Used 2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Rsx - Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura RSX Type-S

Type-S 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (211 reviews )

Great car, ruined by Honda bean counters.
By thr33wayclimax

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned this car since I was 16, and am now 26. Bulletproof reliability, only the A/C compressor has failed, twice. RATTLES/RATTLES....and more rattles. Maybe I never noticed or cared when I was younger, but this thing rattles like no other, the Tweeters, dash, trunk, doors, glove compartment I could go on, they all rattle. I feel like the car is going to fall apart when I hit a pothole. 2002 stock seats are terrible, NO support Hard seat bottoms. Replaced with seats from a 2005, much better! With all these issues, I cannot get myself to let it go, I don't think I'll ever sell this car.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission is the 3rd best I've had the pleasure of using. (1st=s2000, 2nd=FR-S) vtec cam switch never gets old as does reving to 8k rpm. Handles great with A-spec Suspension.

Suggested Improvements

LSD, better brakes, steering feel. Build Quality, rattled way too much, maybe that's why they stopped making it.

Great Car!!!
By tonyanytime

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

To all those who had bad experiences, suck it up! Ive owned over 20 different vehicles in the last 10 years, all used from Lexus, Audi A4, BMW 325i, 528i, Infiniti Q45, two F-150s, Oldsmobile, Acura 2.5 TL, 2 preludes, a civic with motor swap, dodge ram, and the list goes on. All had varying degrees of reliability BASED on previous care. All had maintenance concerns arise some more costly than others but you must accept that when purchasing a car. It makes me sick to see someone bashing this Acura. I havent driven mercedes yet, so until then THIS IS THE BEST HANDLING, SOLID DRIVING CAR OF ALL IVE OWNED AND DRIVEN. Im eager to drive it everywhere and i bought it with 129k. Its getting a turbo

Suggested Improvements

Consider a rear wheel drive platform

It's staying in the family
By jeff88

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Am selling this car to my son who is a college student and needs a car. Bought it used with 87k miles and it now has almost 125k. Needed a new clutch @ 115k and has brand new tires on it with a recent major service done @ 120k. This car seems like a new car and it's over 10 years old. Yes, it rides rough and has a noisy engine on trips but handles like a top line sports car and is a blast to drive with revs up. Around town gas mileage is 26, on some trips have gotten over 35, almost 36 mpg. I trade between 89 and 93 to average the 91 octane the manual suggests.

Favorite Features

Great handling, lot's of trunk space, looks really good -- has maintained it's eye appeal after 10 years. The engine is strong when you climb past 3000 rpm. Wish I could clone this car and keep one of them.

Suggested Improvements

None. BTW, never, and I mean never put Bridgestone pole position ultra high performance tires on this car with this suspension - they are rocks to begin with. Stay with Michelin or Yokohama avs, they are a better match for handling/performance and ride comfort.

Great experience
By Scott

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Love this car. Very reliable. I had ZERO problems with it for the 50k miles I drove it. It has a comfortable, cockpit like feel for the driver, the Type-S is a blast to drive. It's very peppy, though the engine is tuned so that the acceleration doesn't really kick in until after you hit almost 6k RPM's. This wasn't a problem, except for the fact that I wasn't aware of it for almost 3 months!

Favorite Features

Bose premium stereo. Reliability. Very fun to drive. Great interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel efficiency could be better.

Plenty of power
By Great Car

2002 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have the Type-S model, and it has plenty of power. Although the handling of this car is phenomenal, even given the fact that it is a front wheel drive car. The car has stood up to me well and just recently has the engine light come on but I must say it was caused by me running over a groundhog. Other than that I love this car! The 8000 rpm red line is amazing,And so is the i-VTEC system. Remember, this is the little brother of the NSX, and it will not let you down, and is simply amazing!

Favorite Features

favorite features? HUH... Well, there are many beginning the engine, the six speed manual transmission, oh... did I mention the Bose audio system, sorry but I must say i-VTEC! The practicality of a hatchback. The handling, the feel of the steering wheel, and the list goes on and on!

Suggested Improvements

Well, they could start making it again for starters. but, bigger brakes would have been nice. And come on Acura, why couldn't we have gotten the Type-R, like in Japan. Also the volume on the stereo system should be able to go a little bit higher on the volume.