2005 Acura RL 3.5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

2005 RL Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (236 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Excellent Value; Give it a shot
By snrub1

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having test driven the competition, I feel the RL stands up to all comers. The car rides very well, is packed with features (the stereo is incredible) and, though lacking a bit in the excitement department, the car does everything very well. Dollar for dollar, the RL was by far the best value in the class. Thus far we are delighted by our purchase of the RL. Give the RL a shot if looking for a luxury sedan.

Favorite Features

The stereo and navigation systems are top notch, interior fit and finish make for a luxurious ride, bluetooth capability, the safety features are excellent (ABS, airbags galore and SH- AWD) and exterior styling is reserved and elegant. You receive a lot for your money.

Suggested Improvements

The engine could use more torque; the voice system can be frustrating at times (though Acura's is still one of the best). Yes, the RL drinks gas at a high rate. These are minor gripes.

Best Value
By CGPRL

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Test drove most of the competition from MB, BMW and Lexus. I think the RL is the best value and best overall performer in its class. It may not have the best handling and road feel, nor the most horsepower or torque, but I feel it is close to being the best in all categories. I didn't find a perfect car in my test drive (with a budget of under $60,000) and the RL is as close as it gets.

Favorite Features

DVD-A, Bluetooth, SH-AWD, Keyless driver recognition.

Suggested Improvements

More low end torque, more headroom, vented seats.

Unique Luxury Sleeper
By Bruce Bolen

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned five Mercedes, four BMW, two Saab. Acura RL is the best of the bunch because it has has modern, timeless styling that grows on you with time. The interior is totally modern and a pleasing, comfortable, friendly environment. Performance is more than adequate and 28 mpg at 80 mph on the highway is good for a 300 hp 4x4 luxury sedan. What I like most is you have something modern, enduring and unique with long term durability, and you don't see yourself coming and going in upscale locations. Mercedes has too many models and is no longer unique; and their quality is sagging. BMW is too flashy and yuppie and has durability problems. GM has ruined Saab and it may never recover.

Favorite Features

Build quality, pleasing, enduring and conservative style which will age well, performance, navigation system, great sound system, excellent performance, decent gas milage. Comfort. Modern. Great engeinering and best engines in the world come from Honda. Honda products are confidence inspiring.

Suggested Improvements

Make automated headlight on/off feature fully automatic as in GM cars. Light feature is useless because it can't be left in the "automatic" position without the chime ringing. More low end torque. Some herky-jerky in the drive train when traveling at steady low speeds. Ride is sometimes harsh.

I Love my Acura RL
By HenryTD

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my RL. I test drove the competitors and I bought the Acura because I loved the interior, the technology, and the SH-AWD system. I've had it for 3 weeks now, and it hasn't disappointed me in any respect. The technology all works, and the car handles great. For my money, a far better value than any of the others I test drove.

By Lovin

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I would rank this car in line with the Audi A6. It has absolutely everything you would ever want on a vehicle...the ultimate in luxury.

Favorite Features

Horsepower, sound, XM, Blue Tooth and body style

Suggested Improvements

little better gas mileage...17.5 city, 25 highway

My RL
By grimie09

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After driving most of the others in this group, the test drive of the RL was all it took to buy. Experiencing the combination of handling, killer sound system, build quality, technology & solidness was over the top. The car is fun.

Favorite Features

Going through curves like on rails, sound system that rivals home units and being wrapped in the Wood / Leather

Suggested Improvements

Needs a little more zip off the line

Best Car for the Money
By Emile Riendeau

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Thsi is an excellent vehicle in every respect. It is loaded with electronics that make driving more enjoyable. All the standard features make this one of the best values in this class. Excellent all around performance and cabin comfort. Ideal on the highway and back roads. All wheel drive ahead of its time.

Favorite Features

Excellent stereo, comfortable cabin, excellent back room and confort, Auto sun shade, customizing so many features for two drivers.

Suggested Improvements

Ten way passenger seat.

best car i've ever owned
By Marc

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Undoubtably the best car I have ever owned, and I've been through quite a few. Great combination of performance and comfort. Recently drove 525 miles with one brief stop. Made great time and avergaed 27 mpg. Was not the least bit tired when I got home. I give the credit to the RL - driving is not work in this car. Technology is awesome. Navigation system has been on the mark 100% of the time. Have 10000 miles without a glich. Last car, 2003 Volvo XC70, had 3 visits to dealer by now. Trunk a bit small and kids (3) wish for a little more width in back seat. Highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

The car's information systems are great. Headlights that adjust with turns are perfect for individual referred to as Mr. Magoo by his family.

Suggested Improvements

If they could tweak a little more trunk space out of it, life would be perfect.

05 Acura RL
By Richard N.

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the fourth Acura I have owned and each time I get a new one, every three years, I am thrilled with it. However, the new 05 RL has so many improvements that I do not know where to begin. The best feature with the biggest difference that I have found is the ALL - WHEEL drive; very necessary if you live in the New England area. Not having all wheel drive would have been my only reason for looking at another brand of automobile. I get approximately 19 to 20 miles per gallon average with the 300 hp engine. No need to look at another vehicle.

Favorite Features

large screen and user friendly navigation. all wheel drive. keyless ignition. body styling. 350 voice commands.

Suggested Improvements

can not think of any.

Amazing Acura
By acura fan

2005 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has everything from the keyless entry, 4 auto windows, no keys needed to start, amazing interior and exterior, voice command, and bluetooth. Fresno Acura is a very good dealership to buy from no hassle, very knowledgeable and a lot of nice incentives to buy there.

Favorite Features

Everything the keyless entry, 4 auto windows, no keys needed to start, amazing interior and exterior, voice command, and bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power from the V6 if you know Acura's there low end torque its quite there but don't get me wrong she will still get up and go.