Used 2003 Acura RSX Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Rsx - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura RSX Type-S

Type-S 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (123 reviews )

Best car ever
By tchoughs

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car a few months ago, and ever since I first test drove it I have been in love with it. If you are looking to buy an rsx, understand that it takes a certain kind of person to live with this car, as it is rough, bouncy, harsh and generally unforgiving. My rsx has many modifications, but I would love a stock one just as much. I have never experienced any problems that have not been caused directly by me. This car handles beautifully despite the fact that it is fwd. I had a huge bias against fwd but this car changed my mind. It can even drift!(sort of, this has just been an experiment by me) I highly recommend this car. Also VTEC!

Favorite Features

Everything. Exept the stock shift knob as it is weighted strangely, but this is an easy fix.

Suggested Improvements

Shift knob, ride height(lower is better)

Great Car
By bourge15

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Only had this car for a year, but in that time it has had no problems except for replacing the windshield wipers. Great to drive, tight gearbox, and revs really high. When you floor it, you can feel VTEC kick in about 6000rpm and starts to pull even harder. In the Type-S trim, the interior is pretty comfortable and the Bose stereo sounds great. People compliment me on the cars sporty but subtle looks. Most people guess the car is a 2008.

Favorite Features

Love the 6 speed tranny, the Type-S is worth the extra money in initial price and gas expenses.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing that would make it better is RWD.

I'll drive it till it dies
By angz415

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I am the third owner of my 2003 RSX Type-S and I can't say enough postivie feedback about it. I'm currently at 170,000 miles and the only major repair that I've had to do is replace the clutch (which was more expensive because of the clutch's location and the man hours required to get to it). This car drives so well. Not only is it fast and fun, but the front wheel drive make it easy to contol in rain and snow (just so long as your have some ground clearance). I also love the hatchback feature. The seats in the back fold down and you can store a lot in there.

Favorite Features

The 6-speed manual transmision and the hatchback.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back into the Acura line-up! This is a great car and I can'r understand why they discontinued it.

Best Sport Compact Car in its Class
By JayJayPG

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned my 03 Type S for over 6 years and will most likely be keeping this car for another 6+ years. It really is the best all around FWD sport compact car out there. I always get complements on it's appearance due to the A-Spec package mine was installed with from the factory (body kit, rear wing, aluminum shift knob, sport suspension, 17" wheels). I have never had a major mechanical problem with this car and it still drives like it did 6 years/50,000 miles ago. The only issue I have ever had with my RSX- S is a squeaky/notchy clutch pedal (which is easily remedied by spraying white lithium grease on the master cylinder pushrod).

Favorite Features

Interior styling, exterior styling (especially with the A-Spec package!), dependability, easy/afforadable to maintain/repair, numerous aftermarket performance parts available, high- revving K20A2 motor. Very cheap to own and fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Stock Michelin tires are horrible (every RSX owner will tell you this). Shifting is not as smooth as other manual transmissions I have driven (Eclipse, WRX, Accord). Seats are hard as a rock. The dash rattles in cold weather (but goes away if you close all the vents and blast the heat).

03 RSX-S Review
By JayJayPG

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned my 03 Type S for over 6 years now and have loved every minute of it. I have the optional A-Spec package installed on mine (which makes for a more aggressive-looking RSX) as well as a few additional modifications (Mugen Sport Suspension, Comptech Rear Sway Bay, Comptech Icebox, Comptech Short Shifter, HID's, etc.). All of these modifications have really increased the overall fun factor of driving/owning the car. I do all of my own service (using OEM parts/fluids) and it is a very inexpensive car to maintain. I have never had a single problem with this car.

Favorite Features

Handling, high-revving K20A2 motor, interior design/ergonomics, fuel economy, very spacious in hatchback mode.

Suggested Improvements

Squeaks and rattles from interior pieces. Shifting is somewhat notchy. Seats are hard/uncomfortable for long trips. Stock Michelin tires are terrible.