Used 2003 Acura RSX Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura RSX Type-S - Consumer Reviews

Type-S 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (123 reviews )

Fun to drive, high revving car.
By bpayne

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Another great car I have owned. This car has a sporty look to it with the optional A-spec package offered by the acura dealership which includes spoiler, lip kit and upgraded suspension rims and tires.

Auto climate control with sunroof and optional 17 inch rims.

Transmission is a little jerky with second and third gear grinds a problem on several models.

Have Clutch?
By Johnny Rotten

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This vehicle was the right car for the right price, wanted something with good gas mileage and fun to drive. At 3000 miles the clutch slipped, took it in, couldn't find a problem. At 20,000 miles the clutch was shot, they replaced under a 'good faith' warranty. At 40,000 miles clutch slipped again, couldn't find a problem. At 49,000 miles the second clutch is shot, had to be replaced. Told me it was a wear and tear item and I had to pay for it. $1400 later, I'm getting my one year warranty out of the clutch and then getting rid of it. It likes to go fast, but doesn't like to stop. Brakes need improvement. The Bose sound system could be a lot better. I've heard Bose before, this is no Bose.

I-VTEC! Smooth shifting. Gas mileage, average 26 mpg.

Build better transmissions!!

Wonderful Little Car.
By JDA

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Picked this up used as a 2 year placeholder, and now I'm rethinking the decision - in a good way - as in I might keep it longer than I thought. A great car. Excellent mpg, reliable, quick, handles great (for what it is), well-designed, sporty looking, low-emission vehicle. If you fold those back seats down, you can cram a lot of stuff back there. I feel like I'm late to the party on this model and now it has been discontinued - what a shame. The only negatives - small back seat, and overall the car is really small and light. I worry about safety, especially when I drive my little girl. In sum: if you like to drive curves fast, but you need a commuter, you will like this car.

Interior ergonomics are sensational. Everything in reach and most everything is well-placed. The short-throw shifter. The undertated, non-garish exterior. The twisty road "shredability" factor on the weekend. The "blend into the masses" factor on weekdays. The "kick" of the V-Tech @ 6000 rpm.

RSX is discontinued.

Head and Heart both Love It
By Beltway Driver

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my RSX Type-S in September 2003 as a commuting car for a daily drive around the Washington beltway, and it's helped me survive the area's brutal driving conditions in style. The car is a great value in purchase price, in gas mileage and in the low operating costs/perfect reliability. At the same time I still get a seat-of-the pants thrill every time I rev it up to merge onto the highway or whip around a curve. I looked at many other cars before buying; none compared in style and driving pleasure in this price range. Road noise and stiff seats are a small tradeoff I'm happy to make for this much sport-driving pleasure.

Acura's "everything comes standard" policy, great-feeling stick shift, red dash lights, plenty of power outlets for added audio equipment (iPod, XM radio), hatchback (I can get amazing amounts of stuff in my car!)

Occasional buzz shifting into third gear is a departure from the silky shift I normally feel; I still miss the center armrest; big blind spot requires careful checking before lane changes; heated seats would be nice!

Amazing, but could be rounded out more
By John

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle for about 23 months now and I drive about 2000 miles per month. My driving is about 1/2 city and 1/2 freeway and I've taken it on some longer road trips also. It has great gas mileage, great acceleration and tight steering and suspension. The seats definitely get uncomfortable, but they also let you feel the road in a sporty way. After the first few hundred miles, I thought the 6-speed transmission was broken, but it turns out that Acura just makes 'em "different". Third gear is a little odd (you'll probably grind it from time to time, even if you're very experienced). The BOSE sound system is nothing special compared to other luxury sound systems.

Gas mileage, tight and sporty steering and suspension. Quick acceleration. Extremely low and predictable operating costs - maintenance on this thing is CHEAP and nothing has ever broken (except for a headlight that was only working from time to time until it was replaced.)

Lots of road noise gets tiring quickly. Seats could be a little more comfortable, and for an Acura one would generally expect power and heated seats which would be a nice improvement. Would also like to see HID lighting and a GPS navigation option.