Used 2009 Acura RL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Acura RL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:

Excellent Ride, Needs Better Brakes
By P Medina

2009 Acura RL Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Up to date, it has been a very enjoyable ride. Classy enough for my trade, as engineering consultant, and sporty enough for my younger heart. It has been, however, sifnificantly fuel thirsty, almost as my wive's MDX! However, dealership service has been excellent and the vehicle has operated flawlessly, unlike my previous Avalon! Overall, I'm happy with my purchase, except for braking performance.

Interior fit & finish. Excellent vehicle dynamics.

Does not feel with enough "torque" for the size. My greatest concern was experiencing a DRAMATIC BRAKE FADE while performing a panic stop from high speed. At least, with the performance oriented marketing infused image, I would expect a single instance safe stop, period!

I Love this Car
By BECKY

2009 Acura RL Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2.5 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland loaded with everything for this vehicle. The interior trim is excellent; the Nav system is far better then the Jeeps and as good as my husbands Audi A-8 system. The ride in this car is excellent, the vehicle is extremely quite and the sound system is exceptional. I am so pleased I purchased this car; I looked at the Cadillac and the Lincoln...the quality was no match. I believe I will be an Acura client for my next purchase too!

Nav system with live traffic, Vented seats, nice looking dash, excellent quality, extremely quite. Voice control works great!

Have a nav dial system for the phone system...other wise its perfect.

It just doesn't get any better than this
By Stephanie

2009 Acura RL Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

As a business executive and also a mother, I wanted a vehicle that exuded class without snob appeal that needed little maintenance and had the room for my clients as well as my family of four. I found the exterior to be stylish, the interior incredibly plush and the surround sound audio system unbeatable.

The Hard Drive navigation system can reset my destinations on the fly, give a three day forecast, reroute my course in the event of inclement weather or traffic stoppage and even make or change my service appointments for me! Who needs touch screen while driving? It even recharges my Ipod with USB!

I'd give it about an extra 8"-12" in the rear without taking up any of the cavernous trunk space!

Look elsewhere
By Jimbob

2009 Acura RL Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

For someone who has never owned a decent car, I imagine that they would think the RL is great. But I have had so many reliability problems with it, I will NEVER buy an Acura again. The handling is pretty good, the car is fun to drive, even though it is slow. Overall, I would rate it a 7 out of 10.

Nice chassis dynamics, turns great at any speed. Navigation system is stellar. Nice steering wheel. Comfortable seats.

The electronics are terribly unreliable. The car is managed by several controllers, all of which are severely buggy. Sometimes, the car won't start. Sometimes, the radio or climate won't work. Just painful.

Nice car...but.
By Mike P

2009 Acura RL Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is our second Acura. Over all this is a nice comfortable car. Long trips don't beat you up like some can. The AWD is rock solid on icy roads. My only gripe is that I have had problems with the heater on days that are below freezing. Even with the temp control set at 62 the passenger compartment gets very hot. Then it will turn on the ac and blow cold air into your face. Three different dealers couldn't find anything wrong. The car, compared with other 09 Acura's, when tested above freezing temps, are identical.

Great seats, radio, ride, easy to understand and operate controls, quiet.

Sophisticated heat/cooling system a big disappointment.