Used 2006 Acura RL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

2006 Acura RL

View reviews for a specific RL model:

RL After 9 Months
By Lee

2006 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System, Tech Package (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

No problems after 11,500 miles and only regular service so far (second at 15,000 miles or so). Easy and fun to drive, very comfortable and quiet.

Favorite Features

Collision mitigation braking system, active cruise control, nav system ease of use, bluetooth phone system and voice recognition system.

Suggested Improvements

Ventilated seats, a bit more room in the rear seat and heated steering wheel would be nice.

My favorite car, unfortunately totaled
By Jim

2006 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System, Tech Package (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Fun car to drive, unfortunately I totaled it last week. Got hit head-on by a large SUV. Car did its job well, I got a broken foot but I'm lucky to be alive. I already ordered another one. The five star crash ratings are well deserved.

Favorite Features

Navigation system, DVD audio, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Little bit more horsepower, ventilated seats, rain sensing wipers.

Nice step up from the TL
By acurat

2006 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System, Tech Package (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really agonized over the decision to trade up from my 2004 TL - I loved the technology, styling, acceleration and fuel economy. The "killer app" on the RL was navigation with real-time traffic. The first time I drove the RL it felt "floaty" to me. Now that I've driven it for a month, it feels serene. Interior amenities are much nicer than the TL - I don't ache anymore after an hour and a half on the road. The sound system ROCKS and technology is nicely integrated. The real-time navi saves some time, though mainly it gives a sense of mastery over the environment. Handling is secure, especially in the curves. Gas mileage is so-so, around 20. I love that there are no options.

Favorite Features

NavTraffic, great sound system with XM radio, adaptive cruise control, great seats, amazing value relative to competitors, rarity on the road.

Suggested Improvements

A few more HP, 6-speed tranny, standard iPod link, edgier stying.

Not a bad choice for the price
By hondabob

2006 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a leftover 2006 RL w/o tech in September. I got a car with stately design and that, once I added A-Spec suspension and 18" wheels, handles well in the twisties while maintaining excellent composure on local bumpy streets. The interior is nearly perfect except for small buttons. Luckily, voice activation works for all the common controls. I have owned Hondas previously and so am used to having to stomp on the gas to get adequate power and when you do, this car really does accelerate fast. In 50/50 city/highway mileage I am getting about 17.5 mpg, not so great especially when gas is so expensive. Overall, a good deal on a gorgeous ride!

Favorite Features

Interior quality, voice commands, stereo system, driving dynamics, AWD performance in winter.

Suggested Improvements

V8 power or find a V6 with better low-end torque please. Bigger trunk. Bigger dash buttons.

My experiences
By herbeand

2006 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Performance is really good. Power, handling, ride quality, interior comfort are all good. Tire noise is a little high. The headlights that turn when cornering is just high tech for the sake of it, not really useful. The Navi system is really difficult to use and dangerous when driving alone. The voice activation is hit and miss, especially with a window open, sometimes works, other times does the wrong thing. The electrochromatic mirror is garbage, the old fashioned flip types for night mode work much better.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the Navi system or at least make it an option. Provide quieter tires. Get rid of the electrochromatic mirror. Improve the voice activation system.