2002 Acura RSX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RSX model:
Great car, ruined by Honda bean counters.
By thr33wayclimax on 12/30/12 16:36 PM (PST)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned this car since I was 16, and am now 26. Bulletproof reliability, only the A/C compressor has failed, twice. RATTLES/RATTLES....and more rattles. Maybe I never noticed or cared when I was younger, but this thing rattles like no other, the Tweeters, dash, trunk, doors, glove compartment I could go on, they all rattle. I feel like the car is going to fall apart when I hit a pothole. 2002 stock seats are terrible, NO support Hard seat bottoms. Replaced with seats from a 2005, much better! With all these issues, I cannot get myself to let it go, I don't think I'll ever sell this car.

Great Car!!!
By tonyanytime on 10/11/12 19:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

To all those who had bad experiences, suck it up! Ive owned over 20 different vehicles in the last 10 years, all used from Lexus, Audi A4, BMW 325i, 528i, Infiniti Q45, two F-150s, Oldsmobile, Acura 2.5 TL, 2 preludes, a civic with motor swap, dodge ram, and the list goes on. All had varying degrees of reliability BASED on previous care. All had maintenance concerns arise some more costly than others but you must accept that when purchasing a car. It makes me sick to see someone bashing this Acura. I havent driven mercedes yet, so until then THIS IS THE BEST HANDLING, SOLID DRIVING CAR OF ALL IVE OWNED AND DRIVEN. Im eager to drive it everywhere and i bought it with 129k. Its getting a turbo

It's staying in the family
By jeff88 on 05/26/10 07:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Am selling this car to my son who is a college student and needs a car. Bought it used with 87k miles and it now has almost 125k. Needed a new clutch @ 115k and has brand new tires on it with a recent major service done @ 120k. This car seems like a new car and it's over 10 years old. Yes, it rides rough and has a noisy engine on trips but handles like a top line sports car and is a blast to drive with revs up. Around town gas mileage is 26, on some trips have gotten over 35, almost 36 mpg. I trade between 89 and 93 to average the 91 octane the manual suggests.

Great experience
By Scott on 02/21/10 06:29 AM (PST)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Love this car. Very reliable. I had ZERO problems with it for the 50k miles I drove it. It has a comfortable, cockpit like feel for the driver, the Type-S is a blast to drive. It's very peppy, though the engine is tuned so that the acceleration doesn't really kick in until after you hit almost 6k RPM's. This wasn't a problem, except for the fact that I wasn't aware of it for almost 3 months!

Plenty of power
By Great Car on 01/07/10 12:26 PM (PST)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have the Type-S model, and it has plenty of power. Although the handling of this car is phenomenal, even given the fact that it is a front wheel drive car. The car has stood up to me well and just recently has the engine light come on but I must say it was caused by me running over a groundhog. Other than that I love this car! The 8000 rpm red line is amazing,And so is the i-VTEC system. Remember, this is the little brother of the NSX, and it will not let you down, and is simply amazing!

80,000 miles never let me down
By Anthony on 07/05/09 09:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Overall a great car with Honda reliability; a lot of performance in the sub 25k category, Car and Drivers 10 Best list, and finished 1st place in a 5 car comparison beating wrx, neon srt etc. In a recent trip to Boston got 31mpg in mixed hwy driving. I shoved a 42 Plasma tv in the trunk while still in the box with rear seats folded down. My only gripe was had to replace oxygen sensor at 75000 miles and it was pricey.

RSX Type S - great all round car
By redline8x1000 on 05/18/09 15:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This was my first car I bought on my own and it was great. Had everything you would want in a car including, performance, looks, utility, fuel economy, and reliability. If I had a need for a 2nd car I would have kept it however I'm sure it will be a blessing to the next owner.

Best First Car
By redline8x1000 on 05/07/09 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This was my first car that I had bought on my own. Got it when I was 27 and now I'm 34. (I just got a cpo BMW 328i with all the bells & whistles). This car had it all for the money. I was one of the first to have it. It was the TYPE S too. The handling was great for its classes. However I noticed that in the last couple years the suspension started to give a bit. The hatchback was great since the backseats could fold down and I could carry a lot of things in the back. The car had over 130,000 miles on it when I sold it to carmax. I'm sure it could have lasted several more years but I didn't have a need for 2 cars. I'll miss this car for sure, but I'm really enjoying my new ride! =)

Great Little Car
By *El Ocho* on 09/29/08 07:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The RSX is a great little car. I've had mine for over 5 years now & have had no problems what so ever. You just can't beat Honda build quality & reliability. The K20 may be the best engine Honda has ever built. It revs effortlessly to 8000 rpm & is highly tunable. The shifter is top notch & the car gives the driver great feedback. Tons of fun to drive

Fun to Drive and Reliable
By M Anderson on 01/01/08 05:14 AM (PST)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Not only is this vehicle a blast to drive, but I get to drive it (vs. in the shop for maintenance and repairs). The sound system is incredible as well. One downside: not great visibility for a shorter person.