Used 2005 Acura RL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura RL

3.5 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (236 reviews )

GREAT VALUE
By harvey

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I previosly owned an Infiniti and while I enjoyed that car for the price you just can't beat the RL. Very good ride quality and everything is standard including On Star and GPS. By comparison I would have had to spend $8,000 more for an M35 with the same equipment and not get On Star which is something I wanted ever since my wife has had it in her Mercedes. Everyone who has driven with me comments on the beautifull interior. I just wish the back seat had a little more room. No problems at all. When you compare features to features with other cars, it's a no brainer. hb

Favorite Features

GPS, On Star, All wheel drive, Interior

Suggested Improvements

Voice commands need tweaking. A little more room in rear seat.

Gets it Done
By bbyrone

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Probably the best riding car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

This product has the most extensive package of standard advanced tech offered in the industry.

Suggested Improvements

Larger trunk wouold be nice. But I spend so little time in there.

Best value in its class
By RL in Chicago

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Coming from a 1997 Mercedes E420, the Acura RL is a "downgrade" from a V8, but it's an upgrade in every other way. I was sick of the repair bills on the Benz ($500 to fix a outside mirror motor!), and so far, the RL has been without fault. I miss the torque of a V8, but I appreciate the improved fuel-economy, and for 90% of driving, the RL has plenty of power. However, if they had offered a larger version of this car with a V8, I would have bought that. One of the biggest reasons I bought this car is price. I paid $44,100 for it, before taxes, which is a bargin for all the content the RL includes as standard. With the same features, BMW, Mercedes, and even Lexus are much more $$$.

Favorite Features

SH-AWD is excellent, stereo is near- flawless, navigation is easy to use, and the real-time traffic is helpful here in Chicago. Build-quality is faultless, and the car has had 13,000 trouble-free miles so far... Dealer has been great as well.

Suggested Improvements

slightly larger backseat, more torque, and I wish I could close the windows with the remote like I could on my 1997 Mercedes E420.

Lovin It
By Bert

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a certified preowned low mileage RL. The car was everything I thought and hoped it would be. I looked at Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and found this to be hands down the best value for the money. If you are considering this car, buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Features

The information console is a technological marvel.

Don't Be Fooled
By tmedman

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car a little over a year ago and within a month I started experiencing total electrical failure. This has happened about six times over the last 14 months. I brought it to two dealers and nothing seems to fix it permanently. Acura roadside assistance is a joke unless you liking waiting 3 to 4 hours for help. The car looks great and when it is working (which is rare), it performs well. Gas mileage is dismal.

Favorite Features

Interior design and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Customer service; reliability; electrical system.