Used 2002 Acura RSX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Rsx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RSX model:

Last Acura I will ever buy
By Bub24

2002 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I absolutely hate this car! It has been nothing but an expensive lemon. 1st the oil pump went bad ($800) then the vtec pressure switch $74, then the vtech actuator. Now the timing chain is stretched. 83,000 miles are you serious? Oh and forget about finding replacement parts at your local autoparts store. Almost every piece of this abomination is special order or my favorite "dealer only $$$$ part" I am done with Acura and there overpriced crap.$1366 to replace a timing chain!What!

Favorite Features

body was cool looking and gas mileage was good.

Suggested Improvements

Well they don't make them anymore so i guess there's no point.

Great experience
By Scott

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Love this car. Very reliable. I had ZERO problems with it for the 50k miles I drove it. It has a comfortable, cockpit like feel for the driver, the Type-S is a blast to drive. It's very peppy, though the engine is tuned so that the acceleration doesn't really kick in until after you hit almost 6k RPM's. This wasn't a problem, except for the fact that I wasn't aware of it for almost 3 months!

Favorite Features

Bose premium stereo. Reliability. Very fun to drive. Great interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel efficiency could be better.

Plenty of power
By Great Car

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have the Type-S model, and it has plenty of power. Although the handling of this car is phenomenal, even given the fact that it is a front wheel drive car. The car has stood up to me well and just recently has the engine light come on but I must say it was caused by me running over a groundhog. Other than that I love this car! The 8000 rpm red line is amazing,And so is the i-VTEC system. Remember, this is the little brother of the NSX, and it will not let you down, and is simply amazing!

Favorite Features

favorite features? HUH... Well, there are many beginning the engine, the six speed manual transmission, oh... did I mention the Bose audio system, sorry but I must say i-VTEC! The practicality of a hatchback. The handling, the feel of the steering wheel, and the list goes on and on!

Suggested Improvements

Well, they could start making it again for starters. but, bigger brakes would have been nice. And come on Acura, why couldn't we have gotten the Type-R, like in Japan. Also the volume on the stereo system should be able to go a little bit higher on the volume.

Not what I expected
By aspen9120

2002 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

This is my first Acura and I was buying it for the quality, both in reliability and solidity, but I've been disappointed in both. With under 50,000 miles I've already had two sensors go out, both of which were extremely expensive (think 10x more than other cars I've had!). The other complaint I have is with the noise level. I really expected this car to be solid as a rock and it was when I bought it in the summer. In the winter the dashboard sounds like it may fall off whenever I hit a bump. This seems to be a common problem with owners though Acura has never heard of it. I really had high hopes for this little car and maybe I was just unlucky.

Favorite Features

Styling, fun to drive, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The extreme rattling makes the car feel cheap, a luxury brand - really any car that was $23,000 new in 2002 - should be more solid.

I Love this car!
By RSX2002chicago

2002 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my car new on October 8th, 2001. To date I have had only 1 problem with the car and that was a faulty O2 sensor at 79,000 miles. That's it. Everything else has been routine maintenance( fluid flushes, filters, brakes, wipers). This car has been so reliable. I've driven it to Texas and back and in the mountains in Colorodo near Longmont/ Estes park and back to Chicago. This car is super reliable. Handling is great. Steering feel is perfect. You cut the wheel and the car responds instantly. Perfectly weighted steering. Fuel economy is 30's highway, 24 to 26 city. Drops to 17 to 19 in the winter (idling/warm up).

Favorite Features

Hatchback versatility, Steering feel, VTEC engine, ability to start in 2nd gear (helpful in snow), driver oriented cockpit, red instruments, seat design is great (nice bolstering), Steering wheel size and shape are perfect. I love my RSX and plan to keep it another 10 years.

Suggested Improvements

It's been discontinued, so first and foremost bring it back. Keep the hatchback design for versatility. Keep the seats & cockpit design. Add either a SH-AWD option or a limited slip diff. More HP won't hurt. Keep MPG the same or better. Heated seats, mirrors, & a windshield wiper de-icer.