Used 2003 Acura RSX Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura RSX Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura RSX Hatchback

View reviews for a specific RSX model:

Baby Acura for the Win!
By Steve

2003 Acura RSX Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car to replace a gas hog (mustang gt) for college. My job is roughly an hour and a half away and I needed something decently efficient on gas that didn't have the price tag of a Prius, and could still do the work and school trips on one tank. I came across one of these on a local craigslist and haven't had any regrets. It's one of the only Acura's (to my knowledge) that doesn't require premium gas or throw a fit if you don't put it in the tank. It usually does in the mid 20's mpg in the city and high 20's if not low 30's mpg on the highway. As long as you don't stomp on the gas pedal this car will do amazing no matter where you drive it; which was one of the selling points for me. The only downsides to this car come when you have to either replace belts, headlight bulbs, headlights or taillights. Because the car is so small, space under the hood is in short supply; therefore things like belts typically mean removing the entire front bumper to replace. The headlight bulbs (usually for the passenger headlight) also require removal of the entire bumper, which means you'll need to schedule some time aside for certain "simple" projects. If you need to take an entire headlight or taillight out of the car, the bumpers need to be removed completely as well since the retaining bolts are underneath the headlights and taillights. Besides those downfalls, the car is amazing. If you can find a type-s (200+hp) and don't mind driving a stick, those are the way to go. If a manual transmission isn't your thing the base models still have a good amount of kick to them (150+hp), and parts for these cars are extremely easy to find and aren't a whole lot of money either.

A great little car
By mjl73187

2003 Acura RSX Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is truly a little gem of a car.
I've had mine for over four years, put almost 50,000 miles on it, driven it three times round-trip from Connecticut to Arkansas, driven it around the mean streets of Brooklyn.
It never lets me down.
I've driven it at 80+ mph with all my worldly possessions (including an antique desk) crammed in the back and STILL gotten 34 mpg.
I'll drive it until the wheels fall off, unless I need something with four doors.

I have never, not once, driven a car with a sharper transmission. The handling is alive and responsive. The seats are comfortable; there's great visibility out. How can a car be both the perfect roadtrip car AND the perfect city car? It looks good in an unpretentious way: doesn't stick out in good neighborhoods or bad ones. Easy to park. The interior is high-quality and the gauges look great at night.

Turning radius (short nose with a transversely-mounted engine) is no good for such a small car. It's not as quiet on the highway as most luxury cars or even more modern small cars. It's not slow, but it's not fast, either. You don't need the Type-S, but you want the Type-S. The backseat is a dungeon unless you are a double amputee with no head. There's nothing clever or delightful about the interior except a cupholder cover that doubles as a change-holder.

Just bought one...
By jtree91

2003 Acura RSX Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2003 RSX and I have to say I am very satisfied. The first quality that jumped out at me when I first drove it was its tight, sports car handling. This car handles beautifully and I am able to take turns at speeds I never could have imagined in my previous car, a grand am. The interior is leather, two toned sports seats that really add to the cars sportiness. There is a body kit on the car so it looks really sharp and sounds great with the magnaflow exhaust. Overall, im glad I bought it. I feel as though honda makes very reliable cars and the rsx is no exception.

The radio stock is very plain and basic, so I have an aftermarket headunit that fixes that.

Great Car
By My 2nd Acura

2003 Acura RSX Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd Acura that I have purchased. I purchased this one because the first one I owned was awesome. This car is now 7 years old and I have only done normal maintenance to it. I wish Acura would make another model that is reasonably priced. I will be holding on to this one until it stops working.

Handles great and hugs the road. Interior red lights and wrap dash make you feel like you are in a cockpit. Gas mileage ok around 25. Sharp looking inside and out! Car is quality built, not alot of major problems. Tons of room for a small car.

Road noise is to much. Inside vibrates alot when car is cold.Seats could be a little more fluffy.

Dependable Fun Car
By andy g

2003 Acura RSX Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Owned this vehicle for six months. Great car overall. Good acceleration. Good gas mileage usually get above 30 miles per gallon depending on how I drive. Only problem with it the car so far was the fan belt had to be re placed at 44,000 miles. This cars seats could be more comfortable, on long rides seats can be uncomfortable. Overall this car this car was a great decision suggested to anyone who wants a fun fast car that is good on gas.

Acceleration, gas mileage, hatchback.

Not being discontinued.