Used 2002 Acura RSX Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Rsx - Consumer Reviews

Type-S 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (211 reviews )

a fun trip to the redline
By Jeff

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

So far, so good...I purchased this car used and have had a blast with it. Everywhere I research, I hear nothing but good about this car. This is my first 6-speed and I'm lovin' every minute of it. The stereo kicks, teenagers gawk in awe, and not everyone has one like, say, a civic. It's quiet and reserved when I want it to be and screaming hellfire when I don't.

Favorite Features

transmission, stereo, rear hatch space, the intense head-turning engine scream at 6000-7900 rpm.

Suggested Improvements

every once in a while it seems impossible to not grind the synchros between 2nd and 3rd even when I think I'm doin' everything right.

Better than a GSR
By Caryn S.

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I was planning on buying an older Integra GSR and had driven many of them. I thought the RSX was out of my price range but decided to test drive it anyway. After just a 10 minute test drive I had totally changed my mind. The extra money was worth to spend. The RSX-type S handles better, goes faster, and has it's own unique interior compared to the Integra. Taking this car on back roads is the most thrilling ride. It rides like rails around those sharp turns and with the new seats for the RSX you stay right in your seat. It's like it hugs you in your seat. The power is incredible and I love the sound of hitting that V-Tec. For the money you pay for this car it's definitely worth every cent!

Favorite Features

Suspension, seats, organization of the interior.

Suggested Improvements

This car is lacking a middle console which would be nice as an arm rest. It also doesn't have the window up option if you have already turned off your car.

Great car, Safe and Stylish
By wtm

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I unfortunately totaled my RSX-S recently by bouncing it off two trees at almost 70 mph. There was no damage to the interior cabin and thankfully no injuries. Besides being safe, this car is a thrill to drive. The car is really fun at about 6500 rpms and handles beautifully. The leather interior is comfortable and sporty, especially the red guages. This car is great for the consumer that wants excitement in a safe and stylish compact car. The car is an overall great buy and I would recommend it to anyone in the compact market.

Favorite Features

Stock Bose stereo, leather seats, plenty of storage space, vtech engine, short throw shifter, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

More low-end torque, bigger tires, 17" wheels, better front end styling

Great compact car
By Jim

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned an Integra and the RSX blows it away. Every aspect of this car has been thoughtfully crafted. The interior is very clever and simple, and the leather seats are comfortable and supple. The exterior does not suffer from over-styling, but presents a sleek and aggressive stance. I have not had any problems with the car whatsoever. This has to be the best compact car on the market.

Favorite Features

6-speed manual, firm steering, driving above 4000 RPMs.

Suggested Improvements

Could use more low-end torque. AWD would be a great addition. Pin-stripe and spoiler look cheesy.

Fun to drive yet practical
By Elias H Sarkis, MD

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My RSX-S is great to drive both on the interstate and around town. The car is practical and we have used it to move all sorts of stuff as the backseats fold down. Performance is unbelievable!! As the rpm's go higher, the power really kicks in and it is a blast. It would be nice to find a curvy road with no cops around!

Favorite Features

Stick shift is wonderful, precise and smooth. Handliing is great.

Suggested Improvements

Some less road noise would be better. also an adjustable suspension to make it less stiff when driving on non smooth roads.