Used 2003 Acura RSX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura RSX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RSX model:

Baby Acura for the Win!
By Steve

2003 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car to replace a gas hog (mustang gt) for college. My job is roughly an hour and a half away and I needed something decently efficient on gas that didn't have the price tag of a Prius, and could still do the work and school trips on one tank. I came across one of these on a local craigslist and haven't had any regrets. It's one of the only Acura's (to my knowledge) that doesn't require premium gas or throw a fit if you don't put it in the tank. It usually does in the mid 20's mpg in the city and high 20's if not low 30's mpg on the highway. As long as you don't stomp on the gas pedal this car will do amazing no matter where you drive it; which was one of the selling points for me. The only downsides to this car come when you have to either replace belts, headlight bulbs, headlights or taillights. Because the car is so small, space under the hood is in short supply; therefore things like belts typically mean removing the entire front bumper to replace. The headlight bulbs (usually for the passenger headlight) also require removal of the entire bumper, which means you'll need to schedule some time aside for certain "simple" projects. If you need to take an entire headlight or taillight out of the car, the bumpers need to be removed completely as well since the retaining bolts are underneath the headlights and taillights. Besides those downfalls, the car is amazing. If you can find a type-s (200+hp) and don't mind driving a stick, those are the way to go. If a manual transmission isn't your thing the base models still have a good amount of kick to them (150+hp), and parts for these cars are extremely easy to find and aren't a whole lot of money either.

Best car ever
By tchoughs

2003 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car a few months ago, and ever since I first test drove it I have been in love with it. If you are looking to buy an rsx, understand that it takes a certain kind of person to live with this car, as it is rough, bouncy, harsh and generally unforgiving. My rsx has many modifications, but I would love a stock one just as much. I have never experienced any problems that have not been caused directly by me. This car handles beautifully despite the fact that it is fwd. I had a huge bias against fwd but this car changed my mind. It can even drift!(sort of, this has just been an experiment by me) I highly recommend this car. Also VTEC!

Everything. Exept the stock shift knob as it is weighted strangely, but this is an easy fix.

Shift knob, ride height(lower is better)

Great Car
By bourge15

2003 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Only had this car for a year, but in that time it has had no problems except for replacing the windshield wipers. Great to drive, tight gearbox, and revs really high. When you floor it, you can feel VTEC kick in about 6000rpm and starts to pull even harder. In the Type-S trim, the interior is pretty comfortable and the Bose stereo sounds great. People compliment me on the cars sporty but subtle looks. Most people guess the car is a 2008.

Love the 6 speed tranny, the Type-S is worth the extra money in initial price and gas expenses.

Only thing that would make it better is RWD.

A great little car
By mjl73187

2003 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is truly a little gem of a car. I've had mine for over four years, put almost 50,000 miles on it, driven it three times round-trip from Connecticut to Arkansas, driven it around the mean streets of Brooklyn. It never lets me down. I've driven it at 80+ mph with all my worldly possessions (including an antique desk) crammed in the back and STILL gotten 34 mpg. I'll drive it until the wheels fall off, unless I need something with four doors.

I have never, not once, driven a car with a sharper transmission. The handling is alive and responsive. The seats are comfortable; there's great visibility out. How can a car be both the perfect roadtrip car AND the perfect city car? It looks good in an unpretentious way: doesn't stick out in good neighborhoods or bad ones. Easy to park. The interior is high-quality and the gauges look great at night.

Turning radius (short nose with a transversely-mounted engine) is no good for such a small car. It's not as quiet on the highway as most luxury cars or even more modern small cars. It's not slow, but it's not fast, either. You don't need the Type-S, but you want the Type-S. The backseat is a dungeon unless you are a double amputee with no head. There's nothing clever or delightful about the interior except a cupholder cover that doubles as a change-holder.

Just bought one...
By jtree91

2003 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2003 RSX and I have to say I am very satisfied. The first quality that jumped out at me when I first drove it was its tight, sports car handling. This car handles beautifully and I am able to take turns at speeds I never could have imagined in my previous car, a grand am. The interior is leather, two toned sports seats that really add to the cars sportiness. There is a body kit on the car so it looks really sharp and sounds great with the magnaflow exhaust. Overall, im glad I bought it. I feel as though honda makes very reliable cars and the rsx is no exception.

The radio stock is very plain and basic, so I have an aftermarket headunit that fixes that.