2002 Acura RSX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RSX model:
Awsome Vehicle
By rsxc on 01/10/13 12:50 PM (PST)

2002 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I've owned two '02 ACura RSX's Premium. Bottom line is that they are very reliable. They will last a long time before they break. But like any car once they break they will cost a small fortune. Most aftermarket retailers do not carry the parts that usually break on this car. This means you must go to the the dealer to get the part, which can be hole in your pocket. All in all, I love this car. It's very cheap on gas, it has a very attractive sporty look, it's got all the goodies like: leather heated seats, heated powered mirrors, power windows and doors. I would definitely recommend this car.

Great car, ruined by Honda bean counters.
By thr33wayclimax on 12/30/12 16:36 PM (PST)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned this car since I was 16, and am now 26. Bulletproof reliability, only the A/C compressor has failed, twice. RATTLES/RATTLES....and more rattles. Maybe I never noticed or cared when I was younger, but this thing rattles like no other, the Tweeters, dash, trunk, doors, glove compartment I could go on, they all rattle. I feel like the car is going to fall apart when I hit a pothole. 2002 stock seats are terrible, NO support Hard seat bottoms. Replaced with seats from a 2005, much better! With all these issues, I cannot get myself to let it go, I don't think I'll ever sell this car.

Daily driver for 10 years
By oaklandfan78 on 10/30/12 22:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

My RSX has gone through a lot over the past 10 years and put on over 145K miles but it's still running strong. It's been through quite a lot. Among the highlights were how many times, it flawlessly handled the California drive from LA to SF. At one point, it also became my utility vehicle and the fold-down seats spent many weekends lugging around DJ equipment. It now serves as my daily commuter with good gas mileage and still evokes a strong feeling of excitement when I get on the road each morning. Hopefully I can make it to 200K one day.

Great Car!!!
By tonyanytime on 10/11/12 19:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

To all those who had bad experiences, suck it up! Ive owned over 20 different vehicles in the last 10 years, all used from Lexus, Audi A4, BMW 325i, 528i, Infiniti Q45, two F-150s, Oldsmobile, Acura 2.5 TL, 2 preludes, a civic with motor swap, dodge ram, and the list goes on. All had varying degrees of reliability BASED on previous care. All had maintenance concerns arise some more costly than others but you must accept that when purchasing a car. It makes me sick to see someone bashing this Acura. I havent driven mercedes yet, so until then THIS IS THE BEST HANDLING, SOLID DRIVING CAR OF ALL IVE OWNED AND DRIVEN. Im eager to drive it everywhere and i bought it with 129k. Its getting a turbo

It's staying in the family
By jeff88 on 05/26/10 07:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Am selling this car to my son who is a college student and needs a car. Bought it used with 87k miles and it now has almost 125k. Needed a new clutch @ 115k and has brand new tires on it with a recent major service done @ 120k. This car seems like a new car and it's over 10 years old. Yes, it rides rough and has a noisy engine on trips but handles like a top line sports car and is a blast to drive with revs up. Around town gas mileage is 26, on some trips have gotten over 35, almost 36 mpg. I trade between 89 and 93 to average the 91 octane the manual suggests.

Last Acura I will ever buy
By Bub24 on 03/10/10 22:00 PM (PST)

2002 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I absolutely hate this car! It has been nothing but an expensive lemon. 1st the oil pump went bad ($800) then the vtec pressure switch $74, then the vtech actuator. Now the timing chain is stretched. 83,000 miles are you serious? Oh and forget about finding replacement parts at your local autoparts store. Almost every piece of this abomination is special order or my favorite "dealer only $$$$ part" I am done with Acura and there overpriced crap.$1366 to replace a timing chain!What!

Great experience
By Scott on 02/21/10 06:29 AM (PST)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Love this car. Very reliable. I had ZERO problems with it for the 50k miles I drove it. It has a comfortable, cockpit like feel for the driver, the Type-S is a blast to drive. It's very peppy, though the engine is tuned so that the acceleration doesn't really kick in until after you hit almost 6k RPM's. This wasn't a problem, except for the fact that I wasn't aware of it for almost 3 months!

Plenty of power
By Great Car on 01/07/10 12:26 PM (PST)

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have the Type-S model, and it has plenty of power. Although the handling of this car is phenomenal, even given the fact that it is a front wheel drive car. The car has stood up to me well and just recently has the engine light come on but I must say it was caused by me running over a groundhog. Other than that I love this car! The 8000 rpm red line is amazing,And so is the i-VTEC system. Remember, this is the little brother of the NSX, and it will not let you down, and is simply amazing!

Not what I expected
By aspen9120 on 01/05/10 14:39 PM (PST)

2002 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

This is my first Acura and I was buying it for the quality, both in reliability and solidity, but I've been disappointed in both. With under 50,000 miles I've already had two sensors go out, both of which were extremely expensive (think 10x more than other cars I've had!). The other complaint I have is with the noise level. I really expected this car to be solid as a rock and it was when I bought it in the summer. In the winter the dashboard sounds like it may fall off whenever I hit a bump. This seems to be a common problem with owners though Acura has never heard of it. I really had high hopes for this little car and maybe I was just unlucky.

I Love this car!
By RSX2002chicago on 12/08/09 19:03 PM (PST)

2002 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my car new on October 8th, 2001. To date I have had only 1 problem with the car and that was a faulty O2 sensor at 79,000 miles. That's it. Everything else has been routine maintenance( fluid flushes, filters, brakes, wipers). This car has been so reliable. I've driven it to Texas and back and in the mountains in Colorodo near Longmont/ Estes park and back to Chicago. This car is super reliable. Handling is great. Steering feel is perfect. You cut the wheel and the car responds instantly. Perfectly weighted steering. Fuel economy is 30's highway, 24 to 26 city. Drops to 17 to 19 in the winter (idling/warm up).