Used 2005 Acura RL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (236 reviews )

Good Value? Yes. Great Car? Hmmmmm...
By Beltway Bandit

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am a BMW 7-series and Benz S class owner. Also had Escalade previously. The RL looked unique in design and the interiro was impressive at first. Factory refuses to address design flaw...exhaust stains the rear fender and no response provided. Stereo system about the best I've ever heard in a car...first-class. Like the 6- cylinder performance and road mileage. Tends to rumble in low gear early in the day. Dealer hasn't fixed yet. Lots of interiro rattle from rear window shade. Dealer has not fixed. With MSRP arounds 50 or a little less, a good value. But I don't know I would get another.

Favorite Features

Sound system. Cruising performance.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger trunk. More interior space. Better quality build...knock off the interior rattles and noise. Re-design so exahust does not stain rear fender (especially in white or lighter cars). Factory/dealer response has to be much better. This is a Luxury division, not a Honda.

The AcuraTaxiCab
By Captain Truth

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just keep 5 words in mind..HONDA ACCORD WITH BIG PRICETAG - thats what it is. I've given this vehicle about a year. Initial quality seemed okay. Since then it's a horror show. Rattles, squeeks, noises from windows, dashboard, back panels, seatbelts ...everywhere.. make it sound like a NYC taxi. I heard this before buying but didn't believe it. Now I do. Customer care is NON EXISTANT. Dealer is clueless and can't fix anything, even after bringing in new service mgr...car not fixed when returned, not ready when promised, etc. etc. Headquarters also seems unconcearned and is not responsive. Overall a major waste of money and miserable ownership experience compared to my prev. 2 Lincolns.

Favorite Features

Smartly designed and appointed. Gives nice appearance of 'conservative sportiness'. Handles Well. Acceleration and ride adequate.Best feature is voice acitivation system - allows you to operate everything hands free. Nav. system also good, but accident reporting feature useless due to lags.

Suggested Improvements

Should have a trunk not a glove compartment in back. Traffic reporting system useless and inaccurate prob. due to reporting lag. Keyless remote is stupid as you need key with you to get in regardless, so if you forget your key, you can't run to car to get something. Way too noisey for 45K car.

Awesome Car!
By stingerbtry

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the RL after looking at the GS and the M as well but found that I liked everything about the RL way more and for the price it couldn't be touched by the others. I am very happy with all aspects of the car and impressed with the performance from a 6cyl luxury car.

Favorite Features

SH-AWD, Audio system, active noise cancelling, interior, everything!

Suggested Improvements

Better tires with less road noise

Best Car Yet at age 65; well, really 66
By Jerome Ney

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned 3 Mercedes; 1 BMW; 1 Audi and this is the best. I enjoy the performance and great features. I also enjoy the top quality without drawing as much attention as one does with the higher profile cars above.

Favorite Features

Great Navigation system and a super radio. I also like the acceleration and steering.

Suggested Improvements

Car needs better city mileage; slightly more back seat leg room and definitely more trunk room. I also find the transmission a little jerky at low speeds.

Undervalued
By rhorne1

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven this brand for 6 years with excellent reliability. I rate this vehilcle fully capaple of holding it's own. The RL adds style and the right package of "standard equipment" that meets your needs. The power from the high perf. V6 is awesome with respectable MPG. Clearly undervalued in my book. Enjoy yours!

Favorite Features

Ease of managing the multitude of electronic features; Blue-tooth, Real- Time traffic, Nav-system, and audio.

Suggested Improvements

Voice commands are sometime difficult unless operator uses "exact terminology". Also, Navigation screen is hard to see in bright sunlight