to absorb more road impact; interior could have added a sunglass compartment; premium unleaded gasoline puts it at a disadvantage with some.