Used 2002 Acura RSX Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Rsx - Consumer Reviews

Type-S 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (211 reviews )

2002 Acura RSX Type S
By JohhnyW

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Overall I'm happy with the car. My first car was an Integra, then I drove a Pathfinder and I'm happy to be back in a two door coupe. That said, the Type S isn't as good on gas as I'd hoped and it's downright treacherous in the snow. Snow tires are needed on this car. My only other real complaint is that it doesn't reach a decent speed until you rev the heck out of it, but that's the V-Tech way. Oh ya, the V-tech chip fried a month after I bought it (I bought an 02 in 06). I love the red interior lighting, the short stick and the six speeds, although at times it seems like I'm shifting way too much. Acura really just packed six speeds into 200 HP here as a gimmick, but it can be a fun one.

Favorite Features

Short stick, red interior, six speeds... sometimes.

Suggested Improvements

Somehow make it better in the snow.

Loved it
By gunmetalalloys

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Comfortable and well designed interior (except for cupholder placement in front of shifter, though I've seen a lot worse). Beautiful inside/out. Had problem with shifting into 2nd, and everytime I had the dealer fix it the problem moved up a gear. Gave up when it got to 4th as ratios were tall enough it was rarely a problem anymore. Fairly neutral handling but beefened up rear sway bar made it better. Cold air intake helped power immensely for cheap, and engine torque dampener helped with traction. Good quality of materials and fit/finish except for the vinyl thigh support for seats. Loved the hatch - a very useful and fun car!

Favorite Features

Styling - it's a cop magnet and in a way I'm glad it's gone as I no longer get followed home. Quality and comfort was good. Performance more than adequate. Hatchback design is so useful I wish more cars in this segment were hatches. Quality of audio.

Suggested Improvements

Too late now but... audio should be MP3. More bass. LSD and/or traction control. Side mirrors leak water leaving a streak after washing and drying. Please bring it back!!

The Perfect Car (toy)!
By Brian

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I was originally looking at an Eclipse GT-S, but after test driving it, it was as boring as a Buick. The Celica GTS and Prelude just didn't do it for me either. But the moment you sit in an RSX Type S, it fits like a perfect glove. It moves forward effortlessly, and is a ton of fun to drive. I like the cockpit, the seats, the styling, the firepepper red exterior - it's all good! You can tell it was meant to be a unique experience by design. It feels like everyone on the road is just too slow when you are behind the wheel of that bad boy. The "new car novelty" never wears off. I want to be buried in this car.

Favorite Features

The torque explosion at 6,000 rpms is great, and you can't beat the scream of the engine. The red lighting is pretty cool too. I am the 3rd owner and it feels like a brand new car.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I wish for was better base from the Bose stereo. The baby sub on the spare tire just isn't powerful enough.

RSX-S, Great commuter
By brian

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I started with a Subaru Impreza AWD, so the transition to the RSX-S was pretty easy. The RSX-S has a nice stiff stock suspension, and great handling; it almost feels like it has AWD. With a couple small mods(cold air intake, racing exhaust) the car has a noticeable difference in acceleration. It's a lot of fun to drive, and has a sleek design.A++

Favorite Features

Leather racing seats "hug" you as you hug the turns. Plenty of room in the front..I'm 6' 220lbs. Nice acceleration. 6 speed. Bose sound system

Suggested Improvements

"Mids and highs, but no lows, that's bose" It needs a sub for any kind of R&R Rap, anything. Get a sub! Also, being 6' tall, there is no room in the back for passengers. More horsepower out of the factory would greatly improve the car. The 02'- 05' has like 190 or 195hp stock

Fun, fun, fun.
By Juan

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Fun to drive, the six speed shifter can get tiring if you are not into shifting all the time. Back seat space is pretty tight, if you have friends over 5'8" tall have them seat up front. Great fuel economy for such a fast car. Acura build means it still feels like new. No problems with it so far.

Favorite Features

Fast, fuel efficient, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

More back seat space.