Used 2005 Acura RL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura RL - Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (237 reviews )

My Golden Chariot
By Marjorie Nave

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am 82 years of age and I am the one who furnished rides to all my friends day and night. I appreciate the headlight turning feature. I am a golfer and often take three friends on out of town trips so appreciate the size of the trunk. Also the sun screens in the back area are great.

The rear view side mirrors capability of turning down so one can view the curb as one backs to park. The beeping as I near an obstacle in the back that I had installed extra.

The road noise is much too loud. After driving Hondas for years I had promised myself the next auto would be quieter. The carpet strip as one enters is difficult to keep clean. It should be vinyl or leather.

Good Value? Yes. Great Car? Hmmmmm...
By Beltway Bandit

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am a BMW 7-series and Benz S class owner. Also had Escalade previously. The RL looked unique in design and the interiro was impressive at first. Factory refuses to address design flaw...exhaust stains the rear fender and no response provided. Stereo system about the best I've ever heard in a car...first-class. Like the 6- cylinder performance and road mileage. Tends to rumble in low gear early in the day. Dealer hasn't fixed yet. Lots of interiro rattle from rear window shade. Dealer has not fixed. With MSRP arounds 50 or a little less, a good value. But I don't know I would get another.

Sound system. Cruising performance.

Bigger trunk. More interior space. Better quality build...knock off the interior rattles and noise. Re-design so exahust does not stain rear fender (especially in white or lighter cars). Factory/dealer response has to be much better. This is a Luxury division, not a Honda.

The AcuraTaxiCab
By Captain Truth

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just keep 5 words in mind..HONDA ACCORD WITH BIG PRICETAG - thats what it is. I've given this vehicle about a year. Initial quality seemed okay. Since then it's a horror show. Rattles, squeeks, noises from windows, dashboard, back panels, seatbelts ...everywhere.. make it sound like a NYC taxi. I heard this before buying but didn't believe it. Now I do. Customer care is NON EXISTANT. Dealer is clueless and can't fix anything, even after bringing in new service mgr...car not fixed when returned, not ready when promised, etc. etc. Headquarters also seems unconcearned and is not responsive. Overall a major waste of money and miserable ownership experience compared to my prev. 2 Lincolns.

Smartly designed and appointed. Gives nice appearance of 'conservative sportiness'. Handles Well. Acceleration and ride adequate.Best feature is voice acitivation system - allows you to operate everything hands free. Nav. system also good, but accident reporting feature useless due to lags.

Should have a trunk not a glove compartment in back. Traffic reporting system useless and inaccurate prob. due to reporting lag. Keyless remote is stupid as you need key with you to get in regardless, so if you forget your key, you can't run to car to get something. Way too noisey for 45K car.

Awesome Car!
By stingerbtry

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the RL after looking at the GS and the M as well but found that I liked everything about the RL way more and for the price it couldn't be touched by the others. I am very happy with all aspects of the car and impressed with the performance from a 6cyl luxury car.

SH-AWD, Audio system, active noise cancelling, interior, everything!

Better tires with less road noise

Best Car Yet at age 65; well, really 66
By Jerome Ney

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned 3 Mercedes; 1 BMW; 1 Audi and this is the best. I enjoy the performance and great features. I also enjoy the top quality without drawing as much attention as one does with the higher profile cars above.

Great Navigation system and a super radio. I also like the acceleration and steering.

Car needs better city mileage; slightly more back seat leg room and definitely more trunk room. I also find the transmission a little jerky at low speeds.

• SUV